Hello,

I understand there is a lot of support for capacitative touchscreen, but I do not enjoy it because it is too sensitive for me.
    I currently have the z10, the resistance provides control particularly when typing I find, and accidents are less likely to happen compared to my HTC One M8 (too difficult to use outside, do not have time to concentrate on precision tapping).

Will the Classic have a resistive touchscreen or capacitive touchscreen? I would hope that it is resistive, if the trackpad is any indication of preserving user-friendly hardware from the past.
    06-22-14 08:39 PM
    All the phones you mentioned and the Classic have Capacitive touch screens. No phone these days will have a resistive.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 08:41 PM
    I haven't heard of a device with a resistive touchscreen in years

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 08:42 PM
    Oh, sorry. I'm not very up-to-date with the progress of touchscreen technology.
    Any particular reason why the Z10 provides a touchscreen experience that requires more force to register than a phone like the HTC One which is notorious for being overly sensitive?
    06-22-14 08:45 PM
    I haven't heard of a device with a resistive touchscreen in years

Posted via CB10
    WiiU controller does. Nintendo is about the only one who still uses them I think but it seems to work well.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 08:51 PM
    Oh, sorry. I'm not very up-to-date with the progress of touchscreen technology.
    Any particular reason why the Z10 provides a touchscreen experience that requires more force to register than a phone like the HTC One which is notorious for being overly sensitive?
    I think this was more of a software issue with the earlier versions of the os not being as optimized. I don't notice a difference anymore.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 08:58 PM
    Capacitive is all you're likely find on phones, these days. As you've correctly pointed out, capacitive can be MUCH more sensitive than passive resistive. Too much so, for some apps. Resistive rules in my corner of industrial HMI controls because of just that reason. Resistive requires some slight physical displacement and a detectible level of force from a user input. Capacitive will react with ZERO physical displacement and ZERO force. Sophisticated algorithms (gestures) can mitigate much of the hypersensitivity of capacitive but, as an engineer, i would generally consider it malpractice to specify capacitive touch HMI's for an industrial controls system. You just don't need to be unintentionally starting and/or stopping pumps, heaters, conveyors and other equipment because of a slight brush of a finger.

Resistive's downside is its susceptibility to damage and long term degradation. On the other hand, I've seen gorilla glass screens on BlackBerry's with classic spiderweb cracks and the touch digitizer seemed completely unaffected. Amazing tech! Equally irritating, at times, IMO. Now, if we could only have the option to turn off the digitizer on our 9900s and Q20's...
    06-22-14 09:35 PM
    Capacitive is all you're likely find on phones, these days. As you've correctly pointed out, capacitive can be MUCH more sensitive than passive resistive. Too much so, for some apps. Resistive rules in my corner of industrial HMI controls because of just that reason. Resistive requires some slight physical displacement and a detectible level of force from a user input. Capacitive will react with ZERO physical displacement and ZERO force. Sophisticated algorithms (gestures) can mitigate much of the hypersensitivity of capacitive but, as an engineer, i would generally consider it malpractice to specify capacitive touch HMI's for an industrial controls system. You just don't need to be unintentionally starting and/or stopping pumps, heaters, conveyors and other equipment because of a slight brush of a finger.

Resistive's downside is its susceptibility to damage and long term degradation. On the other hand, I've seen gorilla glass screens on BlackBerry's with classic spiderweb cracks and the touch digitizer seemed completely unaffected. Amazing tech! Equally irritating, at times, IMO. Now, if we could only have the option to turn off the digitizer on our 9900s and Q20's...
    You don't actually even need to touch a capacitive screen. Try it, get your finger REALLY close to the screen but don't touch it. It'll register it as a touch, lol.

Edit: dang, now that I want to do it intentionally I can't. There have been many times where I'm kind of just hovering my finger over the glass like while reading something or thinking and it'll register a touch without me actually touching it. Now it's hard to recreate...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10?
    06-22-14 11:05 PM
    You don't actually even need to touch a capacitive screen. Try it, get your finger REALLY close to the screen but don't touch it. It'll register it as a touch, lol.

Edit: dang, now that I want to do it intentionally I can't. There have been many times where I'm kind of just hovering my finger over the glass like while reading something or thinking and it'll register a touch without me actually touching it. Now it's hard to recreate...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10?
    Yeah, humidity will mess with capacitive function. The things might not even work at all if relative humidity gets below 5% or so. Also the device might need bodily contact with a conductive surface to equalize charge potential for establishing "earth" reference. Depending. ??
    06-23-14 03:56 AM
    The last smartphone I had with a resistive touchscreen was a HTC diamond pro!

OMG what a crap...

I don't think that you'll ever see one again!

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    06-23-14 04:08 AM