Hi,

I'm using a Q10 on the latest official OS. I decided today to sort out a few things I'd been meaning to do; I backed up my phone and backed up the media card. After this I decided to activate device and media card encryption.

Can anybody shed some light on these questions?

How secure is the media card encryption? Likelihood of it being broken and decrypted if stolen?
    Is it true that the media card must be decrypted before doing an /official/ OTA OS update?

Thanks,

Jonny
    06-21-14 09:11 AM
    it apparently is very secure. an ota upgrade is safe. but any other type will wipe the password and access to the card's data will be lost.
    06-21-14 10:55 PM
    That's correct. It's AES encrypted. If you change phones, or wipe your phone, the media card can't be decrypted.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 01:15 AM
    Thanks for your replies guys. Feel much safer having enabled all encryption; it completed overnight and the phone is still running smooth and responsive.

Jonny

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 09:11 AM
    You won't notice any performance issues with encryption on your BlackBerry 10 handset; BlackBerry 10 is that good/powerful. Your encrypted data is safe. Do back it up elsewhere like on your computer, a DVD, or USB drive. Anything could happen even if you do everything right. For example, your media card itself could fail due to some defect or you could lose your phone, card and all. Back the data up somewhere else in unencrypted form. If you're worried about it sitting unencrypted on your computer, encrypt it using another program made for the purpose, but don't try to store the media card files on your computer if they are in their encrypted-by-BlackBerry format. Regularly people post here how they lost "years' worth of precious, irreplaceable photos" usually because they did something wrong with the encryption process. They usually imply that it's BlackBerry's fault, but it always raises the question if these photos are so precious and irreplaceable why are they stored in only one place, an encrypted media card which itself can fail or be lost, etc.?!? Either they are that short-sighted or stupid ... or they're trolls trying to smear BlackBerry.
    06-22-14 02:04 PM