It almost seems like trying to get developers onto the BB10 bandwagon is a lost cause and BlackBerry does not seem to make any move that would raise any developer interest in this platform.

Apps are needed to sell phones and with the app gap increasing every day, BlackBerry could probably put an end to it by bringing in a preloaded licensed Android app store (or making it available for download from the BlackBerry world).

The typical fanboy would always try to fend off criticism saying you can sideload and it is too easy. But, it is still an effort that other platforms don't need and it involves cables and the development mode that may scare off the average user. I used to sideload like crazy but have not side loaded anything after snap arrived. The other people known to me using bb10 have only their first page filled with apps without any folders because they are unaware of these things. It is just not a good out of the box experience.

If developers do not want to take the effort of repackaging their Android apks, BlackBerry can bring a licensed app store to bring apks legally and in a more user friendly way (or develop their own Android store). When BlackBerry has the potential, it might as well utilize it rather than trying to make money on app store and lose out on device sales.

Posted via CB10
    Deathcoffin and RH1Pearl like this.
    06-06-14 11:11 PM
    I totally agree with you.

Posted via CB10
    nick13b likes this.
    06-07-14 12:00 AM
    OK, but does anyone think Google will play nice with this idea? What's in it for them?
    06-07-14 01:05 AM
    1. Building their own store is very much legal. But if developers don't take 1 day to port their apps in BBW, they won't put it in their android store. And having two stores preloaded on a platform is damn confusing
    2. preloading snap (or another app that gets apps from google play) will only get BB sued
    3. entering in an agreement with Google is gonna be really hard, but maybe with Amazon.
    JeepBB and app_Developer like this.
    06-07-14 06:01 AM
    1. Building their own store is very much legal. But if developers don't take 1 day to port their apps in BBW, they won't put it in their android store. And having two stores preloaded on a platform is damn confusing
    2. preloading snap (or another app that gets apps from google play) will only get BB sued
    3. entering in an agreement with Google is gonna be really hard, but maybe with Amazon.
    I have long been a proponent of cooperation with Amazon. The question is will Amazon want this?

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3175
    cgallaer likes this.
    06-07-14 06:06 AM
    Need snap pre loaded on bb10 upcoming device

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 06:09 AM
    I have long been a proponent of cooperation with Amazon. The question is will Amazon want this?

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3175
    No idea. but it's BB's best option.
    06-07-14 06:10 AM
    That will NEVER be allowed by Google. It's allowed now because it's something that users gave to sideload (it's not even in BBW).

Google can just block access of Snap to Google play (Snap is in violation of Google Play's ToS) or even worse: sue BB.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-07-14 06:11 AM
    They should have an android app section in BlackBerry world

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3175 pin:2AE6118E
    06-07-14 08:46 AM
    lots of android phones come preloaded with both google play and 1Market. blackberry can talk with 1market developers and get it preloaded on bb phones. on my android tablet apps get updated on 1market before google play.
    06-07-14 08:54 AM
    I agree with the OP, but would actually go to Amazon with that proposal.

It should be far easier getting Amazon to play nice, than Google.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 09:10 AM
    OK, but does anyone think Google will play nice with this idea? What's in it for them?
    Google will not, because BB10 devices don't fit within their conditions to have official Google Play access. Amazon makes the most sense, since they are an established and reputable 3rd party store.
    06-07-14 09:28 AM
    You guys should just go Android. Preloading something that wasn't given the thumbs up per say hi BlackBerry on future devices. That's just not a smart idea.

Go back to Android and enjoy your apps

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 09:33 AM
    You guys should just go Android. Preloading something that wasn't given the thumbs up per say hi BlackBerry on future devices. That's just not a smart idea.

Go back to Android and enjoy your apps

Posted via CB10
    Yes but the best smartphone on the market is the BlackBerry z30. Also some people understand the value of security. Why should the elite be the only ones to use BlackBerry? I understand that the masses should not be allowed to use BlackBerry and thanks to media propaganda techniques many have been brainwashed to hate BlackBerry. Now I'm getting off topic. Love my BlackBerry z30 but want a few android apps. What's wrong with that?

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 09:43 AM
    Amazon seems like a reasonable partnership. For one thing, Amazon makes a lot of money selling content: books, music, video. That's their business model, and even though the BB10 user base may be small, content purchases can still add up. I've bought and read/listened to many Kindle/Audible books from BB7 and BB10 devices, and I'm certainly not alone. A working Amazon mp3 market app would get used by many people. Partnering with Amazon for their app store would bring them into closer contact with Amazon content and services.

Ideally, the way to do it would be to use BB World as a portal. So for music, one tap would bring you into the Amazon mp3 catalogue. Same for video. For apps, there would be a button to take the user into the Amazon app store. The problem, I guess, would be profit sharing. Amazon has little incentive to share whatever cut it makes on app purchases, and BlackBerry is desperately in need of monetization sources, as BIS income dries up. I think that's the sticking point, and I don't see a way around it.
    06-07-14 09:55 AM
    Yes but the best smartphone on the market is the BlackBerry z30. Also some people understand the value of security. Why should the elite be the only ones to use BlackBerry? I understand that the masses should not be allowed to use BlackBerry and thanks to media propaganda techniques many have been brainwashed to hate BlackBerry. Now I'm getting off topic. Love my BlackBerry z30 but want a few android apps. What's wrong with that?

