Last year I switched from Android to BlackBerry. The most important thing for me was, that all these Androids were going to be bigger and bigger. I mean, honestly, 5", 5.2" and now 5.5" for a _mobile_ phone?
    I need my phone to call, text (Whatsapp, BBM, Telegram and so on) and sometimes for a web search. If I wanna play games on the go, I just play with my gaming handheld. If I wanna watch movies, I think it's way more comfortable to do this at home on a tablet or TV instead of watching it on a little screen..

So I just don't need these giant screens. But due to the fact, there are no small sized Androids with good specs, I was searching an alternative. Apple iPhone is a no go for me and WP is just nothing what appeals to me.
    There was only BlackBerry with a well-speced Smartphone with a 'compact' form factor. 4.2" are just perfect for me.

In the last weeks everyone speaks about the Classic, the Passport.. and well.. a potential high-end full-touch with 5". No words about a Z10 successor, no words about the demand of such a device.

Is there anyone out there who thinks BlackBerry should build a high-end compact full-touch or am I alone with this demand?
    I wouldn't be a BlackBerry customer if they haven't had the Z10 with it's compact size and I don't think I would buy another BlackBerry if they're going the same way as all others except Apple. A Slider would do it as well for me. A 16:9 or 16:10 Full-Touch with a sliding QWERTZ-Keyboard would be a nice deal - implied it would be in a compact size.

Sorry for the long OT. I just wrote down my thoughts about this.

What do you think? Is a compact-sized Smartphone as important as a 'big' device with 5" or am I the only last guy who wants a compact phone?

Typed on a BlackBerry Z10.
    puppet1, pystha, strongo and 2 others like this.
    06-21-14 07:01 PM
    I think there is definitely still a demand

It depends if there enough demand for blackberry to release one, as I'm sure you know a device closer to 5 inches has more popular appeal.

However the bones are in place with the all touch form factor, and it wouldn't cost TOO much to put one out.

Personally I'm looking forward to the classic but you aren't the only person who desires a a medium form factor all touch like the z10
    06-21-14 07:09 PM
    There are actually plenty of smaller high end androids like you are looking for. As for BB it appears the Z10 is about all you can choose for now. Nothing on the horizon yet for a replacement for that either.
    06-21-14 07:27 PM
    I'm very sad the Z10 is the last of its size probably. How I wish the Z50 would be that size. Just higher specs, better battery, and with 10.3...

Sent from another beautiful blue using Tapatalk Pro.
    ronfc, Jrox74 and Breezygirl8 like this.
    06-21-14 07:31 PM
    I agree. The size and bright LCD screen made it perfect for me. Now the only phones on the horizon are a health care square device and a nostalgic remake of the bbos phones.

I know Chen is going after vertical industries with niche devices, but I'm not a niche.
    06-21-14 07:45 PM
    The problem with 'high end' in the android world is, that android needs a lot of hardware to run smooth. A dual-core SoC won't do it. The only android with a nice form factor I know is the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact. Quad-core CPU with 2 gigs of RAM. These 'minis' from HTC or Samsung are not high-end phones. So I don't see "plenty of" phones which have high end specs. I want to have a phone which runs smooth without lags on the homescreen.
    I know, that's a android problem.
    But this is the point. A really smooth experience is only on other operating systems. A iPhone 5 or 5s is not lagging, a WP with better specs is not lagging and all of you now, BB10 is not lagging anytime. So I have to choose a small phone from these three options. iOS is no real option for me, 'cause I hate it how Apple tries to control you. Windows Phone has no really good speced Phones with a small form factor, I think. Maybe the 1020 is not too big.
    The only real option is a BlackBerry. BB10 is superior in my eyes. It's just efficient and smooth.

A Classic is maybe the right for me in the near future. But a square screen?

Sorry. But I can't understand, why BlackBerry use a square screen ratio. 16:9 or 16:10 is today, 1:1 ratio is like ten years old. (please don't take this too serious) I think it wouldn't matter whether the screen is horizontally or vertically aligned. Both options would be a plus for Web surfing i.e.

So I'm back to the slider. The best of both worlds since it connects the positives of a full-touch with the superior BlackBerry QWERTZ-keyboard.
    I hope, BlackBerry is planning such a device.

06-21-14 07:51 PM
    Android manufacturers stay away from 4" phones as their flagship because they know they can't compete against IPhone. This is why I think the Z10 failed because it was too close to the IPhone size and too small for Android users that were already at 4.7" to 4.99" when the HTC One and S4 came out. Android separated itself from IPhone by going bigger. Apple has realized this and is now purportedly coming up with a 4.7" or even 5" phone as they know the market has changed.
    06-21-14 07:53 PM
    The problem with 'high end' in the android world is, that android needs a lot of hardware to run smooth. A dual-core SoC won't do it.
    Android lag seems to be more complicated than just processor power. Manufacturer skin, memory, bloatware, etc. all seems to contribute to it - even moreso than processor power.

