I have been trying to clean up the mess which is my Contacts now. Old BB7 Contacts were always 100% under my control, with BB10 Contacts is a literal cluster.

I understand some people have no problems! Your tranquil experience with BB10 Contacts is noted, but responses telling me how great it works for you aren't going to help me.

I have searched various threads and the threads on this topic matter are a mess and I have yet to find anyone who has done a comprehensive guide to tackle this issue.

I have moved pretty much all my contacts to Google Contacts within GMail. In my Google Contacts I have eliminated all dupes (this took some time). So on my phone I goto Contacts, open the Settings (pulling down from the top of the contacts app). I go to the Show Account in Contact List options. I turn everything off, but I still have contacts showing up. Not sure where they are coming from. Also the contacts that are showing up sometimes have up to 6-12 links. When I go to unlink multiple links I save it and than open the contact back up to find all the links back, except for 1.

How do I unlink everything without doing it 1 contact at a time?

How do I get rid of these mystery contacts on my phone that are showing up even though I have specified not to show any contacts from any source? Also if I delete a contact that is linked to Google will it delete both?
    05-22-14 04:31 PM
    I have a suspicion that this is due to certain apps you have on, like skype, or other android apps
    Or a very old OS, which i guess isn't the case?
    05-22-14 04:53 PM
    No, it will not delete both. Please open contacts, hit the bottom left button and list here what list you see. This will help me to help you.
    05-22-14 05:20 PM
    If I'm not mistaken, the only contacts that you can not hide are local contacts; which are contacts you put on the phone itself.

Of for the contacts being a mess for so many people, I just had a though and I wonder if the people experiencing issues are saving their contacts with proper formatting such as first name, last name, company name and phone number. The only issues that I have with contacts is the fact that the same number might appear twice when linked with Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin; the fact that both the call and text functions appear for any number regardless of designating a number as home, work or other when the text function should only ever appear for numbers designated as mobile. In all other aspects, the contacts app works as well as it should; although I must admit that I don't open it often as I do everything through the hub or universal search.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-14 05:35 PM
    Maybe but, many people, including me, receive and send text messages from their home number. That would make it a little hard wouldn't it?
    05-22-14 11:29 PM
    I have a suspicion that this is due to certain apps you have on, like skype, or other android apps
    Or a very old OS, which i guess isn't the case?
    Maybe, but I don't have a ton of Droid Apps, my OS is pretty recent, a 10.2 variant of some sort. Maybe 10.3 addresses this.

No, it will not delete both. Please open contacts, hit the bottom left button and list here what list you see. This will help me to help you.
    OK that is very good news. So what item do I want to select from the menu that opens from do you want me to open a contact and hit that - - - MORE button? Then what?

If I'm not mistaken, the only contacts that you can not hide are local contacts; which are contacts you put on the phone itself.

Of for the contacts being a mess for so many people, I just had a though and I wonder if the people experiencing issues are saving their contacts with proper formatting such as first name, last name, company name and phone number. The only issues that I have with contacts is the fact that the same number might appear twice when linked with Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin; the fact that both the call and text functions appear for any number regardless of designating a number as home, work or other when the text function should only ever appear for numbers designated as mobile. In all other aspects, the contacts app works as well as it should; although I must admit that I don't open it often as I do everything through the hub or universal search.

Posted via CB10
    You know this linking idea seems great in theory, always have a real copy of your contacts on your phone (not via a Google Cloud, etc) and link all the connected stuff to it. I don't know why they made it such a chore to manage. You bring up a very good point about the data multiplying itself unnecessarily. BB Contacts should be able to understand that info is redundant and only wastes screen real estate (which as at a premium on mobile devices) and doesn't provide at a glance clarity to the user.

Like I said I moved my data to Google Contacts but I am just gathering information about how these contacts and links work before I start deleting stuff. I was hearing good things about the way Outlook.com handles contacts and I set up an account there. It seems you can do all your social linking within Outlook.com contacts which saves you from doing crazy linking on the BB phone. If BlackBerry would provide a web interface it would give power users a much need option on how to manage their contacts.

Maybe but, many people, including me, receive and send text messages from their home number. That would make it a little hard wouldn't it?
    Huh?
    05-23-14 09:47 AM
    OP, please post a screen shot like this. I need to see what is in your list to see if I can help
    Trying to Clean up Contacts (Duplicates and Octopuss Links)-img_20140523_175654.png
    05-23-14 08:14 PM
    OP, please post a screen shot like this. I need to see what is in your list to see if I can help
    OK

Well I would but for some reason CrackBerry won't let me do this via my PC browser. LOL I open the dialog box to upload a pic and there is no "OK" or "Submit" button. I even add the file via the dialog box thinking it would just upload when I gave it a file name and path.

Maybe the Universe is telling me to buy Android.

On my ScreenShot I have 3 options...

All
    Favorites
    Groups

That's it. All my contacts are a linked mess still. I still have Facebook, Gmail, Twitter, etc tied in, but disabled from view. I am thinking I may need to re setup the accounts and not allow some to sync to contacts at all.
    05-28-14 10:26 AM
    good that i found this thread... i was going to ask the same thing. i like keeping my contacts straight from google contacts.. i deleted all numbers from the phone.. but for some reason they keep getting duplicated over and over. does it has to do with , viber, tango?
    05-28-14 10:46 AM
    good that i found this thread... i was going to ask the same thing. i like keeping my contacts straight from google contacts.. i deleted all numbers from the phone.. but for some reason they keep getting duplicated over and over. does it has to do with , viber, tango?
    Hmm so you moved all your contacts to Google and deleted your local and SIM contacts. You only enable Google in your contact views and still getting dupes?

Do you have to completely disable other contact sources (IE: Facebook, Twitter, etc)?
    05-29-14 11:05 AM