OK...I think I understand it...please check me if I have any other options...Topic is watching movies on Playbook.

Movies downloaded from Amazon Prime (which I like to use) cannot be transferred via Wifi or data cable over to the Playbook insuch a way they will play. The file moves, but the DRM protection blocks the "copying" of something I've purchased to use on any other device. Suspect it would play great on a Kindle though, right?

Movies I purchased on DVD cannot be ripped in such a way that I can move those over to the Playbook in Mp4 format again for the same DRM protection.

Movies that I can play on my Playbook are only from the apps found in PB App World (which are pretty limited). I am not allowed to move any other movies I've purchased to it.

The DRM stripper software I find on the web is highly suspect and I'm afraid to place any of it on my laptop. Not to mention that I guess its illegal too?

So...movies on Playbook is one of the big flaws in this device. My reading around the CB Forum had suggested there were ways to make it happen. Especially a few of you that had movies from Amazon Prime. I guess times have changed.

Unless I am missing something......
    Chrysalis1156 likes this.
    06-08-14 06:29 PM
    Well it's not really a PlayBook issue. DRM is to prevent it being transferred to any other device, so you would need to get rid of that.

Morally I don't see an issue if it's for your own use and you paid for it, but there you go.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 06:42 PM
    The best solution currently is to use the PlayBook video store and buy the. 99 videos.

In addition, the Ultraviolet copies of movies will stream on the PlayBook via the UltraViolet web site, but you need internet access to do this.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 08:11 PM
    If I transfer via Dropbox a .79 movie from bb10 app world to my PB, will it play? I know it will probably take an age to do?

Posted via my lovely Z10
    06-09-14 02:54 AM
    One app to use: showbox.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 10:15 AM
    If I transfer via Dropbox a .79 movie from bb10 app world to my PB, will it play? I know it will probably take an age to do?

Posted via my lovely Z10
    It will not Play. The license would not transfer. You need to buy the movie again on the PlayBook video store.

When the big sales started, I realised the PlayBook was the more useful device to have the movie on, so made the purchases through the PlayBook video store.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 07:44 PM

Posted via my lovely Z10
    What? BB10 devices have 79-cent movies in app world? What a deal! Those of us with PlayBooks but without BB10 devices have access to sale movies that cost a king's ransom of 99 cents each!
    06-09-14 08:23 PM
    Handbrake is your friend.
    Banco and nealjane1 like this.
    06-09-14 08:28 PM
    I don't think in the UK I have access to the PlayBook video store! Hey ho

Posted via my lovely Z10
    06-10-14 01:09 AM
    At least I can watch the 79p movies with my hdmi cable and z10.

Posted via my lovely Z10
    06-10-14 01:10 AM
    I have been purchasing the .99 movies. Recently downloaded two from PB Video Store and got errors trying to play them. Says that I don't have the rights to play the protected media. Have tried to contact them for assistance. No one is EVER available.

Does someone have a trick or advice?

Thanks,

Mark
    06-10-14 08:43 AM
    I don't think in the UK I have access to the PlayBook video store! Hey ho

Posted via my lovely Z10
    No we don't. All part of my long standing complaint that the film industry gets the piracy it deserves.

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-10-14 08:47 AM
    If you have DVD's (or ISO) you want to transfer, use handbrake to convert them to mp4. You can use an add-on like "AnyDVD" to strip all DRM from the DVD.

If you want to copy movies from Satellite, Cable, Netflix etc, check out MythTV. (It does much more than just this - it runs your home theatre). You can export the recordings to your playbook in one step (one script file).

My playbook is updated daily with new Colbert Report, news, etc. And movies before long flights. Works great.
    06-10-14 08:56 AM
    Question on Handbrake...downloaded it, seems useable but could not get it to read either my Amazon download or a dvd in my laptop drive as a "source". If cannot read it as source, I could not find anyway to manipulate the file with Handbrake. Any idea what I was missing?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-10-14 11:12 AM
    Why are you paying for movies? Go to torrent sites and get movies for free and copy them to PlayBook. There are 1080p movies that are 1.5 to 2GB and take 20 minutes to download and keep.

Posted via CB10 with my BlackBerry Z10
    06-10-14 11:17 AM
    Why are you paying for movies? Go to torrent sites and get movies for free and copy them to PlayBook. There are 1080p movies that are 1.5 to 2GB and take 20 minutes to download and keep.

You're advocating theft, plus any idea why movies and music are so crappy these days?
    06-10-14 11:23 AM
    I have been purchasing the .99 movies. Recently downloaded two from PB Video Store and got errors trying to play them. Says that I don't have the rights to play the protected media. Have tried to contact them for assistance. No one is EVER available.

Does someone have a trick or advice?

Thanks,

Mark
    Go back into the video store and try to download them again. It will start a download, but it will be short, as it will only download the license file if you still have the movie file on the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 04:33 PM
    You're advocating theft, plus any idea why movies and music are so crappy these days?
    Actors get paid too much, theatres rip you off and DVDs and blu-rays are too much so screw em.

06-10-14 06:01 PM
    You can stream vudu if you use the origami browser.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 07:41 PM
    Actors get paid too much, theatres rip you off and DVDs and blu-rays are too much so screw em.

Remind me never to hire you, marry you, or try to share a dinner tab with you.
    06-11-14 06:14 AM
    OK...update here...got Handbrake to work...there was a missing file that needed to be inserted according to an article I was given from Lifehacker...once I loaded that into the Handbrake, it found, released and reformatted my DVDs perfectly. Moved over to the video folder amd used the native Video player on the PB...so good! Have long flight coming up...am looking forward to my own movies on the plane!

PS...still unsure how to do the same with an Amazon download...the one ideas Aimesoft has some very scary reviews elsewhere...so I'm still researching and processing all the posts I'm finding....Thanks all...love the help here on Crackberry!
    06-11-14 06:58 AM
    Tried to do this,but nothing to download in the download section. If I go like I want to purchase, it recognizes that it was purchased and wants to charge me again.

Any suggestions
    Last edited by does321; 06-11-14 at 02:43 PM.
    06-11-14 02:08 PM
    The BlackBerry PlayBook remains a fantastic video playback device. Coupled with a Seagate WiFi External Hard Drive connected to the BlackBerry PlayBook you can have a huge movie library.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q5
    Carl Estes likes this.
    06-14-14 10:52 PM
    Don't knock the Playbook because of DRM issues. These happen with any device; that's the point of the DRM, so that you cannot share with other people/devices. With non-DRM files, the Playbook is a great video/movie player (enhanced with apps like Kalemsoft).
    06-17-14 07:42 AM
    The BlackBerry PlayBook remains a fantastic video playback device. Coupled with a Seagate WiFi External Hard Drive connected to the BlackBerry PlayBook you can have a huge movie library.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q5
    As the OP is saying... a video libary of WHAT?

Most video today has some form of DRM protection. It is possible to strip DRM protection, or to download torrents, or to rip your own DVD/Blue-ray collection to digital files. But this can be tricking, time consuming and with torrents a good way to get your ISP to send you a letter or throttle you.

The problem is for people that want to play within the rules, there aren't many options with the PlayBook. And that is BlackBerry's fault - at the launch of the PlayBook and then again at the launch of BB10.

Plenty of die hard fans here will say they can do so much with their PlayBooks, but the big things people use a tablet for - READING, BROWSING and WATCHING, the PlayBook fails at miserable.
    06-17-14 07:53 AM
27 12