I have had my playbook for a couple of years. I went to turn it on today and it didn't seem to come on as usual (when I just press the button). I pressed the button a number of times trying to get it to come on. Eventually it came on to a screen I hadn't seen before asking to connect to wifi. At this point I am at a blue Agreement page where it is asking me for a country on a pop up menu. The popup menu has nothing to select. There is also a "I do not agree" and a "I agree" radio button at the bottom. I cannot do anything on this screen as there are no countries to select from. Also, I'm kind of freaking out because it almost seems like the unit has reset itself of something (I assume this because it seems to be wanting to set itself up). Can someone help me. I have some data on this unit that I don't want to lose. Thank you for any advice.
    06-02-14 08:53 AM
    Sure sounds like it did. Did you have a password on your PlayBook, that maybe someone tried to access it?
    06-02-14 09:00 AM
    It probably wants to install the latest update if it's been off that long. Does your computer still recognize it? If so maybe you can get a backup.
    06-02-14 09:01 AM
    Yes I have a password. And, I last used the playbook just 5 or 6 hours earlier. What is my next step - how does one get past the Agreement page?
    06-02-14 11:53 AM
    Yes I have a password. And, I last used the playbook just 5 or 6 hours earlier. What is my next step - how does one get past the Agreement page?
    Sorry. I thought you said it was not in use for a couple years. As far as I know there isn't a way to get past it and if it did wipe itself or someone did it there will be no files to save anyway.
    06-02-14 11:57 AM
    Don't know if it will do any good or not, but you might try turning it completely off and putting it on the charger. Give it a little while, then try turning it back on. Just try to reset it. You said it took you a number of button pushes to get it to come on, so maybe that did something. Battery may have been low, too. It's worth a shot, anyway. Good luck.
    06-02-14 12:04 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am out of town so wonder if it not being able to auto connect to its normal wifi connection may have contributed to the problem. Is it possible that my pressing and holding the power button (when trying to get it turned on) had something to do with a reset of some kind (eg. Does holding the power button down initiate some kind of reset or reformat? Perhaps will get a different response from it when I get it home (maybe it will recognize the wifi or something?). Anyways, thank you for your ideas.
    06-02-14 12:13 PM
    Oh, I got somewhere with it. I pressed the power button and chose the lock option from the menu. It then asked me for the playbook password which I entered and it recognized. However, the machine only shows one app on it now - the browser - nothing else. The browser icon is the only program showing that you can select.
    06-02-14 12:19 PM