Since the Storm (Verizon) is CDMA, i thought that CDMA devices cannot work on GSM. But the Storm has a Sim Card slot. (it doesn't make sense). If one gets a Storm, then one gets it unlocked, will it be able or not able to run on AT&T?
    I'm confused, please help me understand. Thank you
    Last edited by peste; 11-12-08 at 02:02 AM.
    11-12-08 01:57 AM
    Well the way I understand it to be is you can't unlock it. it is for VZW only also there will be a GSM version next year. And yes it has the sim card thingy but it's like the world phone. do you know how that one works?
    if you do a search of the post it should bring up some better information for you!

good luck!
    11-12-08 02:03 AM
    Well the way I understand it to be is you can't unlock it. it is for VZW only also there will be a GSM version next year. And yes it has the sim card thingy but it's like the world phone. do you know how that one works?
    if you do a search of the post it should bring up some better information for you!

good luck!
    Someone did post that on the test phone they saw the at&t network come up and a option... So in theory it may be possible to have at&t running on the phone by just inserting a sim. I don't want you to quote me on this but at some point it was also stated that the storm has more radios in it then any other blackberry?
    11-12-08 02:11 AM
    GSM is different here and in Europe. The Verizon CDMA 9530 phone will work on CDMA here and roam on European GSM frequencies. The 9500, quadband GSM version will work here on U.S. GSM and on overseas GSM.
    Now all you have to do is wait for the latter one to be released...
    11-12-08 02:14 AM
    So, in a simpler way (for me) is that; unlocking the Verizon Storm and sticking a ATT sim card in, will not enable the Storm to work on ATT?
    11-12-08 02:17 AM
    Im sorry< i dont understand the "world phone" thing
    11-12-08 02:20 AM
    They work here on GSM or CDMA frequencies and work overseas on GSM mostly. I.E. they are usable around the world.
    11-12-08 02:23 AM
    the Storm is a CDMA/GSM device here in the US the Storm will only work on the CDMA frequency but when overseas the device will work on GSM. here in the US ATT, T-Mobile use 2 of the four GSM frequencies the other two are European frequencies the Storm only have the European frequencies so it work in the US unless you us Verizon Network.
    11-12-08 02:30 AM
    the Storm is a CDMA/GSM device here in the US the Storm will only work on the CDMA frequency but when overseas the device will work on GSM. here in the US ATT, T-Mobile use 2 of the four GSM frequencies the other two are European frequencies the Storm only have the European frequencies so it work in the US unless you us Verizon Network.
    Thank you, i now understand. I really wish there was a way to make the storm work on At&t...
    11-12-08 02:32 AM
    Not correct. This is taken directly from blackberry.com for North America.

Storm: (matches the Verizon's posted specs)
    * UMTS/HSPA networks: 2100 MHz
    * Dual-band 800/1900 Mhz CDMA2000 1X Ev-DO networks
    * North America: 850 MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    * North America: 1900MHz GSM�/GPRS networks

* Europe/Asia Pacific: 1800MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    * Europe/Asia Pacific: 900MHz GSM/GPRS networks

Bold: (matches the AT&T's posted specs)
    * Wi-Fi: 802.11a/b/g
    * UMTS: 2100/1900/850 MHz

* EDGE networks
    * HSDPA networks

As you can see, the Storm as all four GSM frequencies.
    Last edited by skyys; 11-12-08 at 03:57 AM.
    11-12-08 03:48 AM
    Not correct. This is taken directly from blackberry.com for North America.

Storm: (matches the Verizon's posted specs)
    * UMTS/HSPA networks: 2100 MHz
    * Dual-band 800/1900 Mhz CDMA2000 1X Ev-DO networks

Bold: (matches the AT&T's posted specs)
    * Wi-Fi: 802.11a/b/g
    * UMTS: 2100/1900/850 MHz

* EDGE networks
    * HSDPA networks

As you can see, the Storm as all four GSM frequencies.
    so eventually the storm has the sim card slot? i am confused too
    11-12-08 05:01 AM
    There is a possibility of unlocking it, but even if it does work you will still only be able to get Edge speeds in North America. Also you will be able to most likely get an unlocked 9500, but will function on Edge and 3G. The Storm has both CDMA (for North American use), and Quadband GSM, although the GSM is tied to a VW card initally, and is only for overseas use.
    Last edited by bmtbandit; 11-12-08 at 06:25 AM. Reason: I was wrong
    11-12-08 05:13 AM
    There is a possibility of unlocking it, but even if it does work you will still only be able to get Edge speeds in North America. Also you will be able to most likely get an unlocked 9500, but will still be limited to Edge. The Storm has both CDMA (for North American use), and Quadband GSM, although the GSM is tied to a VW card initally, and is only for overseas use.
    Not correct. The 9500 will not be limited to EDGE. The 9530 will be.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-08 05:24 AM
    Here's what I understand, someone can confirm cause I'm not 100% sure

