Frickin love the Passport! I want it to be my next smartphone very badly. I am also heavily invested in the Google ecosystem and need the phone to be able to run Android apps - especially Google+ (for photo backup), YouTube, and Hangouts. Are the new BlackBerry phones able to run all the Android apps? Are there any exceptions?
    06-19-14 08:53 PM
    no it wont. it will be just like all the current BB10 devices in that respect
    stevepar likes this.
    06-19-14 08:56 PM
    So when I hear people say BlackBerry can run Android (and now Amazon Appstore) apps, what are they talking about?
    06-19-14 08:58 PM
    Yes, it will be able to work with some Android apps.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 09:11 PM
    Most apps will work, except Google services. New 10.3 will run Google maps and yes YouTube as it does now in 10.2.1 but I don't know about others as don't use personally like hangouts doubt if needs Google services.

Mr A Hanif BlackBerry10
    06-19-14 09:14 PM
    All BB10 devices have capability to run Android apps that do not depend on Google services. Even third party apps that depend or use Google services won't run properly.

BlackBerry make it available but then legally speaking they have to have some kind of deal with Google.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 09:49 PM
    I love my BlackBerries and I dont use google 's apps.

Users who are heavily reliant on google apps should stick to android I believe.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    stevepar, jackytin and m1kr0 like this.
    06-19-14 10:23 PM
    Google translate app works, but I haven't tried goggles other first party apps..

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 12:35 AM
    I might buy this if it can run google maps flawlessly
    06-20-14 01:00 AM
    So when I hear people say BlackBerry can run Android (and now Amazon Appstore) apps, what are they talking about?
    They are talking about apps not restricted by Google ?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-20-14 02:01 AM
    Well the 10.3 runtime might do it. Plus the hardware will minimize any lag even further.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-20-14 02:02 AM
    Passport is going to have the same restrictions than other bb10 phones.
    If you really "can't live" without Google apps, you should look on Android phones. Yes BB10 can run (some) android apps, but it still not as perfect as it was a native app.

Posted via my French Q10
    06-20-14 02:04 AM
    Passport is going to have the same restrictions than other bb10 phones.
    If you really "can't live" without Google apps, you should look on Android phones. Yes BB10 can run (some) android apps, but it still not as perfect as it was a native app.

Posted via my French Q10
    Remove the Google restrictions and the 10.3 android runtime would be nearly perfect.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-20-14 02:09 AM
    i totally dislike google (one reason why i am bb user) and over here in russia we have yandex which is exactly the same as google, but not soo "google" they have all the same services like yandex.translator yandex.mail, yandex.maps everything that google has too, so i can use them without any problem on my Z10...
    06-20-14 05:25 AM
    I love my Z10 but with what looks to be the next generation of BlackBerry smartphones such as the ugly huge looking "passport " and the dated looking "classic", unless a new high tech all touch smartphone gets released it sadly looks like a change in carrier for me at my next upgrade in January 2015. Sadly!

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 08:43 AM
    I love my Z10 but with what looks to be the next generation of BlackBerry smartphones such as the ugly huge looking "passport " and the dated looking "classic", unless a new high tech all touch smartphone gets released it sadly looks like a change in carrier for me at my next upgrade in January 2015. Sadly!

Posted via CB10
    I hear ya.

None of the phones appeal to me.The Z30 is the flagship phone right now, but I'm not into the size at all. My Z10 size is just perfect for me, but this ain't gonna last forever.

I continue to remain optimistic that maybe next year, something new will come out from BlackBerry that catches my liking.

Zwiped from my Zed
    06-20-14 08:48 AM
    with a screen so gargantuan you have the ability to run any google crap from the website.
    well thats what i am expecting. Apart from Gmail i aint locked in to anything. MicroShaft, Nokia, GAAgle.
    06-20-14 08:50 AM
    I'll by the Windermere in all cases. However, I really would love to have better maps experience, more native apps. And better desktop software.

BlackBerry will stay #1 mobile for me.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 08:56 AM
    Is there anyway to link my device with my clash of clans ?

Q5-10.3.0.296/441(radio)
    06-20-14 02:53 PM
    Why dont all you google loving people buy a google phone?

I dont get it.

BlackBerry is for security and privacy. If you are going to use google apps and services obviously you dont care for security and privacy so why bother with BB10?

If you are giving them some access to your data might as well give ALL! And when they have all data they can give you customised services for free (because that will give them better control on how to mine you and how to push things to you) you want to let them know everything about you! From what you had for breakfast to what time you come back at night!

Seriously you google fans. Just go android! Google gives out all these great services for free! Maps, plus, now etc, because they love you so much and dont want ANYTHING from you!

FYI I was being sarcastic.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    Last edited by Q10Nutter; 06-20-14 at 03:13 PM.
    NtotheK likes this.
    06-20-14 03:00 PM
    Not all Android devices are Google Play Services certified.

Android is open source. Any manufacturer can put it on a phone for free. But Google hasn't approved it for their own apps, so that phone won't have access to Google Play, or be able to run any of the apps that depend on Google Play Services.

Many, many phones are like this. There are hundreds of "budget" phones out there that do this, and there are some high-profile forks like the Kindle Fire and Nokia X; none of these can run Google apps, either.

Google has done some interesting things in the past while, including certifying a Cyanogen Mod for Google Play, but it's extremely unlikely that BlackBerry would even try to certify the BB10 Android runtime through Google; they'd be handing over too much control.

Hope this helps.
    m1kr0 and saintforlife like this.
    06-20-14 03:01 PM
    Is there anyway to link my device with my clash of clans ?

Q5-10.3.0.296/441(radio)
    10.3 is supposed to bring some enhancements for Android, including proper integration to the accounts on the phone (so, for instance, Android apps will be able to pick up whatever Facebook account you've registered on the phone instead of making you enter it in a browser page).

These enhancements MIGHT make CoC work.
    06-20-14 03:03 PM
    Yes, passeport Will be able to run google translate, chrome, YouTube and more but not google drive or other google app Who need google service necessary as google drive google + etc
    06-20-14 03:10 PM
    Also even if you are devoted to Google, but still want to enjoy BlackBerry but can't live without stuff like Google drive, you could always migrate the stuff over to Outlook services. Microsoft offers most of the same services and the privacy is just as unsecure as Google.

I only really use Google for Youtube so I have no problem with using other services such as Mega or Box for my online storage or startmail and Hushmail as my email service

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 04:36 PM
    Try Waze.
    06-20-14 04:40 PM
54 123