Wouldn't it be great if BlackBerry gives an embedded stylus with the Passport? It has a quite large screen so it would be great if we can have a "note experience" on it. What do you guys think?

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 08:24 PM
    Maybe it's one of those many accessories Chen was talking about
    A holster with an included slot for a stylus could be a good combo

Posted via CB10
    mujiieee likes this.
    06-19-14 08:28 PM
    So chen was talking about accessories too? I hope stylus was included. Tbh I'm considering to move from z10 to droid, probably galaxy note but passport looks quite appealing. I hope 10.3 n windermere would be a great development from BlackBerry so I won't need to go to droid..

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 08:42 PM
    Probably a good place to raise my question about Passport..
    Does anyone know if we could do the current on screen gestures on this capacitive KB ?..

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 08:55 PM
    BlackBerry should seriously consider pen input and particularly handwriting recognition. Also, since Native development is not the major priority with massive layoffs, they should consider building some serious BUSINESS TOOLS for productivity to attract business users.
    dejanh, mujiieee and neoberry99 like this.
    06-19-14 09:04 PM
    I'm sure someone will sell us a stylus for it. When Chen mentioned the accessories, I was sure he meant the beloved Cradle.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 09:32 PM
    +1 for the stylus. I use mine all the time on my Note 3. It's a great addition. Especially for browsing.

Sent from my Tab 3 using Tapatalk Pro
    06-19-14 09:42 PM
    I think that it's stupid, sorry not sorry. Reminds me of Nintendo's DS. Never used the stylus.
    06-20-14 01:48 AM
    I never used a stylus, so I can't really imagine how useful it coul be.
    But I always think about old palm, or heavy Android 1st gen phone when I heard stylus... I don't see the interest for people like me, but I can totally understand that some people need one

Posted via my French Q10
    06-20-14 02:20 AM
    Stylus could be usefull for me because sometimes I need to mark something in a picture and write a short explanation about that and share it instantly with other people. I can't do that with my z10 while my sister who work in the same company with me can easily do that with her note 3, that's why I'm interested to have a note too.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 02:32 AM
    I'm sure someone will sell us a stylus for it. When Chen mentioned the accessories, I was sure he meant the beloved Cradle.
    What is this "Cradle"?

I never used a stylus, so I can't really imagine how useful it coul be.
    But I always think about old palm, or heavy Android 1st gen phone when I heard stylus... I don't see the interest for people like me, but I can totally understand that some people need one
    Once you try, you cannot be without it.

And we are not talking about capacitive stylus, but real pen like the one used on Surface.
    06-20-14 02:35 AM
    What is this "Cradle"?

Once you try, you cannot be without it.

And we are not talking about capacitive stylus, but real pen like the one used on Surface.
    Yup.. I don't think capacitive stylus is good enough as a pen. a "real pen" is what it should be..

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 02:45 AM
    Right when I saw the device I was hoping that there would be a stylus somewhere in there. It's got the rounded corners so it would fit perfectly.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 10:45 AM
    Being a Microsoft Surface Pro owner, I was thinking about how it would benefit the Passport.

NOTE TAKING:

As a Microsoft OneNote user, I find using a stylus as a note taking device depends heavily on the user. If your handwriting is great and you can organize your thoughts properly (instead of doodling), it can work well. The problem is that most people don't and the OneNote file size will quickly balloon with scribbles. This isn't a good thing for a mobile device with limited amount of storage (the Surface has 64GB).

COLLABORATING:

I was also thinking it would be a good idea for "collaborating". In the real world however, it doesn't work as well. People rather draw on a white board then huddle around your tablet. It is just human nature.

CORRECTING DOCUMENTS:

Same with Word documents or PowerPoint presentations. You see demos where people "correct" wrong things on the page. In reality, people will rather "type in" their revisions and track their changes. A graphical correction circle on the document and handwritten notes, don't work. It just takes more space and actually create more work as people have to "clean up" the document.

TECHNOLOGY:

For a true stylus experience with multiple pressure level sensitivity, you need something like what Wacom uses. This technology requires more hardware installed to the screen for tracking and consumes power in the background. Would you want to sacrifice battery life to have this technology enabled?

USABILITY:

It is true that a stylus will allow you to get good control to select small items. I used it to navigate traditional Windows Desktop applications because they aren't designed for touch and are tiny. Even then, it is sometimes so painful to do properly (double tap for left click, hold for right click) that I switch to its sad touch pad to navigate.

Try navigating while holding the device in one hand, a stylus in another, and then try touching. You are out of hands.

CONCLUSION:

In the end, my summary is that the Surface Pro and most mobile devices with a true stylus works the best for graphic artists where they can sketch on the go. Everyone think they are an artist but in reality, it is a skill that most people don't have. For the vast majority, a stylus is just feature which rarely gets used.

Don't believe me, ask any Samsung Note user and see how many times they actually USE the stylus. You will find out it is a lot less than you think.
    walt63 likes this.
    06-20-14 02:00 PM
    I use the pen all the time... sometime is not perfect, but it's good.
    06-20-14 05:30 PM
    The screen needs to be capacitive to really be a beast. You can use a plain stylus on your BlackBerry and most tablets now. But capacitive touchscreens and pens are the best experience.

Samsung devices and Microsoft Surface Pro uses this technology. Taking notes and signing documents on the Surface Pro is so lovely.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 05:44 PM
    If they are focusing the Passport on the medical field as one of their areas, which seems to be the case, as stylus should come with it, and be supported. That's a no-brainer, or should be.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 07:34 PM
    So that would mean BlackBerry is making a device that's competitive with the Samsung Note 3. While that would be great, I honestly don't think they're there yet.

Since the PlayBook lost support, I switched to the Samsung Note tablet and I have to say I love it more than I did my PlayBook. I use it for work and school and I don't have to carry any paper note books. I can only imagine what the phone is like. Since I love my Z10 so much, I refuse to get an android phone.

If blackberry is to get competitive in the consumer market again, they will need to step their hand held game up.

I say for now, focus on staying in the black and keeping business / enterprise users. Maybe in 1 or 2 years they can think about competing in the consumer market again.

Just keep doing what they're doing and they will be alright.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 07:52 PM
    Please its a PEN and not a STYLUS. Pressure sensitive WACOM or N-Trig Pen.
    walt63 likes this.
    06-20-14 08:04 PM