Quite often when I want to perform an instant action or universal search, when I hit the first key, it recognizes the press and goes to the search box, but doesn't enter the actual key. Example, if I want to search the web, I'll start typing google, but it gets entered as oogle. What I have to do is hit the first key and wait to see if it worked, then keep typing. Works abut half the time.

Anyone else seeing this? I'm on 10.2. Vzw.
    06-19-14 08:56 AM
    ya i either wait a second for it to show up or just hit the button twice so I don't have to backspace. I rarely use it though because it's annoying
    06-19-14 09:17 AM
    It depends if the search feature is running "warm" or if the application is from a cold start
    06-19-14 09:23 AM
    Yeah this happens to me all the time. It's also slow to open the 'sym' menu when you're typing in a text box. I can't stand it when my phone can't keep up with me. It's still the most productive/efficient OS for my needs, but these little things [that weren't present in legacy BBOS] are frustrating nonetheless.
    06-19-14 09:56 PM
    I have only noticed this issue if my first character is a number. The phone doesn't register the shift. Letters I haven't had an issue.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 10:08 PM
    I have only noticed this issue if my first character is a number. The phone doesn't register the shift. Letters I haven't had an issue.

Posted via CB10
    Strange, mine never misses the shift and gets the number right off the bat.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 10:10 PM
    Yep, same annoyance for me. If you're typing swiftly it misses the first keystroke in universal search.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 02:50 PM
    This can happen if the first key you press is already assigned as a shortcut for some other function. That function will activate first, and then the 2nd key you press will initiate the Search.

There are hundreds of keyboard shortcuts for the Q10, and they change, depending on which app you are using. To see them all, type H to bring up Help, and search for keyboard shortcuts.

Posted with my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.2947/2274 Radio
    06-20-14 03:02 PM
    That might just be it, I don't use speed dial at all but I use universal search extensively. So I've not set any speed dial shortcuts and my universal search works perfectly every time.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 05:32 PM
    I'm sure that's what is happening with the OP then.

06-20-14 06:53 PM
    This can happen if the first key you press is already assigned as a shortcut for some other function. That function will activate first, and then the 2nd key you press will initiate the Search.

There are hundreds of keyboard shortcuts for the Q10, and they change, depending on which app you are using. To see them all, type H to bring up Help, and search for keyboard shortcuts.

Nope, that's not true. Tried it with several keys, some with shortcut labelled and some without. If you type really fast it misses the first letter on everyone. Only seem to be able to do it if letter are on another finger like typing "la" it will miss the "l". When typing the same letter or use the same finger for another letter I cannot seem to do it. When the search is already open it does catch every letter no matter how quick you type.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 12:36 AM
    Nope, that's not true. Tried it with several keys, some with shortcut labelled and some without. If you type really fast it misses the first letter on everyone. Only seem to be able to do it if letter are on another finger like typing "la" it will miss the "l". When typing the same letter or use the same finger for another letter I cannot seem to do it. When the search is already open it does catch every letter no matter how quick you type.

Posted via CB10
    And again. My universal search never misses a letter, ever. So it's clearly something on your end and not at the OS level.

I don't have any speed dial associations; do you?

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 02:56 AM
    The OP never followed up after our responses, so it could be a combination of things, including keyboard shortcuts, speed dial, or simply typing speed.

And again. My universal search never misses a letter, ever. So it's clearly something on your end and not at the OS level.

Posted via CB10

06-21-14 04:50 AM

Posted via CB10
    I have the same experience as Jeroean. Maybe it's a CPU issue. Or lack of some other system resource. Or maybe we just multitask quicker than you and the phone can't keep up.
    06-21-14 12:08 PM
    Tried removing my speed dials, still misses that first input. It knows I've typed something, as it immediately opens the search box, it just doesn't always enter that first character. So it's clearly sensing the key press but a bug is telling it to ignore the character.
    06-22-14 08:56 PM
    I'm 10.2.1.3175 loaded through SIC wipe & load. No issue here, and I multitask just as fast as anyone here; perhaps faster than most.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 11:10 PM
    I'm 10.2.1.3175 loaded through SIC wipe & load. No issue here, and I multitask just as fast as anyone here; perhaps faster than most.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe I'll have to update at some point from the 10.2.1.2174 I've been on for months. Not sure I have the energy and time to revisit how to do all of that again.
    06-24-14 01:20 PM
    Wait... how do I activate keyboard shortcuts from the home screen on the Q10? One of my biggest complaints about the phone, compared to the curve, is that I no longer have those shortcuts... OS 10.2.1.2273... we're the shortcuts added back in after that version?

One of my second biggest complaints is the universal search sometimes not recognizing the first key press. If I type very slowly it will but rarely can I control myself to do that.

It would be nice if numbers could register as the first character in a global search too but I would call that a major issue since I rarely start with a number (each time I do I got tripped up though).

07-09-14 12:05 PM
    Often misses the first key with me, I have no shortcuts set. Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.3247

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 12:25 PM
    You just need to type really quickly to encounter it. Maybe we just need to slow down for a bit...

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 02:43 PM
    Wait... how do I activate keyboard shortcuts from the home screen on the Q10? One of my biggest complaints about the phone, compared to the curve, is that I no longer have those shortcuts... OS 10.2.1.2273... we're the shortcuts added back in after that version?

One of my second biggest complaints is the universal search sometimes not recognizing the first key press. If I type very slowly it will but rarely can I control myself to do that.

It would be nice if numbers could register as the first character in a global search too but I would call that a major issue since I rarely start with a number (each time I do I got tripped up though).
    No shortcuts from home screen. At least not that I've read. Haven't heard of them coming back in 10.3 either.
    07-09-14 04:31 PM
    Might as well go back to dial up modems while we're at it...

You just need to type really quickly to encounter it. Maybe we just need to slow down for a bit...

Posted via CB10
    Denny_Crane and Oddsocket like this.
    07-09-14 08:28 PM
    Only happens to me when I type too fast. I pause for 1 second before I type "text (enter number here).

If I don't wait it comes up as "ext (enter number here)"

Patience is key young grasshopper.

Currently wielding: BlackBerry Q10 - Nexus 5 - iP5. Connect with me at: www.profitwithmateo.com
    07-10-14 03:36 AM
    The comforting sound of that... that would be great.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 06:31 AM
    Here is a list of the Q10 keyboard shortcuts:
    The full list of BlackBerry Q10 keyboard shortcuts | CrackBerry.com

And from Blackberry's website:
    http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...3010758177.jsp

07-17-14 02:34 PM