Made this post in the Q10 forum as a response to the 'Cool and convenient little feature' item about discovering the BB reboot screen feature where you can press the screen to see the %age progress.

It applies to all BB10 devices and raises a general question which I'd like to hear any comments on, so please forgive me for repeating here:
    "
    I too found this feature from this thread a while ago.

Looking back, I'm wondering this: Are the BlackBerry developers so sharp that they have cut themselves? A really useful feature which is so well hidden that many (me included) never found it. Did the beauty and cleverness of that reboot squircle blind them to the need to make these features visible? Would it have been an option to put the percentage right there on screen? Then all users would have the information without having to be clever/bored/wiping a dirty screen or find it in a forum?

That would be a plus for ease of use maybe?

Wondering whether this gives an insight into BlackBerry Corp. culture which might hinder, not help, takeup of BB10 by yer average punter?
    "
    Cheers

Z10 and proud! Z10: conceived, designed and built under the leadership of Thorsten Heins. Respect!
    06-07-14 06:31 PM
    First, why double post? We really didn't need a second thread on the subject cluttering the forums.

Second, it's a non-issue. The developers could have simply not included a precise % number at all and left only the circle loading bar; and even with just the circle loading bar you can easily take a stab at the loading percentage by just dividing the circle in quadrants of 25% which then gives you a rough approximation.

Consider it icing on the cake.

Posted via CB10
    Denny_Crane likes this.
    06-07-14 06:39 PM
    you the forum cop?
    06-07-14 06:44 PM
    Thanks Zero for your reply. Really gratifying that you came back so promptly.

Have you read the other thread? Where several people commented that this feature was hidden away.

Once having added the %age, I was just asking whether it would be of benefit to the typical user to have this feature hidden, or visible?

Oh, have you checked out the PUPPAH guidelines lately?

Welcome any other comments.

Cheers

Z10 and proud! Z10: conceived, designed and built under the leadership of Thorsten Heins. Respect!
    06-07-14 07:04 PM
    you the forum cop?
    You the forum wise guy?

Once having added the %age, I was just asking whether it would be of benefit to the typical user to have this feature hidden, or visible?
    Again, it's a non-issue. The % is completely redundant since the loading bar displays it graphically. Redundancy in this particular case is completely unneeded and only included as a bit of polish; nothing more.

Oh, have you checked out the PUPPAH guidelines lately?
    I was neither impolite, not understanding, inpatient, unprofessional, not attentive or unhelpful. Just because you don't like my response doesn't mean I someone broke the rules or am not following P.U.P.P.A.H. Guidelines. I suggest you grow a bit thicker skin if you are offended by straight, unbiased, no frills answers that get to the meat of the subject you post about.

Posted via CB10
    Denny_Crane likes this.
    06-07-14 07:45 PM
    Have you read the other thread?

06-07-14 07:47 PM
    Have you read the other thread?

Yes, and it is completely inconsequential.

The % when holding the boot up screen is polish, nothing more. Just like the effect given to the wallpaper if you slowly swipe up to unlock your phone from the lock screen. It's pretty to look at, but not really needed. The boot up loading screen already has a loading bar with a graphical representation of what % the OS has loaded.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 07:52 PM
    If you don't like the % then just don't hold down on the reboot circle in the 1st place?

? BlackBerry Q10 ? Keep The Faith ?
    06-07-14 07:59 PM
    The 'meat' really is: Does it help users by hiding features (this one is just an example) or hinder them in their acceptance of BB10?

And does that in any way help to explain why BB10 has failed to engage the average user?

Cheers

06-07-14 08:15 PM
    Its doesnt matter either way. The consumer isnt going to buy a phone because of many other reasons besides these little tricks. Finding a way to inform consumers about the android player and how to load Amazon Appstore. That will sway customers more than the eye candy.
    06-07-14 09:40 PM
    The 'meat' really is: Does it help users by hiding features (this one is just an example) or hinder them in their acceptance of BB10?

And does that in any way help to explain why BB10 has failed to engage the average user?

!
    To be honest, I think most users would prefer that the thing just booted faster. Percentage progress probably doesn't matter all that much then.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    06-07-14 09:46 PM
    Finding a way to inform consumers about the android player and how to load Amazon Appstore. That will sway customers more than the eye candy.
    Unfortunately, that won't work either. Especially when you have to teach a user how to download an app. Have an iPhone? Go to iTunes. Have an Android device? Go to Google Play. Have a Windows? Go to the App Store. Have a BlackBerry? Go to blahblahblah.com, download Snap onto your computer. Install it using a USB port with a third party BAR file installer. Download your favorite Android app which BlackBerry can't promise if the app is fully functional on your device.

