Which is the best app to hide pictures and videos? And while we're at it can't the app developer access the files we have hidden? That can be risky too right?

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 08:14 AM
    BlackBerry had their BES Cloud Service Beta free - you could use the work containers as you Personal Archive......
    06-12-14 09:09 AM
    Which is the best app to hide pictures and videos? And while we're at it can't the app developer access the files we have hidden? That can be risky too right?

Posted via CB10
    There are a bunch in appworld.

Basically it moves files to the apps private data storage. They operate in a bubble so only that app + system can access them. But delete the app and the files go with it.

Posted via CB from my LE
    06-12-14 09:13 AM
    You could put the photos in a folder and zip them. When zipped, the files aren't visible in any other apps.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 09:19 AM
    What do you mean when you say they operate in a bubble? Are the safe to use?

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 09:24 AM
    You could put the photos in a folder and zip them. When zipped, the files aren't visible in any other apps.

Posted via CB10
    I did that yet they were still showing in the pics app.
    06-12-14 09:40 AM
    When you enter BlackBerry pictures or videos, your BlackBerry will scan all folder locations and memory cards for media files (.jpg,.mp4, etc) and show you thumbnails. If you have *inappropriate* content and you don't want your friends to see it while you are showing them family photos or videos, then you need to RENAME the file extension of your inappropriate content to something else. For some reason, BlackBerry native File Manager does not allow extension renaming. Therefore you need the Android app Ghost Commander. Here's how:

HOW TO HIDE SPECIFIC MEDIA:

1. Install Ghost Commander (android file manager)
    - You need this to be able to rename EXTENSIONS (.mpg, .mp3, .mp4, etc.)

2. Put your inappropriate photos/videos into a folder, any folder, call it whatever you want.
    3. Open Ghost Commander and go to that folder
    - Hold finger on file and popup menu comes up, choose RENAME and change the file extension
    - For example, if it is called "hideme.mp4" rename to "hideme.mp4x".
    - For example, if it is called "hideme.jpg" rename to "hideme.jpgx".

4. When you want to view them, just go back to Ghost Commander, rename the files by deleting the "x" at the end, and just LAUNCH directly from Ghost Commander.
    - If you click the file in Ghost Commander, it will let you open them up and view
    - When you are done viewing, rename the file again so it is hidden from BlackBerry

That's all it takes! The files with the extension .mp4x and .jpgx are not recognized as videos/photos by BlackBerry and when you browse your pictures and video albums, no thumbnails of these files will show up. So you can safely store these on your phone anywhere you like without thumbnails being automatically generated and giving away your secrets!
    06-12-14 09:48 AM
    I did that yet they were still showing in the pics app.
    When you zip the file, it doesn't delete the old one. Delete the one that isn't zipped after zipping.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 11:25 AM
    Ghost Commander can easily hide files and folders.

1. Download Ghost Commader from BlackBerry World
    2. Open Ghost Commander, tap either BlackBerry Media for Device Storage or Local Storage then /external_sd to access your microSD.
    3. Find your folder and or files
    4. To hide all the files within a folder but not the folder itself, tap the 3 dots in the upper right, select New, then Create a new file, and name your file .nomedia - make sure there's a "." in front or this will not work. This will hide files from the Photos, Videos, and Music apps but will appear normally in File Manager.
    5. To hide a folder completely, long press on the folder and select Rename, then add a period to the front of the file name, then tap OK. *This only works on folders you've created.

Hope this works for your needs; it will keep your media hidden from people looking through your device while still allowing full view from Windows and BlackBerry Link without doing any extra steps.
    06-12-14 12:00 PM
    When you zip the file, it doesn't delete the old one. Delete the one that isn't zipped after zipping.

Posted via CB10
    I did. Maybe the cache didn't catchup?
    06-12-14 12:44 PM
    BlackBerry had their BES Cloud Service Beta free - you could use the work containers as you Personal Archive......
    How and from where can I download it?

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 12:54 PM
    I did. Maybe the cache didn't catchup?
    Weird, I do it all the time and it works... ive been doing it since 10.0...

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 01:10 PM
    Hide My Files Pro is a really good app, I use all the time and it doesn't lack any major features that you'd require.

App to hide files-img_20140613_105318.png

Posted via CB10
    06-13-14 04:53 AM
    File vault is what I use. It even hides it from windows. It was free when I got it ages ago. Dunno about now though.
    06-13-14 04:59 AM