Was going to post on the Z10 site, but thought this may be a WFC specific issue. Although... well, you judge. Was at LAX last night picking up wife. Cell reception in and out and as plane was delayed I went on LAX wifi, then to wifi calling (so I could get text when she landed etc.). About 1 minute after I did, phone shut down and restarted. After it came back up, I made sure it was on wifi (which was working) and WFC... and rebooted again. After the third time, I managed to get cell reception and no more issues. After I got back home, returned to WFC without issue. Anyone have a clue as to what might have been going on? (Never happened before and I've used WFC in hotels, airports, restaurants, etc w/o issue).
    05-27-14 09:41 AM
    Hard to say, but it wouldn't surprise me if LAX blocked the SIP ports, which are used in wifi calling. Still, the BlackBerry shouldn't barf.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 01:18 PM
    I agree with yah

Hard to say, but it wouldn't surprise me if LAX blocked the SIP ports, which are used in wifi calling. Still, the BlackBerry shouldn't barf.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 04:28 AM
    Just to add some more info here. I have noticed in the last couple of months that wifi calling on my BB9900 (both of them), Z10 and Q10 have really been awful! They used to be stellar! Sometimes I can't call and sometimes when I do, the other party says they can hardly understand me. I am wondering if this is a result of TMO being divorced from Blackberry or maybe a co-incidence. Sometimes I need to reboot my device to make a call.
    I rely a lot on wifi calling , so, I added some voip programs (Taki on BB10 and Vmobile to my legacy BB99x0's) and this works great on wifi.
    07-04-14 03:55 AM
    My wifi calling works for about a minute then drops. Sometimes I get a call back from the contact I just spoke to, but a completely different person is on the line.

No idea what to do.
    07-04-14 09:32 AM
    The trouble with VOIP on the run, that is VOIP on wifi you don't own, is that you are subject to the quality of the service. You need low jitter for VOIP.

The only town I wifi call in has no cable, let alone cable modems. They have DSL, so wherever I VOIP works fine.

Or course this town now has AT&T cellular service, not that I can roam on it.

http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.php
    has the best VOIP tester, but it doesn't work on phones. It is good for use at home if you don't mind running java.

Obviously if you have a notebook with you, you can run tests on the wifi.

I've noticed the local Starbucks had gone Comcast. These wifi providers need a fat pipe. They aren't concerned with jitter.

Small companies often run cable and DSL, keeping the DSL strictly for Ring Central or similar services, the cable for internet use. The DSL line can be considered "out of band" if you want to do some remote admin.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 09:07 PM
    All interesting but doubt this is the issue. WFC has been perfect for me -- except as noted, at LAX. Though at times (rarely in my case) there are glitches. Usually when making or receiving a call via WFC I have no problems. I have a Z10, my wife a legacy (UMA) and she has yet to have a real problem. If your phone is consistently dropping calls you should get in touch with support.

I did find this on a windows phone forum at T-Mo. One poster had this done and it cured his WFC issues:

"We're sorry you're getting that error message, and want your Wi-Fi Calling to work as perfectly as possible. We'll need to do something similar to what was done for xxx which was to re-send the UICC Identifiers, which help complete the handshake between your phone and our service. We send the information to your phone over a tower signal, and it can take up to 2 hours to complete. Would you prefer to work further on this via email, or call in to Technical Care to get that done?"
    Last edited by scrannel; 07-05-14 at 10:02 AM.
    07-05-14 09:31 AM
    BlackBerry in the past has had issues with mesh wifi. I think the phone suspects MITM attacks or something.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...i-mesh-822045/

The suggestion is to use inter access point handover. I haven't been on a mesh network lately that has needed this, but who knows.

Why would you wifi call from LAX? You can't see a tower?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 09:46 PM

Why would you wifi call from LAX? You can't see a tower?

Posted via CB10
    Correct. I was getting zero cell reception. I have found this to be an issue at LAX in the past but never had WFC problems before.
    07-07-14 09:23 AM
    Correct. I was getting zero cell reception. I have found this to be an issue at LAX in the past but never had WFC problems before.
    I would complain to T-mob. LAX should have tower reception. I mean seriously, what a place to have a reception hole.

Posted via CB10
    peter0328 likes this.
    07-07-14 02:48 PM
    BTW, because I really had no choice, I switched to Verizon FIOS a few days ago and started getting dropped calls while using WFC. For those of you using FIOS, who may be having issues, there seems to be a simple fix. By default the SIP ALG option in the Verizon router is disabled. But you can simply go into the settings and turn it on. So far no more dropped calls. Just thought I'd share.
    07-09-14 08:22 PM
    BTW, because I really had no choice, I switched to Verizon FIOS a few days ago and started getting dropped calls while using WFC. For those of you using FIOS, who may be having issues, there seems to be a simple fix. By default the SIP ALG option in the Verizon router is disabled. But you can simply go into the settings and turn it on. So far no more dropped calls. Just thought I'd share.
    Looks like a good tip. More on SIP ALG:

http://www.voiptuts.com/2011/02/what...layer.html?m=1

Supposedly the feature is to prevent you from being DDOSed, but I don't believe that for a picosecond. Verizon wants to make it hard for you to get VOIP service at home with a SIP phone. But that really screws up a person with wifi calling on their phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 09:06 PM