BlackBerry Passport!! How to type special characters and numbers? (Eg. 1,2,3... *, (, ), \)-passport8.jpg

I was looking at this picture of the new BlackBerry Passport. And then I looked at the keyboard, only three rows of keys so then I compared it to the Q10 keyboard....

BlackBerry Passport!! How to type special characters and numbers? (Eg. 1,2,3... *, (, ), \)-large-360.jpg.original.jpg

This is what i noticed.
    - There is NO SHIFT key (arrow up) to get capital letters,.... I think it's okay. Dictionary, and Smart Typing in OS 10.2/10.3 can put capital letters where needed, but what if I purposely want to put a word in UPPER Case?

- There is NO ALT key (alt) to have access to the second layers of the keyboard keys.... So how do we type specials characters or numbers?

- There is NO SYMBOL key (Sym) to bring up a virtual keyboard for those special characters again.

How is Blackberry planning to achieve typing with this phone? Is that keyboard not complete yet? Will they Split each key, like on the Q10 to allow special characters? Or maybe 10.3 has a hidden virtual keyboard that the Passport will use? But then typing will be a pain, if we have to hit physical and virtual keys simultaneously.

Watch the video from Chen again, Am I missing something?

06-21-14 12:01 PM
    Swipe down obviously.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 12:10 PM
    Swipe down obviously.

Posted via CB10
    What do you swipe down?
    06-21-14 12:12 PM
    Swipe down on the keyboard and the special characters are shown. Just like in the Z10 and Z30.

Posted via CB10
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    06-21-14 12:22 PM
    Double click

Q5-10.3.0.296/441(radio)
    06-21-14 12:24 PM
    The keyboard is is essentially touch capable. Swipe down on the keyboard and it will bring up other options. It's hard to tell u though since there are no hands on videos. It's not incomplete though

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 12:27 PM
    The physical keys are touch screens apparently so swipe down on the last key you just pressed.
    06-21-14 12:50 PM
    I've heard that once you start typing for the first time the phone asks you to say a few weird words and records you. Once you do that the phone knows exactly how you sound and using extremely complicated math can predict any type of things you can say to him. So from there on once you start typing you can just say to the phone stuff like "dash" or "coma" and it'll put them in between the text for you.

I'm also disappointed that the processor remains the ****y Snapdragon 800 (it's not even the overclocked 801 version) -that's supposed to be a next gen phone...stop using a 18 months old processor pls :/
    06-21-14 01:06 PM
    BlackBerry Passport should have a nick name as BlackBerry Magic!

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 01:14 PM
    I've heard that once you start typing for the first time the phone asks you to say a few weird words and records you. Once you do that the phone knows exactly how you sound and using extremely complicated math can predict any type of things you can say to him. So from there on once you start typing you can just say to the phone stuff like "dash" or "coma" and it'll put them in between the text for you.

I'm also disappointed that the processor remains the ****y Snapdragon 800 (it's not even the overclocked 801 version) -that's supposed to be a next gen phone...stop using a 18 months old processor pls :/
    Where did you get this knowledge? Sounds sweet dont get me wrong, im just curious.
    06-21-14 01:22 PM

I heard that you don't have to say anything at all, I heard that with a Google glass type device you just look at the screen and your thoughts are printed on the screen.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 01:52 PM
    Since when Snapdragon 800 is bad? 801 is only something like 5-10% faster, and since the it's just a overclocked 801, it will be less battery efficient. Passport is clearly your business phone, not the netflix or games phone...

And BB10 is pretty quick with the now very outdated dual core snapdragon S4, so it would be a Massive jump in performance witht he 800. Remember that BB10 seems to be way less CPU power hungry compared to android.
    Bolderholder and Rello like this.
    06-21-14 02:01 PM
    I don't have any information to back this, but a swipe or some gesture to cycle through a pop up virtual fourth row of keys would be a cool way to handle it
    06-21-14 02:02 PM
    Regarding to OP, I'm also very very curious....
    06-21-14 02:07 PM
    I don't have any information to back this, but a swipe or some gesture to cycle through a pop up virtual fourth row of keys would be a cool way to handle it
    I don't realy like that... It's like giving away some of the capabilities of the full keyboard, I realy hope there's a clever way to do it straight from the keybard without having to move to the touch screen, because it can slow down your typing speed if you have to go to the touch screen all the time....
    But I'm still more concerned about moving the last row of keys one space to each side... it will make for a challenge if you switch between passport and the "classic" keyboard layout.
    06-21-14 02:10 PM
    As far as I understand, you use the physical keyboard of the Passport in the same say as a virtual keyboard on the Z series.

So, in standard you have 3 Ross of keys, and if you want others you swipe down on the keyboard. And then other letters appears.....

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 02:12 PM
    How about you swipe down which brings up a virtual wheel on the screen which you can navigate with from the keyboard by moving in a circular pattern to select your # or symbol. Just a guess.

Posted via CB10
    sfor13thlegion likes this.
    06-21-14 02:38 PM
    Swipe down, illumination of the keys will change accordingly and repectively of the other characters like those in print on previous BB's.

- that are may you gotta pass a test that you're a hardcore BB user and you KNOW where each symbol is when you use the ALT key
    06-21-14 03:06 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	passport8.jpg 
Views:	2965 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	279461

I was looking at this picture of the new BlackBerry Passport. And then I looked at the keyboard, only three rows of keys so then I compared it to the Q10 keyboard....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	large-360.jpg.original.jpg 
Views:	3538 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	279462

This is what i noticed.
    - There is NO SHIFT key (arrow up) to get capital letters,.... I think it's okay. Dictionary, and Smart Typing in OS 10.2/10.3 can put capital letters where needed, but what if I purposely want to put a word in UPPER Case?

- There is NO ALT key (alt) to have access to the second layers of the keyboard keys.... So how do we type specials characters or numbers?

- There is NO SYMBOL key (Sym) to bring up a virtual keyboard for those special characters again.

How is Blackberry planning to achieve typing with this phone? Is that keyboard not complete yet? Will they Split each key, like on the Q10 to allow special characters? Or maybe 10.3 has a hidden virtual keyboard that the Passport will use? But then typing will be a pain, if we have to hit physical and virtual keys simultaneously.

Watch the video from Chen again, Am I missing something?

So you ask how to type uppercase ona BlackBerry qwerty device? Press & hold the letter to capitalize.

Q10
    Supa_Fly1 and Plazmic Flame like this.
    06-21-14 03:16 PM
    So you ask how to type uppercase ona BlackBerry qwerty device? Press & hold the letter to capitalize.

Q10
    Well, how will you do this on the passport?
    06-21-14 03:25 PM
    I believe previous poster meant it would be the same for passport.

Q10, running 10.2.1.2141
    06-21-14 03:28 PM
    Press and hold the letter.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 03:31 PM
    The keys are touch sensitive... Either swiping/flicking, or may be a "secret" technology that changes the key-display??
    That's it, guys: swipe up and the keys turn their displayed letter into numbers and symbols!?!

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    nightridah likes this.
    06-21-14 03:35 PM
    The keys are touch sensitive... Either swiping/flicking, or may be a "secret" technology that changes the key-display??
    That's it, guys: swipe up and the keys turn their displayed letter into numbers and symbols!?!
    BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    That would be awesome
    06-21-14 04:40 PM
    Yep, swiping to change characters, and flicking words just like on the Z's. The keyboard also works as the track pad

Posted with my Z10
    nightridah likes this.
    06-21-14 04:56 PM
100 123 ...