What has changed from the time when Chen estimated BlackBerry's survival rate was 50/50 and now with an 80/20 call? How is he making these estimates?

CEO Raises His Assessment of BlackBerry's Chances - Mobile Phones on CIO Today

BlackBerry CEO John Chen has raised the chances of his company's survival from the 50-50 he gave it a few months ago to 80-20 now. The comments, made at a technology conference in California, also pointed to some refinements in his company's strategy.
    When he assumed the top position in November, Chen said the odds the company would make it were, essentially, a coin flip. But on Wednesday at Re/code's Code Conference in Rancho Palos Verdes, California, he was somewhat more optimistic.

According to The Financial Post, he told the conference that the company has "a lot of problems, but it's not dead." He added that he was "quite positive that we will be able to save the patient."

The Z3 'Jakarta'

He also indicated that, under previous CEO Thorsten Heins, the company spent too much energy and resources on consumer smartphones, when it should have stayed with the enterprise . Chen said the company was going back to its roots, releasing new BlackBerry phones this fall that will feature full physical keyboards, large screens and messaging.

Messaging is key, as one of BlackBerry's few, unqualified successes in terms of popularity is its cross-platform BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) service. Additionally, the company's recently released Z3 "Jakarta" handset, targeted for Indonesia, has reportedly been a success in that country.

That device, unveiled earlier this month, could provide an indication of the company's direction in handsets. It is the first phone BlackBerry has built in conjunction with Asian manufacturer Foxconn and, at a price tag of $200, it competes at the entry level with low-cost Android devices in an emerging market, the kind of market where the major growth in smartphone sales is taking place.

According to news reports, there were lines to buy the phone on its first day of sale on May 16, and on the next day. It reportedly sold out in many outlets in that country on the first day.

'Right Steps'

Ramon Llamas, an analyst with industry research firm IDC, described the current BlackBerry as "still in the transformative stage," with Chen "taking the right steps."

But, he said, the company's future lies in its being "more of a niche player, not a mass-market player," especially for such regulated markets as legal, financial and similar business sectors where security and device/file control are paramount.

Llamas said that Chen's 80 percent assessment is a "comment that gets my attention," because it is the first time the new CEO has indicated he is "seeing some actual likelihood of continuation."

Some BlackBerry-watchers have speculated whether the company, which has broadened its BBM and mobile management suite to include iOS and Android, might be moving toward providing even more Android compatibility or even releasing an Android-based phone.

The question about moving closer to Android, Llamas said, is "what could BlackBerry bring to the table" that currently isn't being offered? There could be additional safety or security factors, he agreed, but added that the company would likely need "some additional differentiator."
    rarsen likes this.
    06-01-14 09:22 AM
    i am sure there is not certain way he is getting the numbers. He just feels that he is better position that he was before when he said 50/50. After this round of disclosure at the quarterly report he might be back down to 50/50 for all we know
    06-01-14 09:35 AM
    Many factors that we don't know about until (maybe) the earning call where they could be released to us.
    One example, that we do know of is the 1M EZ Pass BES 10 licenses. That's pretty big.
    evilcmac likes this.
    06-01-14 09:40 AM
    Maybe the change is just from consumer focus to enterprise. If they don't have to be all things to all people and can make a good profit on the enterprise as a niche I guess that would be the route to take. If that is the case, just like now, consumers can still buy them but the majority won't.
    06-01-14 09:43 AM
    He's probably received many letters of intent from various large agencies leading him to make such a bold statement. In fact, in his mind it may be 100% but sand bagging for the ER so the shorties have a hard time sitting down for a while :P

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 10:02 AM
    Honestly, he's just making it up to go along with the narrative that things are improving. I'm not saying they aren't improving (in terms of Business health, not BB10 sales), but the "probability" is not something he ever actually calculated before or at this point.

It should just be interpreted as, so far we have adjusted things and some of them seem to be responding favorably... therefore we have a slightly higher probability of success than before those adjustments were made. (Based on his judgment that the adjustments are positive ones... which could be wrong).

