I feel my 9900 ran flawless when it was OS6. Other than the apps do we really need OS7 and the touch screen functions?

After spending "hundreds" of hours on CB these past 2 months, the thing I learned is the core user is the one you seldom hear from and they love their Qwery phones. Yes, BB10 is the future, but if BB would have made the Q10 with a track belt things would have been different. So I agree with others that it would be nice to turn off the touch screen.

I would bet BB would be able to sell the Bold 9900 for another 2 years if they upgrade the OS and leave the touch screen off. Wouldn't this free up some RAM? Or better yet sell a replacement motherboard.

I will most likely buy a Q20 but I will keep my 9900 as a back up.
    rayporsche likes this.
    05-29-14 12:34 AM
    Touch screens are the present and the future, IMHO.
    Why anyone would want to do away with them is beyond me. Yes, touch screens are a necessity if you want to sell phones.
    05-29-14 05:36 AM
    Touch screens are the present and the future, IMHO.
    Why anyone would want to do away with them is beyond me. Yes, touch screens are a necessity if you want to sell phones.
    Hello JayDee,

Yes, BB10 is the future, but if BB would have made the Q10 with a track belt things would have been different. So I agree with others that it would be nice to turn off the touch screen.
    (on the Q20)
    I feel my 9900 ran flawless when it was OS6. Other than the apps do we really need OS7 and the touch screen functions?
    (Why do you need this function on all the time on a Qwerty phone?)
    So I agree with others that it would be nice to turn off the touch screen.
    Wouldn't this free up some RAM?
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 05-29-14 at 06:38 AM.
    05-29-14 06:20 AM
    Good morning to you.

I like having both options.

Trackpad works really well for precision tasks.
    While touchscreen moving / zooming through documents is really nice.

Nope - it ain't broke , don't fix it !
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-29-14 07:27 AM
    It would save battery perhaps so it might be a good option to have but I don't see much changing on BBOS since they have shifted their focus to BB10. Perhaps Q20 "Classic" will sport this option. I think it is good that they have the "Classic" coming soon. A lot of people liked the belt. Personally I have moved on and away and I'm very comfortable using touch screen controls. It was surprisingly more difficult for me to move from Q10 to Z10 than it was from 9900 to Q10. I hope the Q20 is an easy transition. It will be a whole new world on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 07:43 AM
    Well the 9900 is already known to be a touchscreen device, and all the units have already been given a touchscreen ability.
    I'm sure that the touchscreen feature isn't that big of a deal to have, but having the option to turn it off should definitely be welcomed.

Most of the world has already adjusted to touchscreen, and new time BB9900 users probably already look up to this feature, as it's one of its biggest known features, so I don't think turning that off and away would be best for business.

BlackBerry Z10 | 10.3.0.296
    05-29-14 08:12 AM
    Hello Mr4Aces, good to see a few people questioning THE "inevitable" future. No future is inevitable unless you lay down and accept it. Something i've been unable to do since my USMC days. Which is probably why i keep getting dragged back out of retirement. One lesson i learned early in life, the "heard" is no smarter than the leader they're following. Promotions, military or corporate, are underrepresented amongst the "yes sir, no sir, what ever you say sir... " crowd. The real leaders can also be the best at following orders precisely because they are observing and analyzing a given situation with their OWN grey matter. My experience, FWIW, is that the team member that volunteers: "...excuse me, sir, I see data that you might be interested in..." will be the ones turned to when the chips are down. NO thing is more powerful and productive than a COLLABORATION of motivated, thinking, individuals. The single brain at the tyrannical head of a "collective" heard will never out innovate millions of motivated, independently collaborating brains. Tyrants are tyrants simply because they LACK leadership skills to motivate free collaboration. That's my speech for the day...

I got back to the office yesterday after flying to visit one of our vendors. Management sent me there to discuss chronic errors with their ordering and billing. Without revealing too much, i can say that the components we order from this vendor are very custom in nature, dependent on the needs of each project. Sometimes these orders are processed electronically but most times they require verbal clarification to get just what is needed, usually on rush basis. Just the nature of our business.

