Hello,

My wife and I are planning to upgrade from our dumb phones to BBs. She wants the 8220, I want the Storm. We are both contemplating the Bold as well.

Does the 8220 or the Bold have back lit keys?

I checked my more than 4 years old Gmail account and with a quick calculation I found that the average total size of email messages I receive a month is 60MB. This, of course, includes attachments.

If I don't open an attachment only read the message, does it still get downloaded with the Gmail message (and therefore counts against my monthly limit)? Or does the attachment only get downloaded if I open it?

In other words, if I want to see (not read) all my email messages (i.e. the headers, but not the message bodies) and then select which message I actually read, am I saving money by not reaching my monthly megabyte limit?

Thanks!

Gabor
    Last edited by grevesz; 11-19-08 at 10:59 PM.
    11-12-08 10:46 PM
    The blackberry will compress your emails down initially cutting that 60 mb pretty significantly. Secondly, unless you specify otherwise, it will only download the message fragments as you actually read it. So yes, if you don't read all the messages and open all the attachments you will save on the monthly megabyte usage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-08 07:10 PM
    They both have backlit keys.

Also, attachments are downloaded only when you manually request the attachment, saving unnecessary data usage. Using Wi-Fi should also keep your cellular data usage way down.

BTW, Gmail is awesome on the Blackberry. I have 3 Gmail accounts set up on my BIS mail accounts for push messages, but I also highly recommend the free Gmail application for Blackberry, which gives you access to most Gmail functions, all mail search, etc.
    11-19-08 10:43 PM
    Thanks for the response and the good news!

Using Wi-Fi should also keep your cellular data usage way down
    • How do I know if Wi-Fi is available?
    • Can the Storm use Wi-Fi?
    • What's the (dis)advantage of using Wi-Fi other than what you mentioned above?
    • What else can I use other than Wi-Fi?
    • Is Wi-Fi free?

As you can probably tell, I am a newbie in these matters so any teaching would be more than welcome and highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Gabor
    11-19-08 11:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD