Now this is getting too complex (and utterly confusing): Nokia, being recently acquired by Microsoft has gone the Android route by releasing an Android Launcher

Yes, Nokia has released an Android launcher

"The Android launcher scene might be getting a little out of control -- even Nokia (whose X phones are now under Microsoft's wing) is getting into the game. The Finnish firm has just released Z Launcher, a home screen replacement that gets you to frequently-used apps, contacts and sites as quickly as possible. The software learns your habits and surfaces the content you're most likely to use based on where you are, what you're doing and the time of day. It might put your calendar app at the top when you're in the middle of the workday, or highlight Instagram when you're out on the town. You also don't have to dive into the app tray if you're looking for something specific; you can draw an item's first letter to bring up a narrow set of results.

Z Launcher's interface may be simple, but getting a copy may prove tricky. It's currently available only to a limited number of users in a rough alpha release. And while the alpha should run on many Android phones, Nokia has only tested on the Nexus 5 and recent Galaxy S models -- don't be surprised if other devices throw a fit. We've also noticed that the launcher download process is hit-or-miss, so you may have to be patient. Still, this is your big chance at seeing how Nokia designs an interface for other companies' handsets"

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3175
    06-19-14 06:23 PM
    Because Windows has the same problem as BlackBerry. Lack of apps means the consumer passes them over. I have only seen one windows phone and it was owned by the son of a guy who runs a microsoft consulting company.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 06:44 PM
    It's from the part of the company that wasn't acquired by Microsoft. They've been making software for Nokia phones. Seems that they don't know what to do now that the Devices and Services division is gone.

Posted via CB10
    Bla1ze likes this.
    06-19-14 06:45 PM
    Because Windows has the same problem as BlackBerry. Lack of apps means the consumer passes them over. I have only seen one windows phone and it was owned by the son of a guy who runs a microsoft consulting company.

Posted via CB10
    Every person I've seen with a windows phone was working for MS or had it given to them by work.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 06:58 PM
    Every person I've seen with a windows phone was working for MS or had it given to them by work.

Posted via CB10
    Found a 1020 laying on the sidewalk a few weeks back.
    The owner took over two hours to call it!

..Z10 using CB10
    06-20-14 04:38 AM
    I've seen a decent number. There are a few devices.

I even advised someone to pick up a 520. It was the only half decent device at that price range At the time. Sturdy little bugger.

Z30 OS 10.3.0.711
    06-20-14 05:12 AM
    Its part of the Nokia team that wasn't acquired by Microsoft. What's confusing? They're coders.
    06-20-14 07:24 AM
    The smartphone and feature phone business plus patents went to Microsoft. The separate Nokia company remaining after the acquisition has nothing to do with smartphones and comprise a team of about 6000 people mainly responsible for Here Maps.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3175
    06-20-14 04:42 PM
    Completely unrelated so sorry for derailing this thread.. Just thinking out loud, couldn't BB do something similar that gives people swipe up and a makeshift hub. Also the same keyboard as a small taste of bb10 on android to get people hooked on the interface.
    06-20-14 09:03 PM
    BlackBerry should maybe think about doing the same thing. Everything about how BB10's UI works and looks could be brought to Android. The keyboard, hub, gestures, all of it. They could charge some money for it in Google Play and they'd already have most of the work done if they ever decide to release a full blown Android device.

Jolla is doing the same thing with their UI. Which is kinda strange in that case because they are also working on bringing the entire Sailfish OS to a large percentage of Android hardware and already have it for the Nexus 4.
    06-21-14 12:39 AM
    omg i had this idea for universal search so long ago!! lol

Yes, Nokia has released an Android launcher
    06-21-14 01:48 PM
    Perhaps it's because Nokia is going to build Android phones. At CES this year Nokia announced low-end phones with android. Nokia x-phone or something like that..

Maybe I find the news to this later.

Typed on a BlackBerry Z10.
    06-21-14 07:05 PM
    Perhaps it's because Nokia is going to build Android phones. At CES this year Nokia announced low-end phones with android. Nokia x-phone or something like that..

Maybe I find the news to this later.

Typed on a BlackBerry Z10.
    Nokia can't build ANY hardware until 2016

Plus the Nokia X phones have MS services not Google Play services
    06-21-14 10:21 PM
    06-21-14 11:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    Someone at work tried a windows phone out and returned it. Whoever made the weather app icon look like a map is an *****.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 07:15 AM