I think we can all agree that BlackBerry 10 has grown tremendously. That being said do you think if it started off with where it is (software wise) now would it be more successful/less successful/no change?

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 02:09 PM
    I think it would've done much better as it's a more complete OS now.. and the big one, Android apps can be installed directly.

That said, even though I have a Z10, I think they Should've launched with the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 02:10 PM
    They'd have taken over the 3rd place over MS for sure. All that money for marketing was wasted on what ended up being a beta OS.
    05-19-14 02:13 PM
    No change....u still would've had your people that tried it and mayb more would've stayed with the platform but it's like that article on crackberry not long ago said....Bb has to make people care again. Until u see a lot more advertising and BlackBerry10 doing stuff that the competition can't, it's not going to take off

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Rello; 05-19-14 at 05:12 PM.
    Mack Gans, kbz1960 and jh07 like this.
    05-19-14 02:20 PM
    We can all guess how things would have gone until we're blue in the face but we can't turn back the clock, and we'll never know if any of our ideas would have worked. Plus I bet each one of us have a different idea on what would have workED. My wish is that they had started with the Z30 with 10.2.1 functionality. The Z10 was developed during a time when the largest screens being used were around 4.3" When the Z10 was released, however, people were gravitating toward 4.5" - 4.8" screens. Plus 1080p screens were still a few months out when the Z10 was released, so the 5" 720p of the Z30 would have been seen as a high spec.

I also wish that BB hadn't forked over the cash for a Super Bowl commercial, or spent the money hiring Alicia Keys who really didn't do anything to bolster the brand. I think that money could have been better spent on more ads demonstrating that BB10 was brand new. In all the commercials I saw, they demonstrated the hub, peek, flow, and active frames for a split second and didn't say anything about how BB10 was completely built from the ground up and was not just an interface over the same BBOS that would result in the same spinning clocks and battery pulls that many people probably still equate with BlackBerry.

Anyway, those are just my ideas and who knows if the would have amounted to squat.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 05-20-14 at 08:51 AM. Reason: typo
    05-19-14 02:26 PM
    There were many things going against BlackBerry at the time the Z10 came out.

The inexcusable delay in the U.S. after that initial New York reveal didn't help at all. Any momentum they could have had with that launch was effectively killed with the delay.

The condition of the OS wouldn't have made a difference if no one was buying it in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 03:57 PM
    Nah, it probably did not change that much.

The one biggest reason that people do not choose BlackBerry - lack of apps would still be the same. And the general public does not know about the side loading and such. Also for me as well, while I do use Android apps for Paypal, Kakaotalk messaging, etc. I can definitely notice that the apps have not been designed specifically for my Q10 and there are still Android apps that install but only function partially.

So people want support from apps developers.

Lastly, if you want to talk about bad product releases in smartphone OSes, pretty much all operating systems released were close to its beta stage at its release. WP8 for instance had glitches with its basic volume function which has just been fixed with Windows Phone 8.1. Even IOS had its share of failures at the start as well.

Edit: I agree on the Alicia Keys comment. She is a bad singer to begin with and she did not do anything for the company.
    05-19-14 04:09 PM
    I wonder where BlackBerry would be today if the Z10 released 1 year earlier than it actually did and it came installed with 10.2.1.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 04:49 PM
    Such a question can never be real HW/SW companies don't start off by killing their own ecosystem. Actually I liked some of the earlier versions where BB10 seemed more native. I don't think it would make much of a difference as it's still easier just buying an android phone.
    05-19-14 05:00 PM
    The brand is broken. Would not have mattered that much

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 06:21 PM
    I think we can all agree that BlackBerry 10 has grown tremendously. That being said do you think if it started off with where it is (software wise) now would it be more successful/less successful/no change?

Posted via CB10
    People will still nitpick.

Just at the z10 somebody's nitpicking about scrolling speed + scrolling smoothness. Then goes to endless rage mode about "zomfgwhyizmytwitter/facebook/instagramnotrenderingasfastasiphonezomfgblackberry yousuck" when to some its a non-issue.

However, some that feels the above is a non-issue can nitpick about other things, like "OMFGWHENISOPENVPNSUPPORTCOMING" , or like internally among BlackBerry users, "ZOMFGYUNOGIVSQUIRCLEBACK" rants. (i'm pro-squircle, by the way)

Point being? People will still complain.
    05-19-14 07:24 PM
    Point being? People will still complain.
    True, but with all the (many!) things that people have to complain about with WP8, iOS, and Android, people are still buying those phones. You can't find perfection in software, but I think we can all at least agree that 10.0 and 10.1 just weren't ready for widespread use.

