In our company we tried the BYOD and these are the reasons it doesn't work.
    1) Multiple platform devices just don't have good integration. Choose either Apple, Google or BlackBerry in this regard. The reasoning should be self explanatory.
    2) Security requires rules and strict clamping of devices. Well the person who pays for the phone doesn't like this. So security is put on the back burner.
    3) Don't call me.....you are using up my minutes! There was definitely a reluctance to use ones device. What happens next is all the employees want compensation which is fair. However, due to the multiple plans, expenses skyrocket. Our company plan is 65.00 per phone. 200 pooled minutes, free anywhere in Canada between devices, unlimited text and photos, free calling evenings and weekends, 6 gig of data. Our costs are fixed, and we can use our devices non stop. Now we have a large facility, and our business is very fluid. We walk a lot less looking for people we need to collaborate with. Before, people would walk untold distances just to avoid using up their plans. It really adds up to a lot of wasted time/production.

There are many more reasons, but it would be nice to hear from others that are involved with BYOD scenarios.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 08:51 AM
    Of the corporate plans that I've heard of, companies would negotiate a flat rate for the phones depending on the amount of minutes and data needed. The phones would be provided by the carrier for no charge.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    05-29-14 08:57 AM
    Thought this might fit better in the BYOD forum. It's a great thread though, keep those thoughts coming!
    05-29-14 09:00 AM
    In my experience BYOD was very successful, company gave us 75$ a month to use our own cell phone, the only connection to the corporate network was a connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server (Outlook). All IT did was provide documents to that effect. All staff that formerly supported phones or the Blackberry Servers were reassigned or let go. There were no issues with people complaining about their minutes, everyone was happy to get their $75 and not have to use the crippled BB Curves anymore or carry two devices. Granted all our company used mobile phones for was Exchange (Email, Calenders, Contacts) and Voice, but BYOD was easy and resulted in a big savings.
    05-29-14 09:13 AM
    Companies are all different - what works for one, may not work for another. BYOD is here to stay and will grow... but it is not for all business.

Your first two points are a little vage...

1) Intergration - are you talking about custom apps? or about management and support?

2) Security - this would depend on the level of security your company needs - if you went BYOD, then I assume you aren't building top secret missiles at this plant. BES10 is a great option for providing a secure work container for apps and email, providing the company the security they want and the user the freedoms they want. It's perfect for BYOD... where it fits in with the overall company needs.

As for your third point....that sounds more like an issue what type of allowance you give people - most I know of it is a set amount that is based on just a basic plan. Of course here in the US most plans are unlimited calling and texting - minute counting is a thing of the past unless you are on some large corporate plan where they still sell shared minutes. Really going to be based on where you are in the world and what types of plans are available and how many people already have a smartphone.

Most of the studies I've seen in the US show that BYOD is cheaper for companies in most (not all) cases. But a lot depended on how much access they need - will it just be adding company email.... or will they need access to company files, are going to manage that access, do you need to retain all communications. BYOD can become more expensive or not even feasible without an employee losing all control over their personal device.
    05-29-14 09:56 AM
    Companies are all different - what works for one, may not work for another. BYOD is here to stay and will grow... but it is not for all business.

Your first two points are a little vage...

1) Intergration - are you talking about custom apps? or about management and support?

2) Security - this would depend on the level of security your company needs - if you went BYOD, then I assume you aren't building top secret missiles at this plant. BES10 is a great option for providing a secure work container for apps and email, providing the company the security they want and the user the freedoms they want. It's perfect for BYOD... where it fits in with the overall company needs.

As for your third point....that sounds more like an issue what type of allowance you give people - most I know of it is a set amount that is based on just a basic plan. Of course here in the US most plans are unlimited calling and texting - minute counting is a thing of the past unless you are on some large corporate plan where they still sell shared minutes. Really going to be based on where you are in the world and what types of plans are available and how many people already have a smartphone.

Most of the studies I've seen in the US show that BYOD is cheaper for companies in most (not all) cases. But a lot depended on how much access they need - will it just be adding company email.... or will they need access to company files, are going to manage that access, do you need to retain all communications. BYOD can become more expensive or not even feasible without an employee losing all control over their personal device.
    1) Integration across all boundaries applies. You can pick apps, file access, almost any topic. Standardization is always better.

2). When we allowed BYOD, the non issued BlackBerry devices were simply denied much access, limiting those employees. It always showed at the meetings the limitations, but hey, Corporate had no choice. Now we are all BB10 devices, everyone is on the same page. It's just better.

3) Our corporate plans are renewed every 3 years. What will stand at that point we will see. But currently our monthly cell bill is back under control. BYOD amongst 40 plus devices was a nightmare. I understand BYOD and agree it will continue. It's easy at first to throw the costs of the devices onto the employees back, so they can have their iphone over a legacy device.....and they jump at it. but as time passes, reality sets in. I don't care about studies so much as we have lived through BYOD, never ever care to see it again.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 01:47 PM
    Let me preface this by saying I am a sys admin at heart, and while I Architect mobile solutions now,i like to remain in control like any good sys admin.

I have done everything from regulated environments (with VERY strict security controls) to BYOD/VDI environment, on premise to in the cloud.

BYOD can be managed, effectively, but you are making a trade off. Much of this is mitigated via policies, but some cannot be.

You need to decide on a stipend. Your users have devices already, so you need to see what minutes and data is going to cost on top of this. Is is an additional 200, 300, 400, etc minutes per month and 2,5,6,10GB of data? Perfect, pay them X amount each per month to cover this. The end user signs an agreement that they will receive that stipend to cover the increase in their bill. If they don't want to do that, then either they don't need the phone or they can use a company owned device with fixed features and expenses. I'd they do sign it, then they have no room to complain about their minutes etc.

You also need policy on expectations of privacy, who owns the data on their device, an acknowledgment form that states the device CAN be wiped if necessary (lost, stolen, malicious software, etc), and of course that work data is work data. You also have a liability issue in many cases if users are using their device for illegal or unethical activities during work hours. This needs to be sorted out during the policy discussions as well.

As for MDM, best bet here is a containerized solution as it provides segregation for work and play. BES10 does this fairly well, but there are others. Fixmo, Good, etc. You need to do a baseline evaluation before rolling out an MDM platform. You need to worry about licenses costs, hardware (VM), software costs, scalability, failover/DR/HA capabilities etc.

Security policies also need to be applied. Password, timeout, wipe after attempts, encryption, etc. This needs to be decided before an MDM in many cases so you can be sure the MDM can handle this.

Applications should be cross platform, at least those developed in house. Focus on HTML5 and other cross platform tools. It can be expensive to rewrite all of your existing apps, but this gives you better access to new and emerging devices.

Again it comes down to policy. You won't ever make all users happy all of the time. If their device does not comply with these basic sets and any policies you develop, you simply don't allow it access.

This is by no means comprehensive and it can take months to do all of this properly. It is a start though. (and not bad for being mobile and off the top of my head).
    06-03-14 06:40 AM

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 01:36 PM