A few day's a go a big Dutch criminal was shot and killed. Today there is a story on the news about his BlackBerry.
    This BlackBerry couldn't be decrypted, the try to decrypt found earlier place when he was arrested in 2012 and till today the Dutch police force and even some American experts couldn't break the encryption of it.

Source in Dutch: FOK.nl / Nieuws / Gedode Gwenettes gsm onkraakbaar / FOK!frontpage

Article in English (Translate):
    Thursday in cold blood finished top criminal Gwenette Martha takes probably a thing of secrets along to the other side. Thus, the police never succeeded in his phone to decrypt. Martha's lawyer calls are dead now "Judicial failure '.

The Blackberry Gwenette Martha was seized during his arrest in late 2012, writes AT5. There were also found to interfere with jammers, GSM and GPS signals to locate and sweepers. Listening devices The phone was first taken over by the Dutch Forensic Institute in progress, but in vain. Then tried the thing to crack experts in the U.S. but also drew the short straw. Eventually Justice gave up.

An interim meeting of one of the two lawsuits in which he was accused, gave Martha, moreover, that he wanted to work on decrypting the mobile phone. "But I do have the code still remember," he added, perhaps significant to it.

Martha might otherwise await these things freely, according to his lawyer Nico Meijering in Parool . There were conditions attached. The top criminal had to stay in the Netherlands and to report regularly to a police station. Against asylum lawyer his client's behalf because it would bring.'s Life in danger When Martha recently bought a bulletproof vest he was promptly arrested on suspicion of plotting a crime. That does not, but says he wore Meijering.
    05-24-14 02:15 PM
    I have always used device encryption on every BlackBerry I've owned.

Q10SQN100-2/10.2.1.2174
    BitPusher2600 likes this.
    05-24-14 02:26 PM
    Thanks for posting. Security of data stored on a password locked, encrypted BlackBerry smartphone is the best in the world.
    Last edited by BlackBerry Guy; 05-25-14 at 11:18 AM.
    05-24-14 02:29 PM
    Where are all the people who say BlackBerry is just as secure as iphones/android without BES?

I doubt this criminal has BES.

What say you?

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    05-24-14 02:39 PM
    One of the many reasons I use BlackBerry #stopreadingmy**** lol

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 02:40 PM
    Thanks for the news OP. Maybe instead, the focus should be put on improving programs and research towards crime prevention. BlackBerry just provides the tools. Everything else is dealing with the business, people, processes and regulations around it.

Posted via CB10
    zeelob and andy957 like this.
    05-24-14 02:54 PM
    The encryption can be broken given enough time and resources. The issue lies in the time and resources
    05-24-14 04:10 PM
    The encryption can be broken given enough time and resources. The issue lies in the time and resources
    I'm sure they have their backs covered from this by changing the key or even deleting the data altogether after a set number of false attempts

Posted via CB10 from my Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.442
    05-24-14 04:23 PM
    You do realize that all modern smartphones (iOS, Android, WinPhone, BB10) have device encryption available, though in all cases, it is turned off by default, right? The story would be no different if this was an iPhone or Galaxy that the user had encrypted. Without the password, it can be wiped clean, but the data can't be accessed short of a brute-force hack on a copy of the data.
    05-24-14 06:19 PM
    You do realize that all modern smartphones (iOS, Android, WinPhone, BB10) have device encryption available, though in all cases, it is turned off by default, right? The story would be no different if this was an iPhone or Galaxy that the user had encrypted. Without the password, it can be wiped clean, but the data can't be accessed short of a brute-force hack on a copy of the data.
    Except there seem to be tons of ways to bypass the password on both Android and iOS.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 06:26 PM
    You're thinking about a normal lock pin/password, which can be very short and simple.

When you turn on encryption, a longer, complex password is required, and there's no bypassing it. Just like with BB, 10 wrong entries will wipe the device.
    dolco likes this.
    05-24-14 10:50 PM
    You're thinking about a normal lock pin/password, which can be very short and simple.

When you turn on encryption, a longer, complex password is required, and there's no bypassing it. Just like with BB, 10 wrong entries will wipe the device.
    That's wrong. There are many devices vulnerable to memory access and dump (especially android) even with encryption enabled.

Look up cellebrite UFED.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 12:25 AM
    Thanks for posting. Security of data stored on a password locked, encrypted BlackBerry smartphone is the best in the world.
    The funny thing is that when bitcoin got its bad rep for criminal use everyone was saying that it was bad ppl using it and not bad tech. But I always see these situations result in 'BlackBerry is bad bc it prevents police from doing their job'.... yes, that may be true, but if it isn't BlackBerry it will eventually be someone else

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 12:25 AM
    Do a quick search online in regards to breaking data encryption on androids and you will find at least 3 different methods.
    Do the same research online about Blackberry and you will be hard pressed to find one.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 01:16 AM
    Never heard of such news as governments can't decrypt or break in a phone. But it happens to a BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 05:04 AM
    this story may be somewhat old, but when people start talking about Iphone vs. blackberry security please refer them to this link
    Is the BlackBerry really more secure than the iPhone? (+video) - CSMonitor.com
    nuf said
    05-25-14 08:08 AM
    I have always used device encryption on every BlackBerry I've owned.

Q10SQN100-2/10.2.1.2174
    Absolutely. Likewise.
    05-25-14 08:49 AM
    Simply amazing device. To think that many people still don't know the power of BlackBerry phones.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 10:31 AM
    That's too bad,.. although I did find his consistently moderately-toned, properly composed posts a bit suspicious. I mean--look around you, this is the internet after all...

Posted via CB10
    The Big Picture likes this.
    05-25-14 12:09 PM
    The article says it couldn't be broken. After trying to crack it in Holland they sent it to some experts in America. After 9 months they gave up.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 02:04 PM
    The article says it couldn't be broken. After trying to crack it in Holland they sent it to some experts in America. After 9 months they gave up.
    I think he means theoretically. Maybe it can be broken in 75 years.
    spikesolie likes this.
    05-25-14 02:20 PM
    I'm sure they have their backs covered from this by changing the key or even deleting the data altogether after a set number of false attempts

Posted via CB10 from my Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.442
    For most things yes. Keep in mind at extremely high levels this may not be sufficient. There have been warnings issued to not use BBs over certain wireless and WiFi networks. not public warnings of course. But they are there.
    05-25-14 03:52 PM
    ......there is something wrong with this post that I cant seem to get my finger on....oh yes, your information is grossly incorrect. Yup that's it
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    05-25-14 04:35 PM
    ......there is something wrong with this post that I cant seem to get my finger on....oh yes, your information is grossly incorrect. Yup that's it
    His information is mostly incorrect although he is right about Windows Phone offering full device encryption but only through a company account with an EAS policy.
    05-25-14 05:58 PM
    Are there any disadvantages of enabling device encryption or media card encryption on my Z10?

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    05-25-14 06:25 PM
61 123