Verizon Storm: works on 3.5G on Verizon; if unlocked, it will only work with EDGE network on AT&T (not 3G)...I have no idea how to unlock a CDMA phone but I do know each CDMA phone is built for a specific carrier and the carriers control their activation

Vodafone Storm: If unlocked can work on 3G network on AT&T?...
    11-12-08 06:21 AM
    The phone will work on att but at edge only speeds....see cx's posts.......
    11-12-08 07:29 AM
    The phone will work on att but at edge only speeds....see cx's posts.......
    EXACTLY. Crucial has answered this numerous times. Don't be lazy and try using the search function before starting a new thread. There's probabaly been at least 10 threads (per each carrier) on "will the Storm work on my network?"

11-12-08 08:41 AM
    Vodafone Storm: If unlocked can work on 3G network on AT&T?...
    Yes. According to CX.

11-12-08 11:52 AM
    I don't understand why so many people on ATT gloat about being the only ones to be able to get the iPhone and how great it is...yet now that something seemingly better/cooler comes along they all get whiny that it's on Verizon and everyone wants to unlock it. I dunno, personally I like the storm but i'd be happy with an iPhone OR a Storm and all the "can i use it on ATT? Will it be coming to ATT? etc." threads are getting annoying
    11-12-08 11:55 AM
    Yes. According to CX.

I had to ammend that statement skyys. See at first the 9500 was going to go to market with triband HSPA. But it's not going to make it to market with triband. So the 9500 will only work on EDGE. There is a possibility that the 9530 can be unlocked and work in the states also.

Edit: I've posted pics of a job aid that showed originally the 9500 had triband HSPA, but they decided against it. Eval units do, but not production units.
    11-12-08 11:58 AM
    I had to ammend that statement skyys. See at first the 9500 was going to go to market with triband HSPA. But it's not going to make it to market with triband. So the 9500 will only work on EDGE. There is a possibility that the 9530 can be unlocked and work in the states also.

Edit: I've posted pics of a job aid that showed originally the 9500 had triband HSPA, but they decided against it. Eval units do, but not production units.
    Aaaah okay. Thnx for the clarification, CX.

Last edited by skyys; 11-12-08 at 12:20 PM.
    11-12-08 12:03 PM
    Ok, thank you for understanding my question. SO the Storm (Verizon) unlocked will work on ATT (edge) but it will work.
    11-12-08 01:10 PM
    OK Simple and straight ques.....VODAPHONE UNLOCKED phone will work with att/tmo/virgin here in US or not?
    If yes & i subscribe the BB services from these carriers will it work as effieciently as in curve/pearl?
    11-12-08 01:24 PM
    i dont know about Vodafone, but if you unlock a verizon storm it will work on att/tmo only on the (edge) network. NOT 3G. but there are too many answers in this post as well as other in order to be sure...
    11-12-08 01:45 PM
    Here is the FINAL answer: The 9500 from Vodafone will work on any GSM carrier in the world. It will only work on 3G networks that utilize the 2100MHz frequency, which is not used in North America. So EDGE is all you get here in the states.

Now for the 9530: It's still up in the air. Technically, if unlocked, yes it should work on AT&T. But it all depends on what Verizon does to the two NA GSM bands. My opinion is that if it's unlocked it will work on AT&T, T-Mobile, or Rogers EDGE network, but it's not 100%. You'll have to wait and see.

The 9500 is definitely your best bet, because it will work 110% guaranteed. But considering that AT&T, T-Mobile, Rogers doesn't carry this device they will not be able to send all the required service books. Do further research to find specifics.
    I'd suggest switching to Verizon or waiting on the NA GSM version to hit next year. But that's MHO.
    11-12-08 02:27 PM
    Here is the FINAL answer: The 9500 from Vodafone will work on any GSM carrier in the world. It will only work on 3G networks that utilize the 2100MHz frequency, which is not used in North America. So EDGE is all you get here in the states.

Now for the 9530: It's still up in the air. Technically, if unlocked, yes it should work on AT&T. But it all depends on what Verizon does to the two NA GSM bands. My opinion is that if it's unlocked it will work on AT&T, T-Mobile, or Rogers EDGE network, but it's not 100%. You'll have to wait and see.

The 9500 is definitely your best bet, because it will work 110% guaranteed. But considering that AT&T, T-Mobile, Rogers doesn't carry this device they will not be able to send all the required service books. Do further research to find specifics.
    I'd suggest switching to Verizon or waiting on the NA GSM version to hit next year. But that's MHO.

Does the lack of service books disable the full use of the web browser or data messaging systems?
    11-12-08 02:36 PM
122 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD