I own a Q10 and having come from a curve 8530(read as indestrucable brick with amazing battery life) I'm afraid it won't hold up so well to falls and drops (I used to play catch the phone with my friends just for kicks, but I'm deffinatley not doing that with my new baby). What has been your expereinces and do you think that the Q5 is an all around tougher phone?
    05-31-14 03:53 AM
    I own a Q10 and having come from a curve 8530(read as indestrucable brick with amazing battery life) I'm afraid it won't hold up so well to falls and drops (I used to play catch the phone with my friends just for kicks, but I'm deffinatley not doing that with my new baby). What has been your expereinces and do you think that the Q5 is an all around tougher phone?
    Get those DynaTAC phones and never worry again! But seriously, the Q10 is a pretty sturdy phone and probably can survive falls from your hand, on the table, etc. Putting it in a case can add some protection.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    05-31-14 04:54 AM
    I have a Q10 and it feels like a very sturdy device. I don't own a Q5, but from what I have read, it's a great phone but some people have said it feels cheaply made and because it's all plastic it doesn't feel sturdy. Again, I'm not saying the Q5 is not a good phone. Lot's of people that own them say they love them. But many have commented on the plastic feeling cheap.
    05-31-14 12:00 PM
    I have dropped my q10 on the concrete floor at work several times with no issues. I'm a mechanic and am fairly rough with it. Lol

Posted via Q10, awaitng a slider.
    05-31-14 01:44 PM
    I have a Q10, it fell out of my pocket and cracked the screen ($200) and I now experience thhe dreaded double type, my wife's Q5, has been tossed about, dropped and been at the mercy of a 13 month old....works flawlessly....so, I would say depending on circumstaances....they can both be resistant. My. Q10 has an Otterbox, while the Q5 has a decorative cover

Posted via CB10
    05-31-14 03:59 PM
    I have a z30 but I use my Q5 about 99% of the time for the reason you mentioned: I need a tough phone.

Q5 is so affordable now and with a hard shell on it, it's the perfect phone for me. It can take all kinds of drops and abuse. Plus with it being so cheap, I'm not worried about it getting scratched or anything.

Except for the camera (which is perfectly fine on the Q5) and the hdmi port (not a big deal if you have a miracast dongle), the q5 internal specs are almost identical to the q10 and to a similar extent the z30/z10. Also the screen on the q5 blows away the z30 in terms of brightness.

Oh and the q5 has a phenomenal battery life.

Can you tell I love the q5? Lol

It's a hell of zippy phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-14 06:38 PM
    Don't know much about the Q5 but the Q10 is one sturdy device. I work with a few engineers that subject it to all kind of abuse and it seems to hang in there. While I'm a touch screen guy, that Q10 is simply beautiful. One of the most elegant devices ever made.

Posted via CB10
    ronfc and lift like this.
    05-31-14 08:03 PM
    My Q10 has been very sturdy. I've dropped it on concrete at least a dozen times. I have a soft gel type case.
    06-02-14 12:14 PM
    Seems that if you are looking for a device that can take physical punishment the Q5 would be the right choice. Its similar in build to the later Curve series, which could have taken quite a beating.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 03:32 PM
    Q5, left mine in the rain, it got ran over by a car, left it in the snow, threw it at a wall several times, stepped on it, spilled syrupp on it, survived the depths of a ladies purse after yogurt exploded, ect.
    Oglon3r likes this.
    06-02-14 03:37 PM
    Q5 with the premium hardshell feels practically indestructible, I love it so much I'd buy another one in any other color than black in a heartbeat if I ever see one in person!

Flicked on my Z30 or crushed on my Q5!
    alan510 likes this.
    06-02-14 03:43 PM
    My Q10 has been very sturdy. I've dropped it on concrete at least a dozen times. I have a soft gel type case.
    You see I like skin to show on my "ladies". I can't stand covering them up other than a screen protector
    Senor Wright likes this.
    06-02-14 06:31 PM
    Q5, left mine in the rain, it got ran over by a car, left it in the snow, threw it at a wall several times, stepped on it, spilled syrupp on it, survived the depths of a ladies purse after yogurt exploded, ect.
    Ran over by a car. Hmm..

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    06-02-14 09:47 PM
    OK so I bought a Q10 yesterday! I'm not using any case for it as its too beautiful, but compared with the Q5 I'd say quality is equal. The buttons are the only drawback for the Q5 but it's easily much nicer to hold in the premium hardshell imo and that takes care of the button issue and adds quite a bit more durability. I'd throw that phone to you across a room in a heartbeat!

Q10, Q5, Z30... Damn I love leaks too much!
    06-04-14 11:15 AM
    I owned a Q10 was solid and heavy and felt like I was going to drop easily. - had double letter issues with the keyboard. I now have a cheap Q5 with a nice cheap capdase soft cover and it's so light and tough and most importantly no double letter issues (touch wood). Very happy with the Q5. Also not worried about dropping such a cheap phone. Wish I had bought this first.

Q5
    06-23-14 09:49 AM
    Hada Q10, had double type issues... gave it to my dad to use with the blackberry leather belt holster, he used it at work for two weeks (machine shop) and the keyboard stopped working all together and the earpiece speaker is very quiet now he has to use speaker phone all the time.

I'd go with the Q5 all day for a tough rugged phone that you just don't care about

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 01:16 PM
    There's a thread somewhere about a q5 dropping about 5 stories and surviving it had an unknown cheap protection case and survived.
    Also that yogurt survival comment absolutely made my day.

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    06-23-14 01:40 PM
    My Q10 fell in the ocean, it's fine. I answered my Q10 while in the shower today and any other day, it's fine. My Q10 fell on the floor from 8ft and it's still fine without a ******* crack. Just make sure u have a screen protector on, it's helps out so much. My screen never cracks.

Posted via Commodore 64
    06-23-14 11:24 PM
    Just to add to this thread. In HK where most carrier did sell Q10, Z10 and Z30...there is only one carrier left selling the Q5. All others stopped selling completely. So I guess Q5 has almost zero bad feedback and no double typing issues either.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 04:50 AM
    I have had my Q10 for a year and a half now. Extremely sturdy and was subject to lots of drops and double drops and some of them on concrete and rocks and treadmills.

And it looks now as if it was just out of the box. (just a minor scratch on the back so small I hardly feel it)