What is he playing at with the Passport, He is not a stupid man he is surely a highly intelligent man. But this new device will be the device that finally kills Blackberry. In technology you HAVE to keep moving forward if you stand still and you will be left behind. But if you do what Blackberry are doing and go backwards you go down a route you will not return from. Physical keyboard are a thing of the past there is a reason why the likes of Samsung and Apple don't use them, you won't see them bringing out a physical keyboard phone as there is only a very small amount of people want them hence why Blackberry has fallen so far behind them. It's easy the Z30 is an awesome phone all they need to do is bring out a updated version of it with the specs that can compete.

It's a sad day as I love using my Z30 and it seems as if it's going to be my last Blackberry I own as when it eventually dies of old age I will be forced to by an Android phone it's a real shame really Blackberry had a really good platform to build on with the Z30 but have decided to turn the complete wrong way. Sometimes different isn't always a good thing, Sometimes things like the Passport haven't been done because there isn't a market for them. If this was brought out when Blackberry first went to do touchscreens then it might have worked as it would be a progression towards touchscreen but to do it now is illogical and a daft thing to do.

R.I.P Blackberry :-(

Stuart
    06-22-14 10:54 AM
    You are entitled to your opinion, which is why he's CEO and you are not.

Z10 on Telus
    06-22-14 11:01 AM
    Keyboards are what differentiate BlackBerry from the rivals. Sure it may be a small niche market, but at this point blackberry is a niche player. I say he's doing the right thing. He's getting the keyboard products up to spec. Then if they like they work mandated BlackBerry phones they may consider the Z30 or its eventual successor as their personal phone.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 11:05 AM
    I still believe there is a market for smartphones with HW keyboard (although it might not be that big), they don't need to be the number 1, they just need to make some profit, I still hope it will sell, howgh.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 11:11 AM
    What is Chen playing at with the Passport?

Chen is not a stupid man. He is surely a highly intelligent man. But this new device will be the device that finally kills Blackberry. In technology you HAVE to keep moving forward. If you stand still you will be left behind. But if you do what Blackberry is doing and go backwards, you go down a route you will not return from. Physical keyboards are a thing of the past. There is a reason why the likes of Samsung and Apple don't use them. You won't see them bringing out a physical keyboard phone as there is only a very small amount of people who want them, hence why Blackberry has fallen so far behind them. It's easy. The Z30 is an awesome phone. All they need to do is bring out a updated version of it with the specs that can compete.

It's a sad day. I love using my Z30, and it seems as if it's going to be the last Blackberry I own. When it eventually dies of old age I will be forced to buy an Android phone. It's a real shame really Blackberry had a really good platform to build on with the Z30 but have decided to turn the complete wrong way. Sometimes different isn't always a good thing. Sometimes things like the Passport haven't been done because there isn't a market for them. If this was brought out when Blackberry first went to do touchscreens then it might have worked as it would be a progression towards touchscreen, but to do it now is illogical and a daft thing to do.

R.I.P BlackBerry.
    Added punctuation and removed run on sentences.
    06-22-14 11:17 AM
    What is Chen playing at with the Passport?

Chen is not a stupid man. He is surely a highly intelligent man. But this new device will be the device that finally kills Blackberry. In technology you HAVE to keep moving forward. If you stand still you will be left behind. But, if you do what Blackberry is doing and go backwards, you go down a route you will not return from. Physical keyboards are a thing of the past. There is a reason why the likes of Samsung and Apple don't use them. You won't see them bringing out a physical keyboard phone as there is only a very small amount of people who want them, hence why Blackberry has fallen so far behind them. It's easy. The Z30 is an awesome phone. All they need to do is bring out a updated version of it with the specs that can compete.

It's a sad day. I love using my Z30, and it seems as if it's going to be the last Blackberry I own. When it eventually dies of old age I will be forced to buy an Android phone. It's a real shame really Blackberry had a really good platform to build on with the Z30 but have decided to turn the complete wrong way. Sometimes different isn't always a good thing. Sometimes things like the Passport haven't been done because there isn't a market for them. If this was brought out when Blackberry first went to do touchscreens then it might have worked as it would be a progression towards touchscreen, but to do it now is illogical and a daft thing to do.