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 10:09 AM
    My calculation shows the odd is now 78.23/21.77, which closely match his number. So relax, I think he has done his homework.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.2941
    06-01-14 10:21 AM
    Perhaps we'll see an uptick in the numbers next earnings call?
    06-01-14 10:48 AM
    I think the odd is higher than 80/20 because he also said on this ER, he has some good metric to provide everyone.

posted via CB10 using my awesome Z10 keyboard
    06-01-14 10:55 AM
    I could be mistaken, but I also think he stated that the return to profitability is ahead of schedule. That could play a role in his assessment, if true.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 01:30 PM
    Does anybody have a link to where he actually says it? The link in the OP points to an article that reads as a summary, but I'd like to read the actual interview or transcripts. While I'm sure Chen is making positive moves within BBRY, and confidence may very well have increased, such a change in outlook over such a short term like this, is a tad bit surreal.

Sent from my T100TA using Tapatalk
    06-01-14 01:41 PM
    http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...o-rebound.aspx

This article looks positive.

Rockin Z30 on 10.2.1.2947 on AT&T
    06-01-14 02:02 PM
    He's the CEO of BlackBerry and a very smart man. He know a little bit more about BlackBerry than the analysts, the street, so called industrial experts, you and me included.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    06-01-14 02:21 PM
    My calculation shows the odd is now 78.23/21.77, which closely match his number. So relax, I think he has done his homework.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.2941
    I'm soooo not relaxed now...I need to know...NOW!!

We'll see on the ER but he'd better not be speaking out of his behind. If he says it's 80/20 and there's another bloodbath he's gonna lose credibility. There's gotta be something significantly positive for him to change the odds like that.
    06-01-14 03:22 PM
    From the Jimmy B and T Heins random number generator?

Seriously though this article shows the contradictions as the Z3 is clearly a consumer focused device but they say they are focusing on business. The only explanation for this not being a contradiction is if the Z3 deal was done just before Chen came in and announced after he took over. The strategy now is as clear as mud as far as I'm concerned, and I think that is intentional so they can drop something or add something whenever and say that it fits in the "strategy" without looking like they are just grasping.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    JeepBB, techvisor, FF22 and 1 others like this.
    06-01-14 03:29 PM
    That is why he is the CEO and making the big bucks unlike us wannabe CEO's that know nothing LOL
    KemKev and MobileMadness002 like this.
    06-01-14 04:38 PM
    The Z3 is supposed to be designed and built by Foxconn with Foxconn handling the supply chain. I don't see this as taking up to much of Blackberries focuses.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 04:48 PM
    I also want to know how 98% of android apps number has come from. I downloaded line today.. Video calling does not work. Couple of apps that close on splash screen... That may be the 2 %.. But still there is no proof 98% work... I don't see these numbers being real I'm afraid
    06-01-14 06:11 PM
    Kinda reminds me of this great line
    06-01-14 06:55 PM
    I'm going to let you in on a little secret.
    here's how.
    lmao!!

how do I order lotto numbers like this??
    afhstingray likes this.
    06-01-14 06:57 PM
    It could be more like this one:

kevinnugent and VR6 like this.
    06-01-14 07:05 PM
    I also want to know how 98% of android apps number has come from. I downloaded line today.. Video calling does not work. Couple of apps that close on splash screen... That may be the 2 %.. But still there is no proof 98% work... I don't see these numbers being real I'm afraid
    This is so true! BB10 will not run 50% of the "fart" apps that run on Android!
    06-01-14 08:45 PM
    Never tell me the odds!
    VR6 likes this.
    06-01-14 08:53 PM
    The comments was made in response to a question about BB10.3. Forum people running the beta indicate that the Android emulator runs much better than 10.2.1, the current version. The release date of 10.3 is late fall.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 09:13 PM
    It's just his gut feelings. He has been in similar situation before, so I am sure he wasn't just pulling straws from a hat. We all shall soon find out.
    Vorkosigan and AthenaSmith like this.
    06-01-14 09:43 PM
63 123