FWIW!

From this site:
    BlackBerry ra m?t t?i Vi?t Nam ng�y 18/6 | genK.vn

Slightly edited GT:

BlackBerry representatives in Vietnam have recently sent out invitations to attend the 18/6 BlackBerry smartphone Z3 launch event. So after landing in the Southeast Asian market, the BlackBerry Z3 will officially be launched in Vietnam.

BlackBerry Z3 purportedly being launched in Vietnam next week, on the 18th-1-thumoi-z3-1402655497901.jpg

Price of this cheap smartphone is yet to be announced but according to predictions, BlackBerry Z3 will cost from 4.5 to 5 million VND and direct competition with Zenfone 5 A500 (4.5 million) and Nokia XL (3.7 million). In general, the price of the BlackBerry Z3 is quite attractive and will definitely attract more users in Vietnam.

Configuration, will integrate BlackBerry Z3 5-inch screen resolution of 540x960 pixels with dual-core Qualcomm MSM8230 1.2 GHz and 1.5 GB RAM. Equipped with 5 megapixel resolution camera, support auto focus and LED flash while the front camera resolution reaches 1.1 megapixel. 2,500 mAh battery which, unfortunately, cannot be removed. 8 GB of internal memory that can be expanded via microSD card slot.
    4.5 to 5 M VND = $210-235 USD
    06-13-14 10:20 AM
    great to hear its getting to more markets
    Corbu likes this.
    06-13-14 10:26 AM
    One Country at a Time!
    Corbu likes this.
    06-13-14 10:28 AM
    Yay! woo hoo!!! Cant wait!

Posted via CB10
    06-13-14 11:02 AM
    It's more than the $200 USD mark though

Posted via CB10
    06-14-14 04:51 PM
    It's more than the $200 USD mark though

Posted via CB10
    I'm not very familiar with the Vietnam market but maybe it's the duties and taxes which take it over the $200 amount? Could someone who is familiar with it confirm.
    06-14-14 10:19 PM
    I'm Vietnamese and I approve this message! I refuse to chat with some of my friends because they're using WhatsApp, Viber, Line and Tango but not BBM!

Vietnam has a lot of taxes on imports but cars and electronics are probably amongst the worst. Off topic - let's say if you buy a Toyota Camry for around $23,000 CAD in Canada, you would expect to fork out maybe around $60,000 USD for the same car because the government adds more than 100% taxes plus other duties! They probably want less cars on the roads and get more people to use electric scooters or motor bikes or whatever you call them ;p

I'm not very familiar with the Vietnam market but maybe it's the duties and taxes which take it over the $200 amount? Could someone who is familiar with it confirm.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu likes this.
    06-14-14 10:46 PM
    I'm Vietnamese and I approve this message! I refuse to chat with some of my friends because they're using WhatsApp, Viber, Line and Tango but not BBM!

Vietnam has a lot of taxes on imports but cars and electronics are probably amongst the worst. Off topic - let's say if you buy a Toyota Camry for around $23,000 CAD in Canada, you would expect to fork out maybe around $60,000 USD for the same car because the government adds more than 100% taxes plus other duties! They probably want less cars on the roads and get more people to use electric scooters or motor bikes or whatever you call them ;p

Posted via CB10
    What is an example of a smartphone price markup?
    06-14-14 10:55 PM
    What is an example of a smartphone price markup?
    I don't know if a lot of things have changed nowadays because I haven't been back for almost 10 years ;p. But according to the price range of the Z3 on that announcement, it seems to be around 20% more when converting it to USD.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-14 11:37 PM
    It feels so weird reading in Vietnamese about BlackBerry ads. While I was living over there, I never heard of BlackBerry. Granted I was living in the poor side of the country. I didn't know anyone that uses cellphone let alone a BlackBerry.

I don't know about the market over there is like, but I hope it goes well for BlackBerry. I feel like a lot of people using iPhones and Samsung over there. Going to be hard to compete.
    06-15-14 01:30 AM
    You are definitely right and BlackBerry is not that popular in Vietnam. I hope with the launch of the Z3 into the country at very competitive prices will promote the brand and create more awareness to gain more user base. The cost of marketing there is a lot cheaper too so hopefully BlackBerry is going to play the cards right.

It feels so weird reading in Vietnamese about BlackBerry ads. While I was living over there, I never heard of BlackBerry. Granted I was living in the poor side of the country. I didn't know anyone that uses cellphone let alone a BlackBerry.

I don't know about the market over there is like, but I hope it goes well for BlackBerry. I feel like a lot of people using iPhones and Samsung over there. Going to be hard to compete.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-14 01:42 AM
    The 4.5-5M VND is speculation at this point. That would put the phone at about 215 or so. A little over 200, yes, but there is no sales tax here either. So it'll be 215 out the door, not 200 plus 6-8% sales tax.

Blackberry is not real popular here anymore, Nokia is. So is Samsung. But BlackBerry doesn't carry the negative stigma here either like it does in the US or elsewhere. Noone will question your choice.

If the main mobile phone shops ( FPT, Viettel, Thegioididong) pick it up it should do reasonably well.

As far as a mobile phone "mark up" there isn't one. Phones sell at the normal off contract price they do in other countries. The example another person used of the car price markup, while true, is not really relevant for mobile phones. They sell at a traditional off contract price. Incidentally, there is no such thing here as a "free" phone. There are no contracts so no carrier subsidy. Everyone in Viet Nam uses prepaid Sim cards.
    Last edited by jefbeard911; 06-15-14 at 02:34 AM.
    Corbu, davinci4real and ptpete like this.
    06-15-14 02:14 AM
    Woot woot VN!!
    06-15-14 03:44 AM
    I don't know if a lot of things have changed nowadays because I haven't been back for almost 10 years ;p. But according to the price range of the Z3 on that announcement, it seems to be around 20% more when converting it to USD.