R.I.P BlackBerry.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    I've added some punctuation so that people can understand the good points that you are trying to make.

I totally agree with you. I don't think BlackBerry should drop the keyboard phone, but I think that one is more than enough in the BlackBerry line up. They should only have 3 phones total; two touch screen and one keyboard

Flatman, lift, thisbme and 3 others like this.
    06-22-14 11:18 AM
    Passport + Healthcare. Chen has been brilliant so far, you just cant see the forest for the trees. Each step he has made has been questioned by the short sighted and then turned out to be quit clever. Just give it some time before wasting your time posting about unfinished plot lines.
    stevepar, buwee, skxj and 8 others like this.
    06-22-14 11:27 AM
    Passport + Healthcare. Chen has been brilliant so far, you just cant see the forest for the trees. Each step he has made has been questioned by the short sighted and then turned out to be quit clever. Just give it some time before wasting your time posting about unfinished plot lines.
    I'm not sure I see the brilliance. Some of the things he has done may be brilliant if they succeed, but that has yet to be seen.

Before I can say he has been brilliant I want to see if the moves he has made will be wel received by the market and if they will turn around BlackBerry's fortunes. I'm not saying they won't, I just think it's too early to say one way or the other.

06-22-14 11:31 AM
    I do agree keep the classic one is enough there is no need for a second physical keyboard. The passport is just trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist anymore, not at any point have I thought when using my Z30 what it needs is a physical keyboard.

Yes Blackberry are known for the physical keyboard but they are a thing of the past and that kind of thinking is what held Blackberry back, there is no room for nostalgia in the technology business, you simply move with the times or you get left behind and eventually disappear.
    idon12no, thisbme and tack like this.
    06-22-14 11:34 AM
    I do agree keep the classic one is enough there is no need for a second physical keyboard. The passport is just trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist anymore, not at any point have I thought when using my Z30 what it needs is a physical keyboard.

Yes Blackberry are known for the physical keyboard but they are the thing of the past and that kind of thinking is what held Blackberry back, there is no room for nostalgia in the technology business, you simply move with the times or you get left behind and eventually disappear.
    Agree 100%.

thisbme likes this.
    06-22-14 11:36 AM
    I think everyone needs to just let the man steer the ship. Obviously he is a smart man and has done his homework and is doing a much better job in the short time compared to anyone else that has been CEO of this company. He's been around for a while, and I am sure he is well aware of the risks that he may or may not be taking. I am sure everything he is doing is well thought out, and we just need to let him execute, which so far, he has been doing
    drknobs, xBURK and Senor Wright like this.
    06-22-14 11:43 AM
    I think people are getting the wrong idea about the Passport. It's not for touchscreen fans. It's for travelling businessmen and doctors. People who need a solid keyboard and large screen for viewing business-related pictures; X-rays, photos, blueprints. Who knows, maybe it will run autocad?
    06-22-14 11:49 AM
    I think people are getting the wrong idea about the Passport. It's not for touchscreen fans. It's for travelling businessmen and doctors. People who need a solid keyboard and large screen for viewing business-related pictures; X-rays, photos, blueprints. Who knows, maybe it will run autocad?
    Travelling is the key word there. which pocket will that thing fit into? it doesn't look very portable to me.
    Last edited by stuart445; 06-22-14 at 12:03 PM.
    jstirtzinger likes this.
    06-22-14 11:52 AM
    What is he playing at with the Passport, He is not a stupid man he is surely a highly intelligent man. But this new device will be the device that finally kills Blackberry. In technology you HAVE to keep moving forward if you stand still and you will be left behind. But if you do what Blackberry are doing and go backwards you go down a route you will not return from. Physical keyboard are a thing of the past there is a reason why the likes of Samsung and Apple don't use them, you won't see them bringing out a physical keyboard phone as there is only a very small amount of people want them hence why Blackberry has fallen so far behind them. It's easy the Z30 is an awesome phone all they need to do is bring out a updated version of it with the specs that can compete.

