I had previous concepts regarding the active frames and how they should be updated and implemented. Well here is my recent ones that take the 10.3 UI and implements that into the active frames.

Before I post the pictures I have to say that the program I used was trial and the trial version ended and now I can not access half of the ones I created as it saved in a file format only readable by the program. Anyway this isn't everything and I will explain the missing pieces.

1) These first three pictures show what the active frames should look like. Also notice the accent colours (user customizable). I had more colours but can't access them, but basically whatever accent colours BlackBerry would create would show up this way! Also the horizontal frames show more information and useful information as will be see below. For the frames notice the close on the bottom right and the rearrange button on the bottom left.

Redesigned Active Frames!!-blackberry-10-black-frames.jpgRedesigned Active Frames!!-blackberry-10-blue-frames.jpgRedesigned Active Frames!!-blackberry-10-green-frames.jpg

2) One thing that I lost and cannot show is the rearrange and pin function. It works very simply and easy to understand. You simply click and hold the rearrange button on the app you want to move around. What will happen then is that all the active frames will minimize to show the bottom bar only (the bar with the rearrange, close and the app name and logo thats in the 10.3 bubble icon). This will allow for many more frames to show on the one screen and allow for quick rearranging. This also will allow more than 8 active frames running at one time. So once you click and hold rearrange button and they minimize you can then move the app around to whatever location you want it to be in. Once you move it to where you want, there will be a "pin" icon show up where the rearrange icon was previously. This shows up with the assumption that you rearranged it with the intent to keep it in that location. So no matter where you move the frame you can choose to pin it to that location and it will always stay in that spot in the list. If you choose to pin the app, once pinned it will show the rearrange button and a pin icon beside that to indicate that it is pinned to that spot.

3) These pictures show what information can be shown in the active frames. The first one shows that the frame can show 3 smaller thumbnail photos (potentially showing the portrait photos this way), and the second photo shows a full screen frame (again for photos a landscape shot will take the entire screen up). This can be used for many apps and modified for developer choice. Notice BBM and Music, showing more information than in current active frames. BBM shows multiple updates side-by-side. New message will take priority whereas status updates will be pushed the the back. Music shows now playing, album art, time lapse of current song, and upcoming songs.

Redesigned Active Frames!!-blackberry-10-frames-primary.jpgRedesigned Active Frames!!-blackberry-10-frames-secondary.jpg

4) Here is the fun, INTERACTIVE FRAMES! Long press app icon in frame.

Redesigned Active Frames!!-blackberry-10-interaction-features-1.jpg

5) After a long press with finger still on screen, options will pop-up on the screen around your finger. To ensure quick efficient movements, the icons will only be on screen as long as your finger is on the screen still. The second you take your finger off it will assume you no longer want to continue with that action.

Redesigned Active Frames!!-blackberry-10-interaction-features-2.jpg

6) You then simply drag your finger to the action you want to do. In this case "next"

Redesigned Active Frames!!-blackberry-10-interaction-features-3.jpg

7) This shows how your selection highlights to ensure what you are trying to choose. Changes colours and also becomes larger than the other options.

Redesigned Active Frames!!-blackberry-10-interaction-features-4.jpg

8) When you are where you want to be, you simply release your finger and that action will begin.

Redesigned Active Frames!!-blackberry-10-interaction-features-5.jpg

9) As you see the song changes and the upcoming songs updated and changed as well.

Redesigned Active Frames!!-blackberry-10-interaction-features-6.jpg

That is all I was able to get I explained the pinning option, but I wish I could show everyone.

But that is my idea and view on how active frames should look and function. I think the horizontal frame serves more purpose to the user. As many people tend to close active frames when done using them, it is taking away a very strong aspect of BB10 and renders it useless. Why have such powerful multitasking capabilities yet many people don't use them. I close apps instantly as I have no reason to keep them open because I can simply open the app almost as quickly. The interactive features and larger frames will allow for more information and more interaction making users keep active frames open and experience the true power of BB10! Anyways, hope you like my ideas and please comment and let me know what you think and what you like or don't like! Anything we say in forums may end up helping advance our OS that we love!
    05-30-14 08:35 PM
    'Tis niiiccee!
    mphillips828 likes this.
    05-30-14 09:31 PM
    Lol, amazing! The BBM chats though

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 09:37 PM
    You sir, should send this directly to BlackBerry. See this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=933396

It is worth trying it. I love your Interactive Frame implementation. I agree most of the time I just close Active frame because there not use doing this, but your way works more like a widget, with the BB10 touch. It would simply be awesome, great job.

I wonder if there would be a way to make an automatic Interactive Frame from any app, even Android, based on what they used from the framework, like the bottom buttons, or menus..?

Edit: Love Thorsten's golden parachute avatar by the way. ;P

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    Last edited by BadGoliath42; 05-30-14 at 10:03 PM.
    mphillips828 likes this.
    05-30-14 09:53 PM
    Sorry, I personally don't like the layout.

Z10 10.2.1.3175 via CB10
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    05-31-14 12:52 AM
    They feel like Launchers all of a sudden...
    Cool stuff!
    05-31-14 02:52 AM
    That's a brilliant Idea, send it to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    mphillips828 likes this.
    05-31-14 04:31 AM
    Absolutely brilliant

Posted Via CB10 Using Z10 Running OS 10.3.0.442
    05-31-14 04:54 AM
    I like your idea! But how could it work on a Q10?
    05-31-14 05:09 AM
    I'll just drop this in case you don't want to use beta zone to provide feedback directly

https://blackberry.icanmakeitbetter.com/nextgen/ideas

The more ideas, the more possibilities when sorting out the right ones!

Posted via CB10
    mphillips828 likes this.
    05-31-14 06:20 AM
    I likey!

