My friend comes home the other day and what's on her door? You guessed it - it's a business card from a detective in a district 45 minutes away from her house. The card has her name handwritten on it, with the cell phone of the detective.

My friend has no idea why a detective would like to speak to her. Could it be a simple background check of someone she knows? Could it be a case of mistaken identify? Could it be something else???

I suggested to my friend that she contact a criminal law attorney, pay for a quick call or meeting, and just get an idea of what she should be aware of before contacting this detective. My friend however, believes all cops are your friend and if you've done nothing wrong, there's no reason to talk to an attorney.

What are your thoughts? Call the detective or call a lawyer first just to get some advice on how to move forward?
    06-07-14 12:27 PM
    Call the detective's work phone number. Not the cell phone. Or just ignore it.
    middbrew, kbz1960, moody and 1 others like this.
    06-07-14 12:32 PM
    Call the detective's work phone number. Not the cell phone. Or just ignore it.
    I like this advice. Either call the work number or ignore it. There's a lot of scams out there.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-07-14 01:26 PM
    Sounds a little fishy to me....I'd go to my nearest police station and have them verify the business card first and then verify the handwritten phone number.
    06-07-14 01:42 PM
    If it's important, the detective will track down your friend. That said, I would call the actual police station and ask to speak to the detective.

Often police cell phones are their work phones. But just to be safe...

If legit, the detective probably wants some information regarding some case. If she didn't do anything, then she really doesn't have much to worry about.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 01:52 PM
    Whatever you plan to do I wouldn't waste time debating the situation. You could have some pertinent info to close a case, dragging your feet could also be a sign of avoidance to the detective.
    Waiting and debating will only add to both your anxieties.
    Besides we ( readers ) really wanna know now, so be sure to report back.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 02:06 PM
    No one in law enforcement leaves a business card in that fashion. Contact local Police.

@BruvvaPete :Channel: C0012176F. Live well
    06-07-14 02:32 PM
    No one in law enforcement leaves a business card in that fashion. Contact local Police.

@BruvvaPete :Channel: C0012176F. Live well
    Exactly.
    06-07-14 02:46 PM
    Private detectives come in many forms and do not have law enforcement for the public good as prime interest.. Since ithe card was stuck on her door the local police should be notified.
    06-07-14 02:57 PM
    Whatever you plan to do I wouldn't waste time debating the situation. You could have some pertinent info to close a case, dragging your feet could also be a sign of avoidance to the detective ...
    Who cares what this detective thinks? The person is under no obligation to contact him, talk to him, or help him with his job or any case.

PS -- This goes the same whether he is a private detective or "law enforcement."
    06-07-14 03:47 PM
    Who cares what this detective thinks? The person is under no obligation to contact him, talk to him, or help him with his job or any case.

PS -- This goes the same whether he is a private detective or "law enforcement."
    What about the part about possibly having info that could help someone out. You went straight for the problematic unhelpful choice.

As the only person in this thread with actual law enforcement experience, detectives do it ALL the time.

They leave a business card with the departments info with their cell phone because often times their in the field and would miss the call at the station.

OP, yeah your friend has no obligation to contact anyone but in life we must face issues head on, and not sweep them under the rub as if they're going to go away.

What about helping a fellow citizen Jurky, I doubt this would be your response if someone possibly had info that could lead to the finding of you or your loved ones property or attacker.
    With that attitude your life must be in shambles, constantly avoiding life's issues.

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    06-08-14 09:41 AM
    ... but in life we must face issues head on, and not sweep them under the rub as if they're going to go away ... With that attitude your life must be in shambles, constantly avoiding life's issues.
    I never needed the police for anything. They're infringing and disturbing more often than protecting and serving. And definitely I'm not "avoiding life's issues," I simply don't care about the police or their issues. As far as I'm concerned, they're underworked and overpaid.
    06-08-14 10:27 AM
    Go to local police and use their phone to call the detective? If scam then track the number. If not then cool. Walk away like a badass.

Posted via My Awesome Z10 | Follow me on Twitter @angelesrobby
    06-08-14 10:40 AM
    If its very important, the detective will try again to contact your friend. Still could be a scam......
    06-08-14 10:48 AM
    Anything good/otherwise come of this OP?

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 09:59 PM
    Anything good/otherwise come of this OP?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, us with inquiring minds would like an update.
    06-22-14 11:43 AM
    I'm in the US. I can't remember if I have had a detective leave a card (probably have). I occasionally get a card from a sheriff deputy needing to serve me with a subpoena. Usually they are ones I have requested before I will testify.

Posted via CB from "Z" best
    06-22-14 10:42 PM