Phone manufacturers are now rolling out QHD display phones (1440 x 2560), but still no sight of a 1080p BB10 all touch device :-(

I'm tempted to get the Xperia Z2

Posted via my Zee Zed 10
    dmach33 likes this.
    05-23-14 06:23 AM
    If specs matter so much to you, then get one of those phones

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 07:17 AM
    I agree with the OP that BlackBerry is asking for trouble if it intends to lag the market in display technology. Remember, better displays actually look better, which is why some Z10 owners didn't upgrade to the Z30.

Let's see how the Windermere pans out. The rumored display specs are pretty high, so here's hoping the Z50 will close any remaining gap in display quality when it is eventually launched.

Posted via Z-10 100-3 running10.3.0.296/442 hybrid
    seletok and haringfish like this.
    05-23-14 08:25 AM
    BlackBerry should at least confirm that they're working on a high end full tough screen device. All they have been focusing on in their press statements is qwerty keyboard phones.

Posted via my Zee Zed 10
    05-23-14 08:39 AM
    There is proof That BlackBerry has been working a 1920x1080 device along with confirmation that that the next device released will be a 1440x1440 display.

Just because there's no press release, doesn't mean things don't exist
    Pdinos3, joejuck, smart548 and 1 others like this.
    05-23-14 09:01 AM
    They've focusing on qwerty phones because they are also putting their main focus on the enterprise market... go figure.
    05-23-14 09:35 AM
    Our eyes could not find a much difference after ppi exceeds 350. That's why apple has never increased their ppi. Also high ppi phones use more battery and processing power.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    05-23-14 09:52 AM
    It's about more than eyes seeing pixels. Not many people will argue that above a certain PPI, around 300, pixels are a non-issue. That's not the point. The point is screen content. With more pixels, there's more content. It's the difference between having to scroll through a spreadsheet/image/webpage or seeing the entire thing at once. It makes a difference.

That being said, having worked on 1920x1080 20" monitors regularly, I can't imagine needing to see more content than that on a phone screen. It was tough enough to see/read things on a 20" screen. You do get to a point of diminishing returns. Where it does come into play is when connecting to an external display. Being able to support high resolution in this type of application is very important, especially if ever dreaming of a desktop/laptop replacement. The display needs to be able to translate to a high-resolution monitor display (1080P+) - this means proper title bar scaling, scroll bar scaling etc (e.g., with docs to go connected via HDMI, the title bar takes up about 15% of the screen - that should not happen).
    05-23-14 10:22 AM
    Our eyes could not find a much difference after ppi exceeds 350. That's why apple has never increased their ppi. Also high ppi phones use more battery and processing power.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    I've seen the debate disputing the desirability of high end phone displays on old Nokia/Meego/Maemo forums, Motorola forums (as their "flagship" MotoX had a 720p display), and now here. Apart from (maybe, but not really) the iPhone, every flagship wanna-be that has tried to "get away with" lower end displays has had disappointing sales. Every. Single. One.

"Tried and failed?"
    "Tried and died."

Better displays simply look better, especially when compared side by side at the phone store. Don't kid yourselves that deficits in display quality will go unnoticed. Even here in our forum, there have been posts by Z10 owners who cite display quality as a reason or even THE reason that they didn't move to the Z30.

But what about increased system demands posed by high end displays? The answer to the increased resource needs of such displays is to include better optimization software, higher capacity batteries, and faster memory and processing hardware.

TL/DR: The phone should delight. The phone should dazzle. Ignore this at your peril.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    05-26-14 04:48 PM
    As important as keeping up with the Jones is, Blackberry has bigger fish to fry.

Side note: Even though the specs on the Playbook was way better than the IPAD, it did little in terms of sales.
    05-26-14 05:52 PM
    As important as keeping up with the Jones is, Blackberry has bigger fish to fry.

Side note: Even though the specs on the Playbook was way better than the IPAD, it did little in terms of sales.
    That's because the OS was and still is incomplete, and the app catalog was and still is horrendous. Android has competed with Apple by releasing higher spec'd devices with a competing app catalog at a same or lower price point than Apple's products and the strategy worked. Specs are the differentiator. Microsoft on price, and that strategy is working better than BlackBerry. BlackBerry only better part is the UI and the way the OS works (but that is very subjective and my opinion), but it lacks app catalog, specs, or competitive pricing and no public awareness. BlackBerry must have something other than keyboards to win over and keep customers because it is clear that this isn't important to the vast majority of the market anymore.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-26-14 06:20 PM
    That's because the OS was and still is incomplete, and the app catalog was and still is horrendous. Android has competed with Apple by releasing higher spec'd devices with a competing app catalog at a same or lower price point than Apple's products and the strategy worked. Specs are the differentiator. Microsoft on price, and that strategy is working better than BlackBerry. BlackBerry only better part is the UI and the way the OS works (but that is very subjective and my opinion), but it lacks app catalog, specs, or competitive pricing and no public awareness. BlackBerry must have something other than keyboards to win over and keep customers because it is clear that this isn't important to the vast majority of the market anymore.