It's a sad day as I love using my Z30 and it seems as if it's going to be my last Blackberry I own as when it eventually dies of old age I will be forced to by an Android phone it's a real shame really Blackberry had a really good platform to build on with the Z30 but have decided to turn the complete wrong way. Sometimes different isn't always a good thing, Sometimes things like the Passport haven't been done because there isn't a market for them. If this was brought out when Blackberry first went to do touchscreens then it might have worked as it would be a progression towards touchscreen but to do it now is illogical and a daft thing to do.

Stuart
    They are moving forward. The Passports keyboard is an innovative touch capacitive keyboard that allows the use of swiping gestures. Oh and note to everyone else, I recommend buying the Verizon version. They are Unlocked Dual Band CDMA / GSM World Wide versions.
    06-22-14 12:03 PM
    Why do they need a keyboard to view x-rays, photos, and blueprints?

The idea that doctors and businessmen all want keywords is flawed. My ex-gf is a doctor and says that she mostly uses her phone to read emails not send them. When she isn't typing she needs the bigger screen. Same thing applies to businesses.

tack likes this.
    06-22-14 12:04 PM
    There is no more reason for you to stay with BlackBerry. Just Go away and go quickly, no body force you to stay, maybe android forum more welcome you. Bye bye just don't forget to leave your z30 behind right now.

Stuart
    Z30Commission likes this.
    06-22-14 12:12 PM
    So mrgabriel, so it basically does what my Z30 does but with a physical keyboard. As I said they are trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

That keyboard hasn't been invented before by someone else not because it's been over looked it's because it's not needed.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 12:16 PM
    There is no more reason for you to stay with BlackBerry. Just Go away and go quickly, no body force you to stay, maybe android forum more welcome you. Bye bye just don't forget to leave your z30 behind right now.
    Good idea. With thoughts like that BlackBerry might as well just close the doors now.

FYI: It's views like that which put BlackBerry into their current predicament.

JeepBB, tack and Blacklatino like this.
    06-22-14 12:17 PM
    Okananan I think you'll find I will be proven right sadly, the Z30 is an awesome phone one BlackBerry need to build on but they've gone the other way. That abomination will not be the saviour of Blackberry

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 12:18 PM
    I don't think Chen made this phone.. i'm thinking some group of people in the business world were asking for it. I like it because it's something different. Guess we'll see what happens when it's released.
    maddie1128, thymaster and pcguy514 like this.
    06-22-14 12:19 PM
    I've added some punctuation so that people can understand the good points that you are trying to make.

I totally agree with you. I don't think BlackBerry should drop the keyboard phone, but I think that one is more than enough in the BlackBerry line up. They should only have 3 phones total; two touch screen and one keyboard

There are still a few missing, but is more legible. Thanks. =0)
    06-22-14 12:21 PM
    Did Chen mention anywhere that he has killed the full screen technology especially after just launching the z3.. ok now it the keyboard devices' turn for all the BB fans who really like the physical keyboard. I'm at a point where I'm going to upgrade to my next full screen BB10 device... I know it won't be this year, but I'm sure it's be early next year for the z30 successor.. seems there already one out there in the works (reference link below)

BlackBerry Reportedly Showed Off New, Unannounced Devices At London Event
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    06-22-14 12:24 PM
    I don't think Chen made this phone.. i'm thinking some group of people in the business world were asking for it. I like it because it's something different. Guess we'll see what happens when it's released.
    That seems possible. Why would there be more than one keyboard launching within 3 months of each other? Who knows.
    06-22-14 12:25 PM
    That seems possible. Why would there be more than one keyboard launching within 3 months of each other? Who knows.
    He makes the Passport for Health Care and who ever else was asking for it.. great.. and still sells it to who ever else wants it also.. even greater. It's all good i think. Not everyone has to like it. My wife said she would dump her Note 3 for the passport.. that's good i think.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-22-14 12:29 PM
    BlackBerry aren't going to be creating devices based on some hunch, foolish whim or an itch under the armpit. The Passport serves a niche purpose and a niche target. People are getting their knickers in a twist for nothing. So everybody needs to sit back and take a deep breath. John Chen is the right man at the right moment for BlackBerry. He is steering the company towards safer waters.
    DJM626, newfie1974, Snap51 and 9 others like this.
    06-22-14 12:32 PM
692 123 ...