What if we're going about this the wrong way. Chen has to make every part of BlackBerry profitable. With him giving native app devs the shaft and getting the amazon store he will see more sales of BlackBerry products. People want to try the phones and still be able to get apps. That will give him more market share.

With more market share apps like vine, snapchat and instagram have more of a chance to go native. Even with them distancing games and stuff from BlackBerry World and telling them they have the choice to go native or go to amazon's store, they still are updating the tools in the 10.3 SDK. Native development will always be here. What Chen wants is to get lots of money to develop the the best products he can to gain market share.

More money=> better products=> more market share=>more devs looking at platform=> more chance for native apps

I think BlackBerry needs to clean up BlackBerry World also. All those apps that haven't been updated since launch date need to be removed. Lots of android ports need to be removed since we're getting the amazon store. Things need to be built for BlackBerry and that saying needs to go back to be a prestigious stamp of approval.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 11:47 AM
    I'm not sure how his plan will shake out. but I am hoping that somehow those native app developers do not get shafted and actually DO end up in better shape! After all, they have been here all along when no one else was.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    06-20-14 12:29 PM
    Totally agree with the OP. Something needed to change or the whole handset division was going to die. At least now there's hope for the future.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 01:19 PM
    I'm not sure how his plan will shake out. but I am hoping that somehow those native app developers do not get shafted and actually DO end up in better shape! After all, they have been here all along when no one else was.
    I mean if you think about it, with the updates to the android runtime being able to speed up apps like native we really won't have a problem. Sure native is always better but people don't even know about the product yet for them to even consider native. Chen is smart. He's actually gaining more than losing. The never said absolutely not to develop native, they said they're only going to show off productivity apps because they're on their enterprise hype.

Posted via my BeastBerry Z30
    mithrazor likes this.
    06-20-14 02:35 PM
    Let me say this, every move by JC is borrowed and learnt from The Arts of War. How to win by less is just one of the technics. He once said like this "You read the translated version, I read the original".

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 03:51 PM
    But, this will mean more battery drain bc of the runtime always being used.

They need to make the runtime super efficient

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 03:56 PM
    But, this will mean more battery drain bc of the runtime always being used.

They need to make the runtime super efficient

Posted via CB10
    They do need a major update to the runtime. It needs to operate smoother, and use less battery drain. Hopefully in 10.3.1 it gets updated for these improvements. I wonder how apps will work on the passport.

06-20-14 06:13 PM
    Except the Amazon market is well known for lacking apps too.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    06-21-14 08:46 PM
    Except the Amazon market is well known for lacking apps too.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Not as bad as BlackBerry. Lol we can all agree to that. At least amazon has the power to push devs onto there side.

06-22-14 01:07 AM
    This.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 02:50 AM
    My fear is that BlackBerry HUB will not be utilised to its full potential. I am completely sure amazon app store apps will NOT have hub integrated apps.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    mjdimer likes this.
    06-22-14 03:01 AM
    After watching a video of an interview with Chen my biggest worry is that with the tip of the iceberg now well above the water in allowing Android apps via Amazon etc, that BlackBerry might be looking to make purely Android phones and drop any native OS. Chen never denied nor rebutted any questions on this, stating bluntly that he can't comment on that. Time will tell.

Careful! Z10....er..... BlackDroid in action!
    06-22-14 03:09 AM
    Well, I agree with OP, because the bigger parties have always said that BlackBerry is not considered a serious platform, because of the low marker share. If the Amazon store plan works, that argument will be invalid in the future. People have to see the true power of BlackBerry 10 by experiencing it. A part of that experience will be native vs Android and people loving the native experience will demand things.. So yeah, terrific post OP!

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 03:12 AM
    Is that you AJ? As usual fantastic post.
    06-22-14 03:40 AM
    I agree, but in my opinion they're walking away from the consumer market: i.e. outsourcing it to Amazon - and in doing so shafting BB10 cascades developers. If it were me as a developer, I'd find it easier to go from Cascades to Obj-C (ie iPhone). Goodbye native app development, and goodbye hub integration.

If you think that this would build market share, and thus increase the likelyhood of getting native apps, I can't agree with you for two reasons.

1. The sales force out there is totally turned off BlackBerry. Why would they recommend a phone that has a second rate android app store, that has apps that may or may not work, and are usually behind in versions than Google Play? Have you *ever* considered buying an Amazon tablet over a standard android tablet? I haven't.

2. After this change of heart, why would a developer take the time to learn cascades and take the risk - all to make a subset (Amazon a subset of all android stores) of the subset (amazon apps on Blackberry) of the android app community happy? Microsoft is injecting huge amounts of cash into attracting developers, and they're having trouble.

N4BB is reporting that the app store won't be native, and that any app that isn't enterprise won't be promoted on BlackBerry World. There's just no win here, in my mind, for consumers. I actually cancelled a z30 order when this news came out

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 04:01 AM