I'm intrigued about the size and shape of the purported Windermere phone, as it is too different not to have some specific use in mind, whether that be for a specific industry or just a new paradigm of ergonomics. A lot of times when I'm speculating on a new gizmo and don't have access to a display model I'll just mock one up out of a sheet of paper to get an idea of how it will literally fit in my life. I just did this for the Windermere, using the speculated (published?) screen size and I've discovered that my small size 'Markings' brand of notepads are near exact to my end result speculation mock -up.
    "So what?" you say? Well, here's what: These notepads are a perfect fit for hand and pocket, as implied toward the Windermere, and the screen size as layed out has plenty of real estate for documents and web pages. More scrolling for apps and their control pages but on the production side this is a winner IMO. This isn't just another phone, it's more like the Palm Pilot reborn. This once sceptic of an ugly duckling is further convinced it will be a beautiful swan. Now I really want to get one over the Q20 or Z10 Z30.

PS: Throw in a digitizer and stylus for markups and you''ll have industry in the bag!
    Last edited by Beakman; 06-08-14 at 06:15 PM.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    06-08-14 12:24 PM
    Me too can't wait to see the final product! . That capacitive QWERTY keyboard sounds awesome and is Def a first!

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 12:31 PM
    Me too can't wait to see the final product! . That capacitive QWERTY keyboard sounds awesome and is Def a first!

Posted via CB10
    THAT I have fear about. It may work fine in controlled conditions but out in the field with dust and moisture may be its undoing. We shall see. I absolutely loved the Storm2 screen with surepress, as it kept me from making erroneous selections but combined with the new form factor it was too many variables for the public to deal with. This may also be the issue with a capacitive keyboard. Again, we shall see and I fully intend to.
    06-08-14 12:42 PM
    How about fugly

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 04:02 PM
    I agree that it sounds perfectly sized. I was hoping the rumors of a 5 inch display were true, but if the 4.5 inch display equals a big improvement in pocketability and ergonomics, I guess I'll take that, too.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 05:34 PM
    How about fugly

Posted via CB10
    We know this. Why is it fugly though, and what does fugly bring to the table? I've speculated it brings more usability. If your looking to get laid with it, the phone isn't your issue.
    RodolfoAP and clickitykeys like this.
    06-08-14 06:12 PM
    When the Q10 was at this stage, people here were falling over each other to lament how ugly it was, and how cheap-looking with the straight keyboard. I don't see those complaints anymore. I see a lot about how beautiful the Q10 is. Partly it's just a shift in perception, and partly it's because the final released device looked different from the pre-release versions.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    06-08-14 06:25 PM
    Split screen for bbm looks to be one of the uses also better visuals for documents. This is definitely a high end enterprise device and with10.3 this might be a hit. Too hard to say about usability until someone actually gets a chance to use it. Let's all hope for the best this one could be a home run.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    06-08-14 08:00 PM
    When I first heard about it I thought they had mentioned a 5" screen. At the end of the day It doesnt matter...4.5 or 5" im confident this device will be in short supply and everybody and they moma is going to want it. This will be the device that will have the media talking about BlackBerry in a positive way.

Sent from my SPH-L600 using CB Forums mobile app
    06-08-14 08:36 PM
    I think it will be awkward to try and type with this thing. It looks goofy!

Posted with none other than the Zed 10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-08-14 09:44 PM
    BlackBerry come on announce this monster formally...generate huge hype..

Posted from my Black Beast Q10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    06-09-14 01:50 AM
    Goofy? Is that the best you can come up with at least tell everyone why. Its like saying something is wrong without saying why.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    06-09-14 01:51 AM
    I think it'll generate the same kind of publicity the Note did before it was released. Some of the technology wags will be saying nobody will want it; others will be calling it a breakthrough and saying "Who knew BlackBerry still had it in them?" Some will continue the "too little, too late" refrain; others will call it a game-changer--an expression I have come to loathe.

If the Android app situation isn't somehow improved (I don't know how) that'll still suck a lot of the oxygen out of any positive attention the Windermere gets.

neoberry99 and BroncoVAL like this.
    06-09-14 07:35 AM
    For arguments sake, I thought I'd attach a to-scale image of all the BlackBerry 10 screen sizes, in case you haven't seen thus before.

