Admittedly, Blackberry's relationship with the carriers hasn't been as rosy as it has in previous years. We saw this in Canada with BB's move to sell phones direct to the public because of the store-front promotion issues they've had with carriers. I would assume no carrier would stock a dual SIM phone they intend to release on contracts.

Dual SIM's may not be a huge lure in the general consumer market, however I personally know at least 6 people who would buy a business blackberry with hard cash today if BB came up with a dual-SIM device. Question, is this a viable idea for a premium "limited release" BB business phone to have a dual SIM variant...or are there perceived negatives in your opinion with associated with dual SIM BB device? Would you buy one?

AV
    06-21-14 09:19 PM
    Dual SIM is big in the East. However, for some reason, BB's never really paid much attention to the genre. Personally, I don't see such devices doing too well in North America because most people don't get service from multiple carriers at the same time, probably phone service bills. are. too. damn. high.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-21-14 09:33 PM
    This was actually addressed on the AGM call I believe, I forget what Chen said. I'll see if I can find the audio.
    06-21-14 09:34 PM
    Found it... https://soundcloud.com/bla1ze/google...-20140621-2349. Sounds like they're actually working on it.
    06-21-14 09:54 PM
    I've got a dual SIM pseudo feature phone by Blu (got it in the Caribbean)... when I'm home in the US I use it to keep my two frequent travel (Barbados and El Salvador) prepaid sim card numbers "active". When I travel with my wife, and she gets a local sim too, we throw in our Verizon SIMS into the Blu so we can still receive calls to our regular numbers.

Would be neat, but not really a must have for most of the "consumer" North American market. Definitely should be incorporated into the next revision of the Z3 for the regions Chen mentioned in the clip.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 10:13 PM
    That was a great soundbite thanks! Summarizes my thoughts exactly on the issue! As a premium feature I would theorize that many in the business community would jump on this ability, especially if dual SIM is integrated and managed via the BB BALANCE functionality. Im one of those guys who carries two phones around.
    06-21-14 10:15 PM
    That was a great soundbite thanks!
    No problem, glad to help.
    06-21-14 11:40 PM
    Found it... https://soundcloud.com/bla1ze/google...-20140621-2349. Sounds like they're actually working on it.
    Aware of it but there are technical issues. It's basically a function of cost/benefit. If the cost of implementation outweighs the reward, bbry will not do it. Otherwise they won't. Chen is very forward about direction. He will not do things that don't make money. Period. He is watching cash flow and as an investor, I have */;':$$/ in my pants.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 07:35 AM
    Interesting feature for any snowbird, and for any of us working types hoping to escape south for a month or a week in the winter.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 08:35 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=940231

I finally get a decent answer. I guess I just had to ask properly. Funny how both of us members who have asked this question have aircraft as avatars. Thanks for the answers Bla1ze. I knew someone must have been talking about it.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 08:44 AM
    Well, Bla1ze, I will buy that dual simcard BlackBerry. Since I have 5 mobile phone numbers and are active to call (I always bring 4-5 smartphones in my handbag, not including my Note Pro). Believe me, If there is no difference in tech spec for both single or dual simcard that BlackBerry product, I think a Dual Simcard BlackBerry will be sold well in Indonesia or for business men that have more than one mobile phone number, especially in GSM.

Btw, BlackBerry already has a World phone edition (GSM n CDMA are included), but we must choose which one is active. It will be really nice if BlackBerry can make it dual On, always.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 08:54 AM