Posted via CB10
    Gotta go back bro
    06-15-14 03:46 AM
    Posted via CB10
    06-15-14 01:11 PM
    The economy must be booming fast over there =).

I heard Nokia is moving its HQ to Vietnam and they've been doing a lot of aggressive marketing on shows like the Voice of Vietnam two years ago (last season was sponsored by Samsung?) . Their Lumia lines like the 520 is doing really well as a budget phone so hopefully BlackBerry will be able to gain some awareness!

Gotta go back bro

Posted via CB10
    06-15-14 01:39 PM
    Actually the number of bb fanboys in Vietnam is as much as nokia or apple fanboys. But almost all of them using ancient BBs like 87, 9k or 978. The price of those BB10s is sooo high for people from a developing country to afford. BB needs to lower their price policy, as they did with the z10 and q10: both lose more than 50% value over a year. However, now the z3 is out at 215$, which is equal to z10 price, how the consumers will buy a phone with worse specs but equal price? BB needs to think throughly at this, or they will eventually end up with another 50% sale off...

Posted via CB10
    ptpete likes this.
    06-16-14 01:12 AM
    Actually the number of bb fanboys in Vietnam is as much as nokia or apple fanboys. But almost all of them using ancient BBs like 87, 9k or 978. The price of those BB10s is sooo high for people from a developing country to afford. BB needs to lower their price policy, as they did with the z10 and q10: both lose more than 50% value over a year. However, now the z3 is out at 215$, which is equal to z10 price, how the consumers will buy a phone with worse specs but equal price? BB needs to think throughly at this, or they will eventually end up with another 50% sale off...

Posted via CB10
    I understand your point but I disagree a bit about lowering the price of the Z3. It's priced competitively. There is no shortage of people willing to shell out 16M for an iPhone 5 or Galaxy S5. Blackberry is not doing itself any favors by discounting a brand new phone 50%. A new Z10 is not 5m either. It's 7M. And it's also a year and a half year old phone. I can also still get a Lumia 920, which is still a hell of a phone for 4.5 as well if I wanted an older phone. Discounting is not the way to go. People can and do afford a 200usd phone if it's good.
    vutranloc likes this.
    06-16-14 02:08 AM
    The economy must be booming fast over there =).

I heard Nokia is moving its HQ to Vietnam and they've been doing a lot of aggressive marketing on shows like the Voice of Vietnam two years ago (last season was sponsored by Samsung?) . Their Lumia lines like the 520 is doing really well as a budget phone so hopefully BlackBerry will be able to gain some awareness!

Posted via CB10
    I don't think Nokia is moving their HQ here, but they do have have a pretty new manufacturing plant here now. They're hiring too if your a engineer.. Lol
    06-16-14 02:20 AM
    Too bad I'm not an engineer haha I'm in the pharmaceutical industry ;p

I heard they're building the manufacturing plant in Hanoi right? That's a great move for Nokia because labor is so cheap in Vietnam and they'll get great incentives while creating more jobs.

I don't think Nokia is moving their HQ here, but they do have have a pretty new manufacturing plant here now. They're hiring too if your a engineer.. Lol

Posted via CB10
    06-16-14 08:39 AM
    Too bad I'm not an engineer haha I'm in the pharmaceutical industry ;p

I heard they're building the manufacturing plant in Hanoi right? That's a great move for Nokia because labor is so cheap in Vietnam and they'll get great incentives while creating more jobs.

Posted via CB10
    Bac Ninh actually..

Nokia’s Vietnam factory opens in Hanoi City | WMPoweruser
    06-16-14 11:44 AM
    I agree, and I also think bb will stop selling z10 in VN when z3 arrive. But still if z3 is priced 3-3.5M it will be a big competitor of zenphone 4, 5, nokia x, xl, lumia 525... BB now can't survive only based on their loyal users. They must expand to other OSes teritories. Lowering price is one obvious way to do it

Posted via CB10
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    06-16-14 12:48 PM
    Close enough! Although I don't know where Bac Ninh is lol ;p
    I totally agree with you. It's better to offer competitive prices to gain more market share than to be stuck with a billion dollars in loss like what they've done with the Z10. This time they have Foxconn to leverage the risks so hopefully it'll be a win-win situation for both companies.

I agree, and I also think bb will stop selling z10 in VN when z3 arrive. But still if z3 is priced 3-3.5M it will be a big competitor of zenphone 4, 5, nokia x, xl, lumia 525... BB now can't survive only based on their loyal users. They must expand to other OSes teritories. Lowering price is one obvious way to do it

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    vutranloc and jefbeard911 like this.
    06-16-14 05:34 PM
    They are trying to get BB10 into more peoples hands one country at a time.
    This way they can stay in the media and keep the "hype" (if you can call it a hype) going.
    I think it's a good strategy for the Asian and African market.
    Maybe Southern Europe as well. A lot of countries like Italy, Portugal, Spain and Greece are heavily struck by the economic crisis. I see a lot of potential new customers there too who want an affordable smartphone.
    06-16-14 06:41 PM
    I'm not from Vietnam, but I'm excited for news about the Z3's Vietnamese launch just as I was looking forward to news about the Indonesian launch. I'm glad that BlackBerry is gradually rolling out the Z3 to other countries. Hoping for the success of this phone in Vietnam!

Posted via CB10
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    06-17-14 12:02 AM
35 12