I am seeing a weird issue on my Z10. During the night my BBM is eating my battery and CPU in background. I don't even use BBM often for chat. I use it couple of times a day for channels only. The worst thing, it is doing it in night when my phone is idle. When I wake up in morning battery comes down to like to 15% from 100% charged battery. I am facing thing issue since last couple of days.

I am attaching the screen shot of my last night battery status. The CPU usage by BBM was like 40% at the same time!!

Any suggestions please!!
    Attached Thumbnails BBM on Z10 eating battery and CPU in background-img_20140607_074454.png  
    06-07-14 06:36 AM
    Probably you're a member of a group where there's lots of activity or someone on your list just loves to update. Could also be an issue with the version of the OS you have. Maybe an update would help?

If you're familiar with playing with the firmware files and creating your own autoloader then just replace the BBM module. I know it can be done but I'm still learning that and can't give details.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 06:46 AM
    I have been member of like 10-12 channels since long and never faced such issue earlier. I am not sure about any sudden changes in activity in any group. But it couldn't be such activity that it drains the full battery in 8 hours specially when the phone is in sleep mode and display is dark.

Thanks
    06-07-14 07:14 AM
    Having same issue on Z30. Battery usually last all day.
    BBM on Z10 eating battery and CPU in background-img_20140607_082616.png

Posted via z30 on 2941
    06-07-14 08:28 AM
    What version of the phone and what OS are you running?

Have you tried to restart or reboot? Sometimes one of the processes might get stuck in a loop or just get "lost!"

Try a restart:

Press and HOLD both Vol Up/Down buttons. Keep holding while the screen goes fully black (ignore the screenshot), keep holding through the Black/White logo and when the Colored Logo shows up, release those buttons.

If you have the STL100-1 variant the volume button reset method doesn't work. In that case, Press and HOLD the Power On Button until you see the LOGO as above
    06-07-14 08:38 AM
    No need to do anything drastic. Simple reboot sorted it out for me for good.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    06-07-14 08:39 AM
    Using STL100-3 here. No issues really. Try the reboot as suggested and let us know. Or a battery pull.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 09:06 AM
    Looks like rebooting the device fixed the issue. In worst scenario one can try battery pull.

Thanks Guys!!
    th.1977 likes this.
    06-09-14 11:56 PM
    We're here to help. Glad you got it sorted!

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 01:32 AM
    BBM is easting battery again and again.It get restored after a power restart but after 2-3 days it again starts happeniing on phone.It is STL100-1
    During that time phone gets hot like anything,even the screen.

If somebody can share anything would be very appreciated.
    Heating of phone and battery drainage is a big issue i am facing and because of that i am restarting my phone almost everyday.
    07-30-14 02:21 AM
    I would like to mention one more thing that i am not even using BBM.There is 0 conatct list in my BBM and no groups joined.
    So 0 usage as such and even i dont open BBM on my phone.Still it starts making phone heatup and starts eating battery.
    07-30-14 02:28 AM
    Still same issue I am facing. I too don't use it and yet sucks battery and CPU in background. Though after I downloaded beta version from Beta Zone, the problem is reduced to some points. Try installing bbm app from beta zone.
    egauviv likes this.
    07-30-14 02:44 AM
    Has it helped you to resolve heating issue aswell?
    07-30-14 04:17 AM
    never faced the heating issue. So can't comment on that.
    07-30-14 04:22 AM
    While I have only two bbm groups and no individual contacts, last week, I found bbm also eating my battery with a drop of more than 50% in an hour. I have no idea why or what caused it. I rebooted and it fixed it and it has not recurred. I can only speculate that since bbm is almost instant phone-to-phone, that it might always be checking for communication and somehow might enter into some loop where it gets stuck. This might even occur if you have no contacts established. But again, only my speculation.
    07-30-14 08:44 AM
    Got the same problem. Started 2 days ago.
    My phone is burning hot, and battery is just melting away.

For the last 48h, BBM = 67% of battery consumption!

And I can't even remove BBM can't I?
    07-31-14 12:34 PM
    Got the same problem. Started 2 days ago.
    My phone is burning hot, and battery is just melting away.

For the last 48h, BBM = 67% of battery consumption!

And I can't even remove BBM can't I?
    Do you use bbm? If so, you could sever connections and reboot and reestablish things.

Have you tried to reboot in any event?

