This is meant to be informational. It is about me. I don't mind any meaningful conversations it may produce but do not want it to start a war. It is not one is better than the other. Please let's not go there.

For a couple of years now, since Blackberry ran into troubles, I have used an Android device. Now that BB10 has matured I have used a Q10 also. I seem to go back and forth, pulled by one and then the other. I have done some thinking about this and have an idea about why. I am going to bring up two reasons, one for each, that I think are very similar yet different.

First BB10. The Hub. Everyone talks about the hub, how it is makes it easier to have one place for all your communications. While I don't find opening apps difficult, I do agree the hub makes things flow better. Wherever you are, if you get a BBM, tweet, etc. you can get to it easily and respond if necessary. It makes things neat and simple.

Now Android. Google Now. While it is not for messages it is for many more things that are important to me. Weather, sports scores, news, flight information, deliveries, events around town, etc. With one swipe I am there. Google keeps me informed in one place and it is neat and easy. It reminds me of the Hub in so many ways.

Again, this is not to pick one over the other. I find both very useful yet neither platform has both. Your needs and wants may be different and I respect that. Any thoughts? Will Blackberry have something similar to Google Now some day? Will Google develop a Hub-like message center?

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    gebco, jpvj and pantlesspenguin like this.
    06-08-14 11:16 AM
    I think it far more likely that Android will incorporate a version of the Hub long before ( or if) BB 10 is able to make a deal to incorporate Google Now or any other Google services.
    lift, Made in flanders and kbz1960 like this.
    06-08-14 12:19 PM
    I think it far more likely that Android will incorporate a version of the Hub long before ( or if) BB 10 is able to make a deal to incorporate Google Now or any other Google services.
    Not Google services but something from BlackBerry. I know people will say that it has to do with security but I wonder if there is a secure way of doing it.

For instance, Blackberry Travel gets your flight information from your confirmation email the airlines send you.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-08-14 12:49 PM
    I'll be getting my first BB10 by next week. I don't want to fall in the same situation.
    Excited to use Z10, with a Moto G.
    Fall into what situation? You mean being pulled back and forth?

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    seluje likes this.
    06-08-14 12:54 PM
    switching in between Android and BB10, i meant.
    I hope you fair better than me!

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    06-08-14 12:57 PM
    I've been an avid Curve user, and because of that, i'm not a fan of fancy apps - facebook, whatsapp, bbm, and some other basic apps. That's it.
    All i want is clean and simple interface, guess Z10 will give that to me
    If that is what you are after I believe you will be happy. Good luck!

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    eu gene likes this.
    06-08-14 01:20 PM
    Hub is nice but not many native apps to utilize it to its potential.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 02:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    What are you talking about? How many native apps more do you need? Honestly it's got the big ones out. I mean It could have more but then at some point there'll be too many apps

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 02:32 PM
    I am actually thinking of getting an android so I have access to a few Google apps that won't work on my Q10, especially for my LG big screen. Was looking at Moto G or Experia E1. Can anyone recommend one over the other?

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    06-08-14 02:39 PM
    Thanks, I see the specs are better for the G but no additional slot for adding storage but I see a few providers are offering $100 gift cards if I buy one so it's a no brainer, thx

06-08-14 03:38 PM
    Moto G.
    Stock UI. No bloat. 720p screen(329 ppi). Updates(4.4.3 already out). Nice battery. And powerful processor. Developer support, lots of ROMs, including firefox OS(development stage).also - NO LAGS, haven't experienced any, honestly.

LTE and microSD, recently added.

If you want a cheap nexus level android, then go for it

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Or higher end HTC one m8 great proccessor pretty Much stock Except for some HTC settings which dont run in th� background and snappy interface

And 32gigs and expandible memory and great batterylife You can play music all day and Not drop below 90% on extr�me power savings mode and pretty quick updates
    Downside no sp�cial gifts like free movies on your birthday or extra camera features Except Maybe duo camera
    I got a deal on m'y m8 for 599 thats 129 upfront and 470 cancelation f�e on a 2 year contract now You get 100dollars giftcard too
    06-08-14 03:41 PM
    This is meant to be informational. It is about me. I don't mind any meaningful conversations it may produce but do not want it to start a war. It is not one is better than the other. Please let's not go there.

For a couple of years now, since Blackberry ran into troubles, I have used an Android device. Now that BB10 has matured I have used a Q10 also. I seem to go back and forth, pulled by one and then the other. I have done some thinking about this and have an idea about why. I am going to bring up two reasons, one for each, that I think are very similar yet different.

First BB10. The Hub. Everyone talks about the hub, how it is makes it easier to have one place for all your communications. While I don't find opening apps difficult, I do agree the hub makes things flow better. Wherever you are, if you get a BBM, tweet, etc. you can get to it easily and respond if necessary. It makes things neat and simple.

Now Android. Google Now. While it is not for messages it is for many more things that are important to me. Weather, sports scores, news, flight information, deliveries, events around town, etc. With one swipe I am there. Google keeps me informed in one place and it is neat and easy. It reminds me of the Hub in so many ways.

Again, this is not to pick one over the other. I find both very useful yet neither platform has both. Your needs and wants may be different and I respect that. Any thoughts? Will Blackberry have something similar to Google Now some day? Will Google develop a Hub-like message center?

Posted via my Nexus 10.

I have both types of devices. I always find myself reaching for my Z10 first. Just so pleasant to use. Google Now is not so great that I would pick an android for that reason. We also have an iphone and always use that device if we want to take a picture.
    06-08-14 03:53 PM
    I have both types of devices. I always find myself reaching for my Z10 first. Just so pleasant to use. Google Now is not so great that I would pick an android for that reason. We also have an iphone and always use that device if we want to take a picture.
    Yup. IPhone certainly leads in picture taking. What don't you like about Google Now?