I keep noticing multiple reviews that mention occasional lag with the new monster LG G3. Yet the "lowly" Motorola G is consistently mentioned as being very smooth (not for gaming necessarily, but normal use at least), as is the Moto X. My RAZR Maxx HD occasionally stutters when switching tasks, yet my friend's RAZR M (very similar except it's Z10-sized) rarely if ever lags.

So, just saying... it's complicated
    06-21-14 08:41 PM
    Android has lag on lower specs because nothing runs native. That's part of it being open sourced isn't it?

To add on: Because of that, there can be more bloatware and system UI tweaks. Overall it's down to what the individual manufacturer wants to pack in it?

Sent from the Berry via Tapatalk.
    Jrox74 likes this.
    06-21-14 09:05 PM
    Dude, whatever specs it has, just trust me and do not get a windows phone... I got one for my mom and for the week I spent with it to learn it, set it up, and just use it so I can answer any question my mom might have, the OS just drove me up the wall... The only good thing I can say about it is the customizable tiles on the homescreen. That's it, everything else is the least intuitive system you could imagine...

I would go as far as to say get an iphone before you get a WP. They do try to control you, but at least their OS is intuitive to use...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10?
    shadwellal likes this.
    06-21-14 10:16 PM
    I like the physical size of the Z10 but note that with smaller bezels BlackBerry could have made a 4.5 inch device. Smaller bezels and a better camera and battery. I prefer my Z10 over my wife's iphone 5 except for the camera.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 06-22-14 at 10:44 AM.
    06-21-14 11:17 PM
    OP you are not alone in wanting a phone smaller than 5" screens. My ideal phone size would be 4.7" with very little bezel edges. I don't like these new giant phones.

IMO if I can't use my phone with one hand then it's a phablet. Of course, that's going to be different for everyone, but that's where I get my 4.7" size. 4.7" is the largest I can go and still use it comfortably with one hand. I also think 4.7" is generally a good size balance between being too big and too small.
    06-21-14 11:36 PM
    As I've said in many threads in think BlackBerry should have two touch screen phones. One that is Z10 or iPhone size and another that is Z30 or GS5 size.

OP, I definitely think there is still demand for a smaller device.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    06-22-14 11:34 AM
    I too want a z10 replacement.
    Maybe a touch bigger, and standard size, but that?s it. And no bezel. (yes I know unless you're LG you are going to have a bit of a bezel).
    With tricked out specks and a gimmick to make it sell. (qnet please...)

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 07:57 PM
    I want a Z10 sized device with larger screen due to reduction in bezel size, upgraded internals, and a larger battery (if needs to be non removable so be it). I think they should be able to get a 4.5 to 4.7" screen in the existing Z10 dimensions.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    06-22-14 09:29 PM
    I want a Z10 sized device with larger screen due to reduction in bezel size, upgraded internals, and a larger battery (if needs to be non removable so be it). I think they should be able to get a 4.5 to 4.7" screen in the existing Z10 dimensions.

they can get 5 inch screen out of a device about the same size as the z10 i am sure. They wasted space to put the "blackberry" stamp at the bottom of the z10 wasting all the room needed for the 5 inch screen
    06-22-14 09:41 PM

Exactly my feeling, A 4,7 inches screen would fit perfectly the Z10 dimensions. Add AMOLED, add miracast, add a little more battery even if the phone should be thicker (with AMOLED, that would be better anyway) and that's my perfect device !

Some dreamt concept here
    :
    strongo and KingOfQwerty like this.
    06-23-14 04:36 AM
    The largest part of the market is shifting Towards full touch devices with 5.xx size. Gartners figures show a significant part of the tablet market is moving in the direction of larger phablet sized phones. Smaller ful touch phones will become a rarety. You could call this a niche market. A little bit the same as phones with a seperate keyboard. The quistion should be: which market should blackberry (or would) address. Are these niche markets large enough to create the volume needed to be profitable!

If the application mix on Blackberry phones suits these niche markets, there could be a.chance that blackberry will servive without addressing the larger market areas.

I'm not convinced that these niche markets are large enough to be succesfull and/or profitable! Therefore blackbeery also needs mainstream phones, mainstream applications and needs to address mainstream users.
    06-23-14 05:11 AM
    Dude, whatever specs it has, just trust me and do not get a windows phone... I got one for my mom and for the week I spent with it to learn it, set it up, and just use it so I can answer any question my mom might have, the OS just drove me up the wall... The only good thing I can say about it is the customizable tiles on the homescreen. That's it, everything else is the least intuitive system you could imagine...