ANYway, sitting down to the vendor's meeting table to discuss i noticed repeatedly fleeting glimpses at the "antique" 9930 i was using. After briefly wondering if my shirt were unbuttoned, or something, I looked around and saw 7 glass devices at the table. All Apple. Throughout the meeting i pulled up 2 year old emails, invoices, spreadsheets, Bing'ed info, calculated flow to surface velocity for tubing, called, texted and emailed my office for info, etc, etc,. All with one left hand while writing notes on my paper tablet with my other hand. Once we got the past straightened out, i went to lunch with their management and discussed their future with us. Both people immediately asked to see the "old phone" i was using. My focus was the job at hand but they were impressed with the device. Sometimes a little bit of "role model" is just the motivation people need.

Do i think glass is THE future? Maybe. Do i think it is the best future? Not yet, anyway. Glass has promise but that promise isn't quite there, yet. It's still an immature technology that, for some applications, still tends to contribute to persistent errors and delays. Errors that have been vastly under represented since my department's return to 9930's and its belt. We've pursued extraordinary measures to minimize liability posed by the 9930's hypersensitive touch "feature". A "feature" that is unnecessarily redundant given that the trackpad can do ANY thing the touch panel does with demonstrably fewer operational errors.

As to your question about OS6 on the 9900? The SMART guys on my teem are looking into that possibility via a hybrid of some kind but their initial response was negative. Some limitation in the radio files, etc... They're looking, though, because WE would really like to simply eliminate the liability touch, at it's current level of maturity, represents to our operation. Keep you posted.
    Mr4aces and rayporsche like this.
    05-29-14 08:44 AM
    Most of the world has already adjusted to touchscreen, and new time BB9900 users probably already look up to this feature, as it's one of its biggest known features, so I don't think turning that off and away would be best for business.

BlackBerry Z10 | 10.3.0.296
    Hello and thanks for your input, but two different worlds. I'm in the world where the phone's primary function is communicating. i.e. email, texting, TW. FB, BBM, ...... I type over 80 wpm on a desktop so I can't stand one finger typing, so 2 thumbs is the next best thing. Qwery users don't use the phone to play games, but we do use it for searching and run specific apps. So I don't see myself swiping or pinching the screen when I have the menu key. Gesturing works great on Mapquest but I can't think of anything else I use it on.
    05-29-14 08:45 AM
    Actually there was no use of both OS6 and OS7, only one was necessary, i.e, after OS5, they should have released OS7 as OS6, with touch screens and PlayBook OS for the next gen instead of OS7 with Z10 like phones. Then BlackBerrry would have been still in the smartphone race and probably would have been number 1!

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-29-14 09:07 AM
    Checkout this vid . This is a BlackBerry Dev alpha running PlayBook OS. And this video was taken on May 2012, exactly 1 year before BBZ10. They should have actually produced that phone and should have released it instead of OS7 devices on 2011 or atleast early 2012. Now they are always an year behind!

05-29-14 09:16 AM
    Hello Mr4Aces, good to see a few people questioning THE "inevitable" future. No future is inevitable unless you lay down and accept it. .........NO thing is more powerful and productive than a COLLABORATION of motivated, thinking, individuals. The single brain at the tyrannical head of a "collective" heard will never out innovate millions of motivated, independently collaborating brains. Tyrants are tyrants simply because they LACK leadership skills to motivate free collaboration. That's my speech for the day...

......As to your question about OS6 on the 9900? The SMART guys on my teem are looking into that possibility via a hybrid of some kind but their initial response was negative. Some limitation in the radio files, etc... They're looking, though, because WE would really like to simply eliminate the liability touch, at it's current level of maturity, represents to our operation. Keep you posted.
    Thanks Steve your input and experience is always welcome.

Great example of using the 9900 and writing with your other hand.

Sometimes I wonder why they don't get it.

