In light of the recent "The Score" app happenings with them pulling their app for an android port (with no notifications), I have been thinking of an app idea and have a question to go along with it.

I would love to have a sports app with notifications for ALL sports available. Not just some sports, but all sports and all notifications. Kind of like the old Score app did with BBOS. I am even willing to pay for an app like this because of the lack of options. Yes, I know there is the Sportsnet app (which I have), but it does not give me notifications for all sports.

Now to my questions. Is this an app that is even possible to develop? Is it that difficult to make a sports app with push notifications? Why is there so few options out there?

Also, I have tried android ports and apks. They don't work and I want a native one.

I have no knowledge of developing apps and feedback, and hopefully making an app can come out of this thread.

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-14 03:49 PM
    *bump*

Anyone?

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 01:01 PM
    I've been thinking on a idea for a app to build. I'll look into this and see what I can do. I'm new to app development but this is the field I study.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-08-14 01:24 PM
    I don't quite understand.
    Doesn't theScore app push notifications into the notification drop down on android? If they do, then shouldn't those be visible in Hub on Notification tab?

If they don't do notifications in android then why they implemented it in BlackBerry 10? The easiest would be to take the android source code and add features you miss. There are some decompiler tools that can help with code extraction from apk.

Edit: just realized that it was regarding push notifications, not hub notifications. Push notification allows to keep an application closed and 'wake up' by a signal from their server.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by vrud; 06-08-14 at 02:58 PM.
    06-08-14 01:32 PM
    Thanks. It is strange to me how there are so few options in regards to this.

Again, I am not an app developer, so maybe there is something I am not understanding that is making this difficult.
    06-09-14 07:27 AM
    I moved this to BB10 Developers Hangout plus I will point a few of my developer friends this way.
    06-09-14 08:09 AM
    I moved this to BB10 Developers Hangout plus I will point a few of my developer friends this way.
    Thanks a lot.
    06-09-14 10:27 AM
    It's not so much a technical problem to solve as it is a data issue. Where do you get a real time data feed from? For example we looked into pulling in PGATOUR leader board data for a client. It cost $50k / year to license the data.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 11:16 PM
    It's not so much a technical problem to solve as it is a data issue. Where do you get a real time data feed from? For example we looked into pulling in PGATOUR leader board data for a client. It cost $50k / year to license the data.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. The hard part is getting the data feed. The UI and coding would not be hard.
    06-12-14 12:15 AM
    Yes. The hard part is getting the data feed. The UI and coding would not be hard.
    Ok. I get it. So unless one of the "big" app companies make it, we are sh*t out of luck.

And I am assuming it is worth them to pay the money for the data since they are going to be receive advertising dollars for their app.

Thanks for the response guys.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 05:19 PM
    Android apps on BB10 really does needs the push notification feature.

Until then I feel that we are not getting a full smartphone experience because every other OS out there has it.

I feel it today more than ever because of the world cup. Im not able to get any notifications on whats happening and I hate to rely on my iphone5.

Native apps which does support push notifications are so very few and far in between. I think there's only 3 in the whole BlackBerry ecosystem and the score app was one of them.

If its expensive to rent a server to push data to apps I dont see how native BlackBerry apps will get push notifications anytime soon because there's just not enough users.

So the only choice for now is to have push notifications for android apps supported by BB10's android runtime.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    06-12-14 06:26 PM
    Android apps on BB10 really does needs the push notification feature.

Until then I feel that we are not getting a full smartphone experience because every other OS out there has it.

I feel it today more than ever because of the world cup. Im not able to get any notifications on whats happening and I hate to rely on my iphone5.

Native apps which does support push notifications are so very few and far in between. I think there's only 3 in the whole BlackBerry ecosystem and the score app was one of them.

If its expensive to rent a server to push data to apps I dont see how native BlackBerry apps will get push notifications anytime soon because there's just not enough users.

So the only choice for now is to have push notifications for android apps supported by BB10's android runtime.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    Agree totally. I am too feeling it now with the World Cup started.

It really does suck. To the point I an tempted at getting an Android phone just for the push notifications.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-14 08:38 AM