From my z30
    05-31-14 11:11 AM
    Like it. Much more useful.
    A vertical carousel using your layout would be cool too instead of paging down to get to the next page of open apps.

Posted via CB10
    mphillips828 likes this.
    05-31-14 04:09 PM
    Like it. Much more useful.
    A vertical carousel using your layout would be cool too instead of paging down to get to the next page of open apps.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly what I was thinking. I hate how it's either one page or the other. You scroll and all four apps move. This way would be a carousel way and scroll as much as the user wants! Feels more controllable by the user!

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 08:10 AM
    You sir, should send this directly to BlackBerry. See this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=933396

It is worth trying it. I love your Interactive Frame implementation. I agree most of the time I just close Active frame because there not use doing this, but your way works more like a widget, with the BB10 touch. It would simply be awesome, great job.

I wonder if there would be a way to make an automatic Interactive Frame from any app, even Android, based on what they used from the framework, like the bottom buttons, or menus..?

Edit: Love Thorsten's golden parachute avatar by the way. ;P

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    Maybe for android if they get more apis for android developers to add that function. For people who get the apk off of snap or something maybe it is just generic functions and nothing truly specific to the app.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 08:12 AM
    I like your idea! But how could it work on a Q10?
    Would work the same way just scaled down of course. It could work great on a Q10 since the screen is wide. It would just show 2 frames per screen. With the option to pin and rearrange and scroll through them 2 wouldn't be too bad.

Personally I'd prefer 2 with much more functionality than 4 that are essentially just pictures of the app.

Z30 and 5inch screen could show 4 per screen.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 08:14 AM
    I'd like to add an idea to further show the power and greatness.

Imagine the calendar app is open in this frame. You have the left side showing your entire monthly view, while on the right side it shows upcoming events in your calendar. To interact you hold down and options pop-up. The options would be create new entry, jump to date, and create new task. Which ever option you choose you will get a toast notification on the screen with the actions. So if you choose new entry you will get a pop-up where you can quickly add a new entry!

I think it would be great and quick! Lots more possibilities for it as well!

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 08:18 AM
    Quite innovative idea but I imagine the work needed to get these working and also the work required by developers will be quite excessive. BB10 is also not a very trimmed down OS as it is so to get this running efficiently, the OS either needs to be trimmed down or the phone would require more ram. But definitely much more effective than what we currently have and it would be lovely if this could be implemented. Maybe add a long hold (just like apps) and swipe up to close the apps.
    06-01-14 08:38 AM
    This is giving active frames a purpose, a true purpose. This is functionality, multitasking and again purpose. I close active frames for all apps, because it serves no purpose. I think it's a great idea/concept. With 10.3, even having the ability to rearrange the active frames does nothing for me- because I don't keep them open. With what you have done here I actually see a purpose.
    Great Job!
    Note: it does look very similar to MS live tiles.
    Last edited by Trini-34; 06-01-14 at 08:59 AM. Reason: To add the note.
    06-01-14 08:55 AM
    https://blackberry.icanmakeitbetter....active-frames-

Like this so we can get this idea pushed through to the people that really matter!
    06-03-14 08:17 PM
    BlackBerry could let Android Widgets run in active frame. If they use this concept.
    06-05-14 10:28 PM
    Here are the rearrange and pinning pictures that I have done and was not able to upload at the time of the original post!

The rearrange will resemble how users rearrange slides on the BlackBerry Express app.
    Redesigned Active Frames!!-blackberry-10-rearrange-frames-1.jpg
    Redesigned Active Frames!!-blackberry-10-rearrange-frames-2.jpg
    Redesigned Active Frames!!-blackberry-10-rearrange-frames-3.jpg
    Redesigned Active Frames!!-blackberry-10-rearrange-frames-4.jpg
    Redesigned Active Frames!!-blackberry-10-rearrange-frames-5.jpg
    Redesigned Active Frames!!-blackberry-10-rearrange-frames-6.jpg
    Redesigned Active Frames!!-blackberry-10-pin-frame-1.jpg
    Redesigned Active Frames!!-blackberry-10-pin-frame-2.jpg
    Redesigned Active Frames!!-blackberry-10-pin-frame-3.jpg
    Redesigned Active Frames!!-blackberry-10-pin-frame-4.jpg
    08-11-14 04:40 PM
    That's good but it kind of reduces the usability, because instead of fitting up to 6 frames on the screen now on 10.3 you reduced it to 3.. I'm digging the pin option

Edit: the interactive part is awesome as well!
    Maybe the should leave the layout as it is (4 vertical rectangles) but as the pin option and the interactive actions..
    Posted via CB10 from my Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.700
    08-11-14 05:00 PM
    Maybe the should leave the layout as it is (4 vertical rectangles) but as the pin option and the interactive actions..
    Agreed

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 05:23 PM
    That's good but it kind of reduces the usability, because instead of fitting up to 6 frames on the screen now on 10.3 you reduced it to 3.. I'm digging the pin option

Fair enough I get that point forsure and i would love if they used any of these features. In my opinion any of these will enhance the usability of active frames which are currently lacking. I like the idea of the larger frames. But a great compromise would be to have the choice. Let the user choose between small medium and large frames. Small will be the current sizing. Medium the ones I propose here. And large would be ultimately full screen apps with complete control as if they were opened apps.

With this method you could scroll through and have a mix. Someone like windows tiles but more interactive features.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 05:51 PM
    That wouldn't be unprecedented.
    Just like PlayBook in the settings.
    User can choose showcase where active frames are large, running, and interactive.
    Otherwise, user can choose paused and it active frames are simply shortcuts but battery life is preserved.

Posted via CB10
    mphillips828 likes this.
    08-19-14 06:36 AM
26 12