This "marketing the ability to use Android apps" approach is ridiculous IMO.

Posted via CB10
    jem9777 likes this.
    06-07-14 10:11 PM

They aren't hiding anything. It doesn't help nor hinder the acceptance of BB10. The reason that BB10 hasn't gained any real traction in the consumer marketplace is solely because of BlackBerry's image. It's tarnished, tattered, in ruins; and has been that way for years now. The fact that BlackBerry doesn't market BB10 properly is also the reason BB10 isn't being adopted faster.

Its doesnt matter either way. The consumer isnt going to buy a phone because of many other reasons besides these little tricks. Finding a way to inform consumers about the android player and how to load Amazon Appstore. That will sway customers more than the eye candy.

Same as above, these little tricks don't sell phones. Specs, image, popularity, and looks sell phones. The consumer could not care less about the Android player and side loading Android apps, they just want it to work straight of the the box. The average consumer wants a fast, powerful, beautiful phone that just works.

To be honest, I think most users would prefer that the thing just booted faster. Percentage progress probably doesn't matter all that much then.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

I fully agree. If BlackBerry could get a BB10 phone to boot up in 5-10 seconds, people would definitely notice that.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 10:19 PM
    Unfortunately, that won't work either. Especially when you have to teach a user how to download an app. Have an iPhone? Go to iTunes. Have an Android device? Go to Google Play. Have a Windows? Go to the App Store. Have a BlackBerry? Go to blahblahblah.com, download Snap onto your computer. Install it using a USB port with a third party BAR file installer. Download your favorite Android app which BlackBerry can't promise if the app is fully functional on your device.

This "marketing the ability to use Android apps" approach is ridiculous IMO.

Posted via CB10
    You hit the nail square in the head. Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 10:21 PM
    Made this post in the Q10 forum as a response to the 'Cool and convenient little feature' item about discovering the BB reboot screen feature where you can press the screen to see the %age progress.

It applies to all BB10 devices and raises a general question which I'd like to hear any comments on, so please forgive me for repeating here:
    "
    I too found this feature from this thread a while ago.

Looking back, I'm wondering this: Are the BlackBerry developers so sharp that they have cut themselves? A really useful feature which is so well hidden that many (me included) never found it. Did the beauty and cleverness of that reboot squircle blind them to the need to make these features visible? Would it have been an option to put the percentage right there on screen? Then all users would have the information without having to be clever/bored/wiping a dirty screen or find it in a forum?

That would be a plus for ease of use maybe?

Wondering whether this gives an insight into BlackBerry Corp. culture which might hinder, not help, takeup of BB10 by yer average punter?
    "
    Cheers

That feature as you call it has been there since BB10 10.0 with launch phones.
    Denny_Crane likes this.
    06-08-14 12:49 AM
    R U being blunt?
    06-08-14 01:24 AM
    It was posted at launch. I didn't really care then, and don't really care now.

This is a nice little bonus; nothing more. There are a but-t load of other features BlackBerry should be marketing, but this definitely isn't one of them.
    06-08-14 07:08 PM
    I agree with the main point, another example, just like the battery percentage that shows when you swipe up. Why not give users a choice to have it always on, blackberry boasts about ease of use and reducing number of movements to facilitate use but then adds this, which adds to complexity of finding out battery level and increases the battery load (touch screen. And button) vs. Just pressing the power button once on and once off.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 08:59 PM
    I agree with the main point, another example, just like the battery percentage that shows when you swipe up. Why not give users a choice to have it always on, blackberry boasts about ease of use and reducing number of movements to facilitate use but then adds this, which adds to complexity of finding out battery level and increases the battery load (touch screen. And button) vs. Just pressing the power button once on and once off.

Posted via CB10
    Like the loading screen, there is a simple graphical representation of the battery level already present on the home screen. Your example of power on and off is incorrect since the lock screen already shows both the graphical battery and the numerical % underneath.

So basically, it already does what you're saying it doesn't.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 10:45 PM
    The boot percentage readout when you turn on your device is nice and yes maybe it would be great to have that as a customisation option.

I an not too convinced that it is entirely accurate though to be honest. Sometimes it jumps from hanging at 0% then straight to "Enter Your SIM Pin" or sometimes it go straight to 100% and hang.

Indeed not every smartphone even has that gimmick.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 06:35 AM
    That's what the Boot screen needs: a direct link to download Android App stores and for BlackBerry World to have commands to "install Android stores".
    06-09-14 04:19 PM