My wife and I are traveling to Washington DC for the July 4th celebration this year. First time there at this time of the year. I expect it to be awesome! However, I need some input on the best settings, etc to use for the fireworks. I have had a few different cameras over the years, including SLRs and have never been able to take great fireworks photos. I no longer have a SLR. The Z10 camera is great, as far as I'm concerned, for most everything I have taken. This will be the only camera I have with me, so any help will be greatly appreciated. My wife has an iphone 5s which she will be using but my Z10 takes way better pictures.

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.2039
    06-08-14 10:32 AM
    at night time with lights, I turn the flash off. . Try Normal mode, if not then try Stabilization. For scene i always leave it on Auto except sometimes at night time I switch it to "Night",

hope that gives you a head start

Good luck, enjoy and have fun.. oh and we demand pictures when you're done. haha

Cheers
    06-08-14 10:35 AM
    Regarding Fireworks pix, use the timeshift mode.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 10:44 AM

Posted via CB10
    That's what I've done. Video also works well.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 11:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. I probably wouldn't have thought of that. I'll try it.

06-08-14 11:27 AM
    at night time with lights, I turn the flash off. . Try Normal mode, if not then try Stabilization. For scene i always leave it on Auto except sometimes at night time I switch it to "Night",

hope that gives you a head start

Good luck, enjoy and have fun.. oh and we demand pictures when you're done. haha

Cheers
    This is usually what I do normally. I have found that I very, very rarely need to use the flash, even in dim light situations. And you can count on pictures. I always post in the Post photos taken with the Z10 thread.

06-08-14 11:33 AM
    Also try to stabilize your self. Night photos are always tricky. Lean on a lamp pole or a park bench. It helps a lot. Do not use HDR in this case because the fireworks are moving quite quickly HDR mode will blur the pictures. On second thought give it a try once. You may get some interesting results.
    06-08-14 12:04 PM
    I'd hope that the show lasts long enough that you can probably experiment a bit as it starts up and see some quick and early results. Also if you know the music, anticipate some bigger moments by the musical cues - crescendos, etc.
    06-08-14 01:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    I have tried time shift mode and I like it, but the issue that I have with it in this situation is you have to edit your time shift immediately, before you can take another picture. I really don't want to take the time to do this and miss another shot. I thought I had read somewhere that someone used burst mode for fireworks.

06-08-14 07:23 PM
    I'd hope that the show lasts long enough that you can probably experiment a bit as it starts up and see some quick and early results. Also if you know the music, anticipate some bigger moments by the musical cues - crescendos, etc.
    According to the National Park Service website, the fireworks will last for 17 minutes. Ought to be enough time to play with a couple of different settings, but I just hate to be fiddling with settings and miss some of the action. This is probably a once in a lifetime experience for us. My luck, it will pour down rain!

06-08-14 07:27 PM
    Burst mode is probably best

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-08-14 07:35 PM
    According to the National Park Service website, the fireworks will last for 17 minutes. Ought to be enough time to play with a couple of different settings, but I just hate to be fiddling with settings and miss some of the action. This is probably a once in a lifetime experience for us. My luck, it will pour down rain!

Well, if it were Seattle, there's no doubt it would rain. Some jet stream voodoo does not settle down here until the 2nd week of July. Before that anything goes. Actually, anything goes after that. Our most favorable weekend is the last in July and there's still a 25% chance of rain!

Good luck with your weather.
    06-08-14 08:41 PM
    Burst mode is probably best

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    +1
    It works, tried it with waterfalls, etc.

"No Q10?" -> "Buy from Chen... "
    06-09-14 01:19 AM
    Thanks for your responses so far. I will probably try all of the shooting modes. What about the scene mode? Should I leave if on Auto or use night or action? Sorry for asking all the questions about things that I probably should be been playing with all along, but I can be a great procrastinator. Just ask my wife!

06-09-14 07:11 AM