You might ask Zocaster or Pkcable for some help.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/develop.../#post10392250
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 05-29-14 at 09:44 AM.
    05-29-14 09:25 AM
    Checkout this vid . This is a BlackBerry Dev alpha running PlayBook OS. And this video was taken on May 2012, exactly 1 year before BBZ10. They should have actually produced that phone and should have released it instead of OS7 devices on 2011 or atleast early 2012. Now they are always an year behind!

Hey man thanks I'm new here so I didn't know. Just adds to the arrogance of Mike L.
    05-29-14 09:56 AM
    9900 ships with OS7.
    06-05-14 04:15 PM
    9900 ships with OS7.
    I was just about to comment on that one, since I don't remember it ever having OS6 (I owned one). Still, no update turns a normal phone into a touchscreen one, and no manufactures ships touchscreen devices without the software to use them.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    06-05-14 04:30 PM
    I was just about to comment on that one, since I don't remember it ever having OS6 (I owned one). Still, no update turns a normal phone into a touchscreen one, and no manufactures ships touchscreen devices without the software to use them.
    I bought mine when they first 0ame out OS6 was loaded. I "rhink" OS7 came out. 2012
    06-05-14 07:58 PM
    The 9900 never had OS 6. It came with OS 7 and later was updated to 7.1. The last device to ship with OS 6 was the bold 9780 which could not be upgraded to OS 7. If you wanted OS 7 on a torch then you had to buy the 9810. The original torch 9800 came with OS 6 and could not be upgraded to OS 7.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    06-05-14 08:02 PM
    The 9900 never had OS 6. It came with OS 7 and later was updated to 7.1. The last device to ship with OS 6 was the bold 9780 which could not be upgraded to OS 7. If you wanted OS 7 on a torch then you had to buy the 9810. The original torch 9800 came with OS 6 and could not be upgraded to OS 7.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry I. Forgot. I only know when I loaded OS7.1 my phone slow down. So can I go back to 7.0 and not lose the apps? TW, BBm, Social Feeds?
    06-05-14 08:28 PM
    Sorry I. Forgot. I only know when I loaded OS7.1 my phone slow down. So can I go back to 7.0 and not lose the apps? TW, BBm, Social Feeds?
    I would think you could. My 9900 didn't have slow issues on 7.1 though. Maybe it was a bad install?

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    06-05-14 08:35 PM
    I would think you could. My 9900 didn't have slow issues on 7.1 though. Maybe it was a bad install?

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for your info. Could it be bc the 7.1 BBM, Social Feeds, TW keeps running in background? I have 10 email account, more than 5 Twitter accounts and have joined 4 BBM channels. My working RAM starts with only 300k when it gets down to 200k I have to pull the battery. I can live with this because the keyboard is so fast.
    06-05-14 08:52 PM
    I had social feeds and BBM running on mine. I only had one twitter account though. Have you considered backing up your device, wiping it and reinstalling the OS?

Posted via CB10
    06-05-14 08:58 PM
    I had social feeds and BBM running on mine. I only had one twitter account though. Have you considered backing up your device, wiping it and reinstalling the OS?

Posted via CB10
    I live in am area with no internet other than satalite. Should be about one more year for DSL to come in our area.

I will have to have someone else do it for me. Thanks for the info. How much starting RAM so you have?
    06-05-14 09:12 PM
    I live in am area with no internet other than satalite. Should be about one more year for DSL to come in our area.

I will have to have someone else do it for me. Thanks for the info. How much starting RAM so you have?
    I had similar RAM left over as you. I didn't have any slow issues though. I still use it as a back up phone. I really love the device.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    06-05-14 09:16 PM
    I actually love having the touchscreen on my Bold 9900. Though I dont always use it, it sure is nice if I want to select something really quickly onscreen rather than waiting to scroll. Its nice to have both options.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Mr4aces likes this.
    06-07-14 08:32 AM
    I hate full touch screens, I love the 9900 mix of screen + keypad. I'm used to flipping though messages etc and pressing icons but that's about it. I refuse to type on a touch screen at all...
    Mr4aces likes this.
    06-07-14 08:54 AM