Posted via CB10
    Nothing. But BB can't preinstall snap or amazon without taking on responsibility for the app itself. BB will not do this.
    06-07-14 09:55 AM
    I'm in agreement that BlackBerry should somehow strike a deal, amazon would be a good fit, for apps. I don't know why people keep ******** about apps. I used an iphone, had an android for just over 2 years and had a ton of apps loaded of which I barely used any! Most cases i was using messaging services, text, and browser...all of thich BlackBerry does way better then any other platform.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 09:56 AM
    It almost seems like trying to get developers onto the BB10 bandwagon is a lost cause and BlackBerry does not seem to make any move that would raise any developer interest in this platform.

Apps are needed to sell phones and with the app gap increasing every day, BlackBerry could probably put an end to it by bringing in a preloaded licensed Android app store (or making it available for download from the BlackBerry world).

The typical fanboy would always try to fend off criticism saying you can sideload and it is too easy. But, it is still an effort that other platforms don't need and it involves cables and the development mode that may scare off the average user. I used to sideload like crazy but have not side loaded anything after snap arrived. The other people known to me using bb10 have only their first page filled with apps without any folders because they are unaware of these things. It is just not a good out of the box experience.

If developers do not want to take the effort of repackaging their Android apks, BlackBerry can bring a licensed app store to bring apks legally and in a more user friendly way (or develop their own Android store). When BlackBerry has the potential, it might as well utilize it rather than trying to make money on app store and lose out on device sales.

Posted via CB10
    Totally agree OP.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 10:05 AM
    Amazon seems like a reasonable partnership. For one thing, Amazon makes a lot of money selling content: books, music, video. That's their business model, and even though the BB10 user base may be small, content purchases can still add up. I've bought and read/listened to many Kindle/Audible books from BB7 and BB10 devices, and I'm certainly not alone. A working Amazon mp3 market app would get used by many people. Partnering with Amazon for their app store would bring them into closer contact with Amazon content and services.

Ideally, the way to do it would be to use BB World as a portal. So for music, one tap would bring you into the Amazon mp3 catalogue. Same for video. For apps, there would be a button to take the user into the Amazon app store. The problem, I guess, would be profit sharing. Amazon has little incentive to share whatever cut it makes on app purchases, and BlackBerry is desperately in need of monetization sources, as BIS income dries up. I think that's the sticking point, and I don't see a way around it.
    That was pretty much my
    train of thought, why I said Amazon would be the ideal partner.
    Personally I'd say that they are actually the only enterprise being worth a partnership.

How many people have heard about the app stores most sideloaders use (well, obviously apart from the A Amazon one)?
    Not a lot, and announcing a "big and strategically important partnership" with Snap, just screams obsolescence and desperation even more, than the tainted BlackBerry name already does by itself.

Now announcing a partnership with Amazon, gives off a completely different image. Amazon is a big player in some areas and the image the corporation has, is leaugues above BlackBerry. Or Snap. Or the xyz app store.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 01:35 PM
    Yes but the best smartphone on the market is the BlackBerry z30. Also some people understand the value of security.
    If people are very worried about security, they probably wouldn't want to install many Android apps, since most of those apps need access to your data and sensors to work.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    06-07-14 02:00 PM
    There is nothing wrong with wanting some android apps. It's not necessary to preload android app stores to a BB10 device. You can add the Amazon App Store to your device by downloading it from Amazon.com using your BB10 browser. Then you can download Android apps to your heart's content, no special steps for sideloading required. We don't need to preload apps that should be an option.
    06-07-14 02:13 PM
    But you don't need Snap. Just install from Amazon and other sources.

While this idea may help, not all Android apps work. So there will be a whole new thing to complain about.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 02:30 PM
    There is nothing wrong with wanting some android apps. It's not necessary to preload android app stores to a BB10 device. You can add the Amazon App Store to your device by downloading it from Amazon.com using your BB10 browser. Then you can download Android apps to your heart's content, no special steps for sideloading required. We don't need to preload apps that should be an option.
    What we need is a Store where 100% of the Apps in that store work. Most of us early adopters are content that the situation has improved. The average user is not going to care at all about partial compatibility. Maybe it will be good enough for a few business that need the extra security and a few business related apps...

But good enough is not a slogan that will suddenly change BlackBerry's market share.

Posted via Android CrackBerry App
    06-07-14 02:33 PM
    The only thing BBRY should do is convince the developers to upload their apk's to Blackberry World, give it the usual testing and approving it as apk.
    06-07-14 02:45 PM
    The only thing BBRY should do is convince the developers to upload their apk's to Blackberry World, give it the usual testing and approving it as apk.
    That is the best idea I have heard.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 03:29 PM
64 123