These are to scale according to each other. This should give you a visualization of how big the devices are.
    Windermere Size And Shape Thoughts-244714183-1-.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 277222
    Dmessenger likes this.
    06-09-14 11:00 AM
    I do think it would look better and perhaps even be more useful if the Q30 had a a bottom chin similar to the Z10. It looks odd when there is no "spacer" ( for the want of a better term) at the top and not the bottom.

PS . I am not keen on Silver on the bottom of a device. I like the look of the Porsche or Z10 where the material at the top matches the bottom ... just for looks.
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    06-09-14 02:11 PM
    The capacitive keyboard sounds great, by the form factor is ridiculous.

One of the things I like about my blackberry phones is that they are big enough to talk on and type on, but not so big that they are unwieldy (I also have a Samsung Note II, and that is UNWIELDY.... the Windermere is bigger).

I think this phone has a specific purpose or target industry that has yet to be revealed.

When the iphone came out, Blackberry started its long decline by releasing iphone wannabe's like the Torch, the Storm and the Storm 2. Making BB's bigger and bigger seems to be following a different, but equally destructive path.
    06-09-14 03:20 PM
    When the Q10 was at this stage, people here were falling over each other to lament how ugly it was, and how cheap-looking with the straight keyboard. I don't see those complaints anymore. I see a lot about how beautiful the Q10 is. Partly it's just a shift in perception, and partly it's because the final released device looked different from the pre-release versions.

Yes, the Q10 was and still kind of ugly. Main reason for this is the massive top bezel that makes the phone to look very dated.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    06-09-14 03:46 PM
    The capacitive keyboard sounds great, by the form factor is ridiculous.

One of the things I like about my blackberry phones is that they are big enough to talk on and type on, but not so big that they are unwieldy (I also have a Samsung Note II, and that is UNWIELDY.... the Windermere is bigger).

I think this phone has a specific purpose or target industry that has yet to be revealed.

When the iphone came out, Blackberry started its long decline by releasing iphone wannabe's like the Torch, the Storm and the Storm 2. Making BB's bigger and bigger seems to be following a different, but equally destructive path.
    There is no market for an all touch phone smaller than a Z10 unless it is an iPhone or a cheapo android. Listening to Curve and 9900 owners on size resulted in a phone with a 3 inch screen that very few legacy owners ended up buying.

Personally I think the Moto x meets the sweet spot. The same size as the Z10 but with a 4.7 inch screen.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 03:58 PM
    I get what you are saying, but surfing the web and consuming media -- particularly video and ebooks -- is just a big part of what mobile professionals use their devices for today. I don't think you can do those things effectively on a Q10 or similar small screen form factor.

I mean, back when I used a Bold 9000, doing quick research on your phone was unthinkable. I'm not even sure it was 3G and none of the smartphones could do that sort of thing well. But, these days, people send me video, I watch Udemy and CBTs... basically, mobile media is now both real ans useful and BB10 does it well. I'd buy a Q30 with a 5 inch screen or 4.5 inch screen, but not one with a screen smaller than that... unless, I also carried a Note 3 like you and then I'd probably feel the same way you do.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 04:26 PM
    One (maybe silly) little thought, is that the suggested size could be seen as just about perfectly tailored to fit snugly in most shirt breast pockets: The widest they will fit, whilst also being not so tall that it sticks up too much (aestetics and centre of gravity) -- didn't somebody suggest it's supposed to be fairly light, too? :P
    06-09-14 04:42 PM
    Windermere + OS10.3 + 4.3 android runtime + 4:3 letterboxed android app view + android app notifications and we'll have a winner.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    06-09-14 05:00 PM
    Windermere + OS10.3 + 4.3 android runtime + 4:3 letterboxed android app view + android app notifications and we'll have a winner.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    My problem with the windermere is that it looks uncomfortable.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 05:03 PM
    My problem with the windermere is that it looks uncomfortable.

Posted via CB10
    It's not much different in size from a passport, which isn't really uncomfortable to hold or slip into a pocket.

06-09-14 05:40 PM
    It's not much different in size from a passport, which isn't really uncomfortable to hold or slip into a pocket.

How much wider would it be than the Z30?

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 07:01 PM
    How much wider would it be than the Z30?

Posted via CB10

Windermere Size And Shape Thoughts-60946887-1-.jpg

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 07:47 PM
56 123