So I decided to give the Moto X a try, given how well reviewed it was.

After about a week with it I had seen enough.

Some good things about it and android in general:

-I like how the phone pulses the time and notifications (just a basic icon though, like if you got a new email, it'd be the email icon) while using basically no battery.

-related to the above, it has motion and other sensors so that when I pick up the phone or take it out of my pocket, it turns on the preview screen (not the lock screen Btw, which is different) and I can instantly check the time and notifications.

-the swype keyboard and swiftkey are fun to use, a nice change

-google services including now, voice, maps etc are very powerful and very useful wow. With the Moto x specifically, I can activate the phone with my voice alone and send emails, check weather, set alarms etc very smoothly. Voice control on android is very well executed and I use it a lot vs on my BlackBerry phones I don't use at all.

-the apps available run smoothly as intended. BlackBerry really needs to improve on the android apps bc they don't run perfectly on occasion. Google Newstand is amazing.

-the moto x can detect when you're driving and automatically read out tour texts to you. Likewise, you can set the phone to quiet so that the on silent mode, but if the same numbers tried to call you twice in 5 mins it'll ring.

-it randomly has cool virtual reality games pop up out of nowhere for you to play around with

So why did I go back to BlackBerry? Bc in the end, I use my phone mostly for email and messaging and basically for productivity. The keyboards available on android, while nice, still don't do it for me when compared to BlackBerry's, esp on the z30.

The battery life on the moto x was one of the best of the android phones and it was abysmal compared to the z30 and the q5 and q10.

Overall, the total experience of bb10, in comparison to android is more suited to my uses as a somewhat of a professional user.

Android is fun and great for consuming media, playing around with widgets and home screens etc but in the end, it's just not as sleek to use nor is it as productive as a bb10. It really does feel toyish and juvenile.

I still stand by my view that if I ran a business and needed to choose phones for my employees, it would bb10 phones hands down. Probably the qwerty devices unless there are specific features like USB otg or miracast that are needed.

Posted via CB10
    Morty2264 and Alvin Loh like this.
    06-18-14 12:47 AM
    Excellent review based on your experiences. Thank You very much. The points regarding pocket detection and voice technology were very interesting. I hope BlackBerry can make leaps and bounds in voice with the next generation of phones. That would be valuable to me as I travel.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-18-14 01:03 AM
    Thank you for a very honest and we'll written review. I'm glad you're enjoying your BlackBerry! The Moto X sounds great, too!

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 01:08 AM
    The Moto X is the best android phone I have ever used. It has so many convenient features like you have mentioned. It doesn't try to wow you with specs but with features instead. The only reasons I got rid of it was the abysmal camera and modest battery life. The size and shape is pretty much perfect to me. Only thing I miss using it was the Hub and the classic blinking LED . I agree the widgets in android in general could use some sort of consistency; it just looks odd with all these different shaped widgets. I'm definitely giving the next version of the Moto X aka X+1 a try while I wait for a Z50 or something.
    06-18-14 01:16 AM