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    06-08-14 04:14 PM
    I do the same as the OP. I'm constantly moving between Blackberry, Apple, Android and Windows Phone. Each has their strengths/weaknesses. The Hub on BB10 ROCKS! I absolutely love it! I own 2 BB devices, the Q10 and the Z30.

That said, Apple's announcement about OS8 with 4,000 new API's including widgets and 3rd party keyboards, will bring a lot of people back to Apple's platform. With the new OS release, Apple will close the gap dramatically with Android and the others and be a serious contender again despite its continually sinking market share.

BB needs to find ways to have active widgets, Android apps with ease (not sideloading Snap), third party keyboards (yes BB's is great but those 3rd party keyboards are extremely innovative and focused on constant improvements) and great cameras. If BB can't figure out a way to do these things well and continue the great things they do currently (great Hub, impressive battery life, great security, etc.) the company will not make it in the long run.

Really hope Chen and his team understand this because I really want to see BB survive and thrive!
    06-08-14 04:56 PM
    Yup. IPhone certainly leads in picture taking. What don't you like about Google Now?

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    It is like having a nosy neighbor or the know it all in the next cubicle who listens in on your conversations.

Posted via CB10
    lift and raino like this.
    06-08-14 05:14 PM
    It is like having a nosy neighbor or the know it all in the next cubicle who listens in on your conversations.

Posted via CB10
    Though it is totally customizable. You can chose what, if anything, you want it to update you on.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    pantlesspenguin and Bbnivende like this.
    06-08-14 05:46 PM
    Thanks, I see the specs are better for the G but no additional slot for adding storage but I see a few providers are offering $100 gift cards if I buy one so it's a no brainer, thx

If you want a slightly better battery for around the same price as the moto g than go for the LG L90.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 06:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    I have a question: do you use apps for entertainment, information, social connection, or other uses. Facebook, Twitter, and Foursquare are built into the OS so that apps for them are not even needed. I use my Z10 for the massive communications ability it has such as calls, messaging, and email. I actually have other pursuits outside of my phone to keep me occupied.

What is the fascination with a large number of apps?
    lift likes this.
    06-08-14 07:13 PM
    Ok....I don't think that answered his question.

I think what he said answered just fine.
    06-08-14 08:24 PM
    I do the same as the OP. I'm constantly moving between Blackberry, Apple, Android and Windows Phone. Each has their strengths/weaknesses. The Hub on BB10 ROCKS! I absolutely love it! I own 2 BB devices, the Q10 and the Z30.

That said, Apple's announcement about OS8 with 4,000 new API's including widgets and 3rd party keyboards, will bring a lot of people back to Apple's platform. With the new OS release, Apple will close the gap dramatically with Android and the others and be a serious contender again despite its continually sinking market share.

BB needs to find ways to have active widgets, Android apps with ease (not sideloading Snap), third party keyboards (yes BB's is great but those 3rd party keyboards are extremely innovative and focused on constant improvements) and great cameras. If BB can't figure out a way to do these things well and continue the great things they do currently (great Hub, impressive battery life, great security, etc.) the company will not make it in the long run.

Really hope Chen and his team understand this because I really want to see BB survive and thrive!
    Apple is bringing good stuff, although nothing new if we consider 98% of things already exists in others platforms. They can bring people back, but I don't think it will be because of ios8.

Just something fun: A friend of mine has an iPhone 5. I just realized you can't send files (I've tried to send a music to my Z30) using Bluetooth to others devices. It seems apple only let you use Bluetooth for sync stuff like headphones...wtf..

And yes! BB will survive!

My awesome Z30 just impressed you again!
    Techno-guy likes this.
    06-08-14 08:24 PM
    I switch between the two mainly 'coz my 9790 is locked down (work issued phone). And also I prefer keeping my work and personal stuff separated.

Posted from an ME173X
    06-08-14 08:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    You don't know what Google Now is, do you? It's more like having an always-there personal assistant giving you information you need when and where you need it. It's immensely useful.

LG has developed their own version to be seen on the G3. I know it won't be as robust as Now, but I'm interested to see the capabilities. Since LG is doing it, surely BB could work out their own version as well. Google Now is one of the main reasons why my Z10 isn't feasible as a daily driver for me at the moment.
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-08-14 09:18 PM
    You don't know what Google Now is, do you? It's more like having an always-there personal assistant giving you information you need when and where you need it. It's immensely useful.

LG has developed their own version to be seen on the G3. I know it won't be as robust as Now, but I'm interested to see the capabilities. Since LG is doing it, surely BB could work out their own version as well. Google Now is one of the main reasons why my Z10 isn't feasible as a daily driver for me at the moment.
    My life is just not as complex as yours must be. Regular Google works well enough for me.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 09:33 PM
    My life is just not as complex as yours must be. Regular Google works well enough for me.

Posted via CB10
    Google Now and Google Search are completely different things. You enter info into Google Search, but Google Now pushes information to you. Like when you have a location included in a calendar entry you get a notification telling you when you need to leave to make it on time based on traffic. Speaking of traffic, it also predicts when you'll be leaving for certain places and give you traffic conditions to those locations. It pushes sports scores to your notification tray. It shows you news articles relevant to things you've searched for. It gives you stock info. It reminds you where you parked when you're away from your car. It reminds you when new episodes of shows you are interested in are airing. If it gives you a piece of info you're not interested in, you can either choose not to get it again or just not at that time. Basically, it gives you a snapshot of important info without you having to open several different apps.
    06-08-14 10:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    LOL. I know what u mean.

Sent from my Q10 or Z10.
    lift likes this.
    06-08-14 10:42 PM
61 123