You are right about apps and specs, but the OS already has more features than both iOS and WP8. To say it's incomplete is just plain wrong.

Edit: ignore this if you were in fact talking about the PlayBook.
    05-26-14 06:31 PM
    You are right about apps and specs, but the OS already has more features than both iOS and WP8. To say it's incomplete is just plain wrong.

Edit: ignore this if you were in fact talking about the PlayBook.
    I was referring to the PlayBook. BB10 is complete, it really only lacks an official app catalog and/or official way to load Android apps. I would be thrilled if Bb10 were released to the PlayBook as I think it would still be a very relevant device with proper OS and software.

05-26-14 07:40 PM
    1440x2560 on something in your damn pocket?

Wow.

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    05-26-14 09:41 PM
    I was referring to the PlayBook. BB10 is complete, it really only lacks an official app catalog and/or official way to load Android apps. I would be thrilled if Bb10 were released to the PlayBook as I think it would still be a very relevant device with proper OS and software.

There's absolutely an "official" way to load apps in 10.2.1+. As for an app catalog, that gets a little problematic. For BB to do their own Android catalog, they'd be cannibalizing their own BB World.

I'd heard a rumor that the Z3 comes preloaded with 1mobile. I wish that could be confirmed, because if it's true that's VERY interesting...
    05-26-14 10:13 PM
    There's absolutely an "official" way to load apps in 10.2.1+. As for an app catalog, that gets a little problematic. For BB to do their own Android catalog, they'd be cannibalizing their own BB World.

I'd heard a rumor that the Z3 comes preloaded with 1mobile. I wish that could be confirmed, because if it's true that's VERY interesting...
    I can confirm that it does not, at least in indonesia. however blackberry gives you official instructions on how to obtain a 3rd party android app store.

If they keep the device under 5" in size, i reckon 1080p would be the highest they should go. anything higher than that would just cause unwanted battery consumption. well, if we can have our cake and eat it too (i.e both super high res and long battery life) i'm not gonna complain! Pretty satisfied with the size of my z10, although the OS even at 10.2 still feels a little immature, the biggest thing that bugs me is the battery life.
    05-26-14 10:59 PM

It is not official. They have a way that works, but without having to side load the initial app, and having it in BBW it isn't official.

05-27-14 01:07 PM
    BB is not nor has ever been n the cutting edge.
    05-27-14 01:33 PM
    It is not official. They have a way that works, but without having to side load the initial app, and having it in BBW it isn't official.

blackberry has official instructions on how to install android apps on their own website advertising their products. dont see how it can get more official than that, short of preloading amazon marketplace.
    05-27-14 03:31 PM
    It's about more than eyes seeing pixels. Not many people will argue that above a certain PPI, around 300, pixels are a non-issue. That's not the point. The point is screen content. With more pixels, there's more content. It's the difference between having to scroll through a spreadsheet/image/webpage or seeing the entire thing at once. It makes a difference.

That being said, having worked on 1920x1080 20" monitors regularly, I can't imagine needing to see more content than that on a phone screen. It was tough enough to see/read things on a 20" screen. You do get to a point of diminishing returns. Where it does come into play is when connecting to an external display. Being able to support high resolution in this type of application is very important, especially if ever dreaming of a desktop/laptop replacement. The display needs to be able to translate to a high-resolution monitor display (1080P+) - this means proper title bar scaling, scroll bar scaling etc (e.g., with docs to go connected via HDMI, the title bar takes up about 15% of the screen - that should not happen).
    Alot of idiots buy phones.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 03:44 PM

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    I personally notice quite a difference between retina and 440 ppi (such as on the droid DNA) and even that to the 468 ppi HTC one.

I sort of consider the iPhone on the low end of acceptable these days.
    diogoteixeira87 likes this.
    05-27-14 04:00 PM
    Why have millions of pixels if you can't see it on such a tiny phone?

My awesome Z30 just impressed you again!
    05-27-14 04:07 PM
    Why have millions of pixels if you can't see it on such a tiny phone?

My awesome Z30 just impressed you again!
    Well these are 5.5" phones. The whole point is to not be able to 'see' the pixels. But I'm guessing we're about reaching severely diminishing returns above 400ppi. Probably going to stop at that just how the clock speed wars ended.
    05-27-14 04:19 PM
    I am guessing it will be double your guess, to take account of the extra pixels needed for 3d, but yes they are good enough already, 1080p is overkill at this size.
    05-28-14 03:48 AM
    Have you guys seen the LG G3?

Posted via my Zee Zed 10
    05-28-14 12:30 PM
74 123