I would go as far as to say get an iphone before you get a WP. They do try to control you, but at least their OS is intuitive to use...

Replace Windows Phone with BlackBerry and post on another thread in this forum and watch yourself get ripped to pieces. What's so unintuitive about Windows Phones?
    06-23-14 05:26 AM
    OP, are you sure that there are enough of you guys out there that want Z10 sized newer phone? Will the numbers justify BlackBerry making another one?

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 07:06 AM
    Would it help if the new Z10 was called a Z30 mini?

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 07:16 AM
    I was in CVS the other night and a guy was talking on his Galaxy Note. It looks ridiculous when held up to your ear. You might as well be holding a netbook to your face.
    pystha likes this.
    06-23-14 07:24 AM
    OP, are you sure that there are enough of you guys out there that want Z10 sized newer phone? Will the numbers justify BlackBerry making another one?

Posted via CB10
    I think, that's one of the biggest problems. Today everything has to be big to be cool or modern. But especially in the business I heard from a lot of people, that they want a _mobile_ device. At least in Germany there are enough people, buying a iPhone due to the form factor. They just don't want a brick but a slim device, which is small enough for one handed use.

I'm new to the BB-World. Is there any place for users like me, where I'm able to contact BlackBerry to let them now, there's a demand in this 'niche market'?

06-23-14 09:44 AM
    Replace Windows Phone with BlackBerry and post on another thread in this forum and watch yourself get ripped to pieces. What's so unintuitive about Windows Phones?
    Geez I've repeated the list so many times, I'll just sum it up to a few things to save my thumbs today. How about in the call screen the icon to switch to dialpad is just mixed into a random jumble of icons, and there's no consistency between the screens. The end call icon is also just mixed in with that jumble. To answer a call you have to unlock the screen first?? And within their core apps, there are often these tiny little icons that are unlabeled, and not really optimized for a touchscreen (because of their size and sometimes proximity to the edge) It literally took my mom a few months before she realized that one tiny icon in the phone app was for the voicemail... She had 240 voicemails waiting for her because she could never figure out how to get to them. (she's not at all tech savvy, but you really shouldn't need to be to do these things...)

Contrast that to the Z10, she figured all of that out on her own after just a day or two using it... The only thing I had to show her a few times was the swipe up and the swipe up and right gestures to exit a program and to look into the hub. She actually figured out the pressing the X to close an active frame thing without me saying anything to her...

You really see what is intuitive and what isn't when you hand your device over to someone who is older and not really into modern technology...

Carterbits likes this.
    06-23-14 03:19 PM
    Geez I've repeated the list so many times, I'll just sum it up to a few things to save my thumbs today. How about in the call screen the icon to switch to dialpad is just mixed into a random jumble of icons, and there's no consistency between the screens. The end call icon is also just mixed in with that jumble. To answer a call you have to unlock the screen first?? And within their core apps, there are often these tiny little icons that are unlabeled, and not really optimized for a touchscreen (because of their size and sometimes proximity to the edge) It literally took my mom a few months before she realized that one tiny icon in the phone app was for the voicemail... She had 240 voicemails waiting for her because she could never figure out how to get to them. (she's not at all tech savvy, but you really shouldn't need to be to do these things...)

Contrast that to the Z10, she figured all of that out on her own after just a day or two using it... The only thing I had to show her a few times was the swipe up and the swipe up and right gestures to exit a program and to look into the hub. She actually figured out the pressing the X to close an active frame thing without me saying anything to her...

You really see what is intuitive and what isn't when you hand your device over to someone who is older and not really into modern technology...

In the Call screen the Icon to switch to the dial pad is fairly obvious. It's also not a random jumble of options, its what people use most in a phone call. The end call battle is also clearly mapped out, you just know what it is. To answer a call if the phone is locked, you swipe up and answer it, otherwise the phone remains locked while the call is ongoing. Making a phone call with Windows Phone | Phoning | Windows Phone How-to (United Kingdom) check it if you don't believe me.
    The voicemail app resides in the phone app, were else would it be, and if the tile had a notification isn't it obvious that there is something you are being notified about...also, the icons are labeled, if you press the three dots, you can see the labels..
    Handing my phone over to a five year old and they can pretty much do anything.

Honestly, most of your complaints are trivial, I mean how the hell do we figure out what the share icon is on any platform (on WP it is represented by the word Share), on others it looks like a recycle bin...
    illlya likes this.
    06-24-14 03:01 AM
45 12