Try a restart:

Press and HOLD both Vol Up/Down buttons. Keep holding while the screen goes fully black (ignore the screenshot), keep holding through the Black/White logo and when the Colored Logo shows up, release those buttons.

If you have the STL100-1 variant the volume button reset method doesn't work. In that case, Press and HOLD the Power On Button until you see the LOGO as above
    07-31-14 03:51 PM
    I think it does this when you open BBM message from hub...

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 05:43 PM
    Do you use bbm? If so, you could sever connections and reboot and reestablish things.

Have you tried to reboot in any event?

Try a restart:

That works for a while...then it comes again.
    Battery disappears in less than a hour.

Is there a way to get through Blackberry and report the issue?
    08-05-14 03:19 PM
    That works for a while...then it comes again.
    Battery disappears in less than a hour.

Is there a way to get through Blackberry and report the issue?
    How old is the phone? Do you have a warranty?

If you use BBM, remove all contacts, reboot and see what happens.
    You might want to reload the OS?
    08-05-14 05:51 PM
    I've gotten the phone a few weeks after it came out.

It's a work phone. So I could in theory just exchange it.
    But this is exactly what my IT departement is hoping for.

When somebody comes with a "broken" blackberry they hand them an iPhone and trash Blackberry.
    In the workplace, we dont care too much about apps, but reliability and consistency are more important, so I managed to convince part of my team to stay with Blackberry to the annoyance of the IT department....but this kind of issues is kinda putting a nail into the coffin unfortunately.

How old is the phone? Do you have a warranty?

If you use BBM, remove all contacts, reboot and see what happens.
    You might want to reload the OS?
    N1COL3 likes this.
    08-07-14 09:59 AM
    Unfortunately I have to report the same issue. I have BB Z30 and BBM sometimes starts to eat about 60% of processor power and 50% of battery. And the phone suddenly gets warm. Without any reason I know because I don't use BBM at all. I have no contact or group registered, nothing, it's simply empty.
    But let's say twice a month I realize my phone gets hot and battery is going down rapidly, it's empty within half of the day.
    Reboot helps, yes, it solves the problem and phone works normally after that. But in 2 weeks, it happens again.
    Well, I'm not happy with it.
    08-18-14 02:34 PM
    Unfortunately I have to report the same issue. I have BB Z30 and BBM sometimes starts to eat about 60% of processor power and 50% of battery. And the phone suddenly gets warm. Without any reason I know because I don't use BBM at all. I have no contact or group registered, nothing, it's simply empty.
    But let's say twice a month I realize my phone gets hot and battery is going down rapidly, it's empty within half of the day.
    Reboot helps, yes, it solves the problem and phone works normally after that. But in 2 weeks, it happens again.
    Well, I'm not happy with it.
    Never had that problem, but if you have games it's possible they are syncing with your BBM revise the settings on each game. Btw I use both Z's.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 11:35 PM
    Had the same thing happen to me. Twice in 2 weeks, BBM (which I never use), started using over 50% of the battery power. I pulled my phone out of my holster to check something and noticed that it felt very warm. When the screen turned on it was down to about 25% battery left the 2nd time, the 1st time it was down to the mid-teens in battery power. The phone had about 70% battery power about an hour and a half earlier when I last looked at the phone. When I checked to see what ate up all my power, BBM was the culprit. I shut down my phone so it wouldn't drain completely, until I could get to my car to recharge it. Now I always check to make sure that BBM isn't stealing all my battery power.
    08-21-14 10:25 PM
    OK. So I had this issue yesterday, googled it and found this post. I also have 0 contacts on BBM and do not use it ever. However, when I went into BBM (not from Hub), i had a screen that I had to accept before I could get into the main BBM screen. It seems the newly added 'Shop' wanted to force me to accept an agreement related to BBM 'Stickers'. I could not bypass this and subsequently accepted. Still eating CPU. So, i checked within BBM for updates. Zero listed. I then, instead, opened BlackBerry World and searched BBM. Lo & behold, there was an 'Update' button. I downloaded, installed, then did a hard reboot.It has been 24 hours, and my BBM is still 'Idle' under CPU usage instead of the outrageous 47% it was staying around. My charge time went from 3.5 hours to 33 minutes to get back to 100%.
    Quite a fustercluck of headaches, and likely BBM tripping over itself in regards to an applicable update. I am really trying to continue to support you BB!! Stop making it so damn hard!!! LOL deliriously.....
    FF22 likes this.
    09-06-14 08:22 AM
28 12