Mr. Chen -

BlackBerry has a track record of mis-pricing/ overpricing devices. With you at the top, I hope this will trend will be corrected this time. For what it's worth, here is collective opinion of my circle of friends (~ 30 people) for off-contract/subsidized prices:

• High End QWERTY device - $500
    • High End QEWRTY with trackpad - $525
    • High End Touch (Z30 successor) - $475

But this must also be accompanied with a trade-in offer.

Trade in your old BlackBerry (or even an iPhone or Galaxy) and get $200 off.
    Trade-in prices:
    • High End QWERTY device - $500 - $200 = $300
    • High End QEWRTY with trackpad - $525 - $200 = $325
    • High End Touch (Z30 successor) - $475 - $200 = $275

Trade-in promo offers you multiple advantages:
    1. You can (officially) continue to price your devices high and yet make them available at a lower price
    2. If you get even 20M users to trade-in, you'll see massive surge in app-developer interest towards BlackBerry 10 platform
    3. With trade-in prices ($275 $300, $325): I am confident you won't lose money. It's important to expand your installed user-base without losing money. If you are losing money at above suggested prices, you can tweak prices just enough that they remain very affordable and yet you don't lose money.
    4. Build loyalty / reward your loyal customers who have stuck with a BlackBerry so far!

You can gradually reduce or remove trade-in discounts but for now, expanding your installed user-base is very very important and trade-in can work wonders for you. If you can get 10s of millions of users to upgrade/trade-in to BlackBerry 10, you'll see massive surge in apps for BlackBerry. I can't even overstate the positive impact of what having large number of apps will do for BlackBerry!

Cheers
    Last edited by chrysaurora; 06-11-14 at 11:18 PM.
    06-11-14 09:48 AM
    Soon to be moved to armchair
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-11-14 09:51 AM
    I'd love to see outright prices lower than that, but they'll likely be higher. Classic is aimed at Enterprise, and if they're willing to pay $430 for a Bold 9900, you're probably looking at $5-600 for a BB10 equivalent.
    06-11-14 10:26 AM
    You can't ask for those prices if you haven't actually seen the devices!

And the Q30 will probably be more expensive than the Q20 since the 30 is labeled as high end and 20 as mid-tier.

Posted via My Beast Q10
    06-11-14 10:29 AM
    Yes, a $700 phone would be a tough sale, especially for TMobile folks like me who will have to pay cash.
    06-11-14 10:53 AM
    Surprised by lack of enthusiasm for this thread. If BlackBerry overprices their devices (yet again), I imagine a lot of people here would be upset! If you are among those people, chime in here folks.

If BlackBerry team is watching, let them know how you feel about pricing and trade-in offers.
    06-11-14 11:18 PM
    Q5 100-1. Should be 100-150 now. But can I get one in the states. Nope.

Q20 better be 300 dollars.

BlackBerry needs to give the phones away.

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.3175 / T-Mobile USA
    Dmessenger likes this.
    06-11-14 11:23 PM
    Ok I want a 'cheap' Classic or Q30, too.
    But hey- iPhones or high end samsung phones cost a lot of money.

Posted via Q10Bold
    06-11-14 11:38 PM

Posted via Q10Bold
    I am not suggesting 'cheap'. Price it reasonably well ($500 is not cheap). But offer trade-up discounts to legacy BB owners.
    -> Let them get it for $300 in exchange for trading-in their legacy BB. Reward them!
    -> Move millions of devices by upgrade existing legacy BB users to high-end BB 10 devices (let them see how amazing BB 10 is, on a high-end hardware).
    -> Attract app-developers by showing ..how quickly BlackBerry 10 is growing!
    06-11-14 11:47 PM
    It would be awesome if the prices are like these. But it's just not gonna happen.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 12:52 AM
    There is no demand for BlackBerry devices, therefore the price must drop to the point that drives sales. If businesses are going to have to decide between a $600 to $700 iPhone that employees have been begging for, and a $600 to $700 BlackBerry that employees have grown to dislike because their perception is based on BBOS, well the market has already shown what they will do except for heavily regulated markets, and those seem to be slipping away too. Sorry but even for business customers BlackBerry needs to provide value now until they can prove BB10 is a needed piece in the Enterprise.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    Doggerz likes this.
    06-12-14 06:36 AM

Posted via Q10Bold
    There is also a lot more demand for those devices. The average consumer will pay more for them. If you are BB you need to give a price that will make people take a closer look.
    06-12-14 08:44 AM
    Z10 user base grown after the price cooled down. This is an indicator that people would give a try for a BB10 with a reasonable price.

But cheap price without a marketing plan that would give you headache will actually do nothing much
    06-12-14 09:07 AM
    I can guarantee the Q30 will come with a ridiculous price tag. It is BlackBerry's way. Especially considering the rumored specs on the thing.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 09:33 AM
    IMO...

For new phones out this year for blackberry, the maximum should be $400 (or �350).... minimum $250 (or �200)

I'm not saying this because I would love it to be cheap so that I can buy, but simply because it is a very smart way to win some trust back. They should know by now that their competitors would always probably price high and as such, they shouldn't attempt to do the same.

They should price relatively lower than their peers and do some good marketing. Like it or not, with the economic climate, people will shift a bit towards BlackBerry. Which is really what we want, is it not? For some shift to start happening towards the company.

Reviews will help us, citing the low price (amongst the competition) as a bonus to the already amazing OS that just gets better with updates.

Just my 2 pennies...
    nairdaotnatus likes this.
    06-12-14 09:43 AM
    Too many people see that you can buy a phone on a two year plan for zero down. A low price strategy will only work if the carriers are more upfront about the true cost of paying for your new phone.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 09:43 AM
    There is also a lot more demand for those devices. The average consumer will pay more for them. If you are BB you need to give a price that will make people take a closer look.
    Sure- herefor is the Z3, Z10 and Q5...others are flagships.

Posted via Q10Bold
    06-12-14 10:23 AM
    Sure- herefor is the Z3, Z10 and Q5...others are flagships.

Posted via Q10Bold
    • First goal should be to increase adoption (this will get you apps too) without losing money
    • Second goal would be to make more money

Sure, they have Z3, Q5 cheaper priced. But even those do not come with trade-in offers. It'd be awesome if they gave $200 discount for exchanging legacy BlackBerry for a new BlackBerry.

But sure, if you want to exclude high-end devices, so be it. Give trade-in discount for Z3, Q5, Z10. Let an BlackBerry CURVE user buy Z3 or Q5 for $75 or less. You see the problem here? If they did this, they'd lose money.

Trade-up program works for high-end devices because even after trade-in discount, the final price ($300ish) is enough to recoup cost of producing the device. They won't lose money this way.

And customer would be super excited to be getting a high-end phone for mere $300.

Trade-in discounts can be gradually reduced or phased out altogether. But first goal should be to increase adoption and that's how you gain adoption.

Once you've adoption, you'd start the process of generating a lot of interest, word of mouth among end-customers AND AND app-developers.

Now, you can release high-end devices with reduced or no trade-in offers and start making LOT of money!!
    06-12-14 10:59 AM
    not going to happen. It it just the same old RIM
    06-12-14 11:20 AM
    not going to happen. It it just the same old RIM
    But do you support this idea or not?

and have you stopped posting in your channel - haven't seen updates in a while.
    06-12-14 11:31 AM