As others have said, though, it took the Android team and the iOS team many years to get to a shipping product. WP8 also builds upon decades of work at Microsoft. So BB started on their modern OS way too late for anyone to expect them to catch up within just a couple of years.

I don't think we can say they should have waited for 10.2.1.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    05-19-14 09:17 PM
    I think that it would have made a huge difference. The OS wasn't great when it was released. I'd even say it was behind Legacy on features. Now it's finally getting there.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    05-19-14 09:23 PM
    Having been onboard since 10.0, I'm extremely happy with the progress the OS has made. It really is a new OS from the ground up, and to be fair, the BBOS 7 reputation had been pretty badly battered. Even with the changes and improvements that have been made, only the BB faithful have the patience and dedication to stick with BB. Nobody else really has any idea what 10.2 or 10.3 can actually do, and whether you wear a tinfoil hat (It's a conspiracy against privacy!!!!) or believe the marketing has failed, the unfortunate reality is that only aficianados like us really understand the progress that's been made and the potential this OS has.

I check this site daily (sometimes hourly) to see if there is another leak or tweak available to make my device even more powerful than it already is.
    05-19-14 09:37 PM
    It actually started with a beta, 10.3 is the real OS

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 11:19 PM
    Am I the only one that feels like the OS hasn't evolved much at all? Still have tons of the same problems since launch.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 11:37 PM
    I think that money could have been better spent on more ads demonstrating that BB10 was brand new. In all the commercials I saw, they demonstrated the hub, peek, flow, and active frames for a split second and didn't say anything about how BB10 was completely built from the ground up and was not just an interface over the same BBOS that would result in the same spinning clocks and battery pulls that many people probably still equate with BlackBerry.
    This. Very much this.

In pretty much all of the anti-BlackBerry rhetoric you see all over the place, among all the public opinion, and among the stories and grudges of pretty much everyone who has given even a passing notice... is the theme that people simply don't acknowledge that BB10 is *not* BB7.5.

I know it might be some marketing taboo to come right out and say "we know our old product sucked, but our new one is completely different," but that message desperately needs to get out. Its also a message that BlackBerry needs to take ownership of, rather than expect others (i.e. carriers) to do it for them. Nearly all the BB10 ads I've seen have been from carriers, and they made it look like a friggin feature phone. When you go there, how is it different than any other random device-of-the-month?
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-20-14 12:14 AM
    True, but with all the (many!) things that people have to complain about with WP8, iOS, and Android, people are still buying those phones. You can't find perfection in software, but I think we can all at least agree that 10.0 and 10.1 just weren't ready for widespread use.

As others have said, though, it took the Android team and the iOS team many years to get to a shipping product. WP8 also builds upon decades of work at Microsoft. So BB started on their modern OS way too late for anyone to expect them to catch up within just a couple of years.

I don't think we can say they should have waited for 10.2.1.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    I agree, but haters will be haters, trolls will be trolls. BlackBerry wasn't designed to be updated like Android nightly / weekly builds but people seem to veer into that train of thought that BlackBerry should have done things like that.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 02:45 AM
    No. Despite some flaws and room for improvement, if memory serves I think most tech reviews were generally positive regarding basic functionality of the os. There were many factors in play. A few issues with the os and some room to grow probably weren't the primary factors in the stalled launch of BB10. Lack of apps and pure indifference of consumers toward the brand were probably bigger issues. At least where I'm from in the US, most people just didn't care about what blackberry had to offer, whether good or bad. It wasn't even a consideration for most consumers.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    05-20-14 05:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    I don't think it would make a difference. The die hard fans are only ones who got a ? 10 device....
    05-20-14 05:57 AM
    I agree, but haters will be haters, trolls will be trolls. BlackBerry wasn't designed to be updated like Android nightly / weekly builds but people seem to veer into that train of thought that BlackBerry should have done things like that.

Posted via CB10
    I read when this all started how fast and easy QNX was to code for and how fast they can move with development. Well I agree they have moved fast, at least faster than others in a similar time period. So why does it take them so long to fix an issue? I don't expect weekly or monthly updates but I do expect annoying to get you PO'd bugs fixed in at least a couple months if not before after being discovered.

Instead it seems they spend time on cosmetics like flat icons.
    05-20-14 08:27 AM