I am looking at purchasing a Q10 to use as my work phone for a couple of reasons:

1) I want to see how I would like going back to a physical keyboard.

2) I want to use my Z10 as a testing device, and Z30 will remain my personal device.

I am curious to hear feedback on the Q10 (running the latest OFFICIAL OS) vs Z10/Z30 and in addition I would like to hear it compared to older BB devices such as the the Bold. I seen a video from a year ago done by Kevin talking to the differences in adding speed dial numbers on the Q10 vs the Bold and the Q10 appears deficient in this area. The video is older and I was wondering if this like this have been addressed in the OS updates.

Any other updates to the flow and functionality that I should be aware of other than the generic BB 10 features?
    05-17-14 09:59 AM
    I believe the speed dial issue was fixed in 10.2. Speed dials were there in the beginning but you had to open the phone application and go to the dial pad for them to work. Now you can set them in the phone application settings then press and hold your speed dial from the home screen and it makes the call. I don't use this as often as I should because typing "call 'name'" is how I have been doing it with instant actions since launch of BB10 on all 3 devices. I love universal search and instant actions.

--edit---
    I have also been toggling a lot between my Z30 and Q10 but always come back to the Q10. Less typo's and handy keyboard shortcuts help me more throughout my day than a big screen does. I also don't care for the size of the Z30. The Q10 is just comfortable in my hands. I tried going back to the Z10 but battery on that cant keep up with the Q10 and Z30.

The 10.2.1 official OS that is on all devices now seems very stable and has come a long way since Kevin's initial Q10 review.
    05-17-14 10:26 AM
    i actually just had a Q10 come in today. I got tired of the auto-correct on the Z10 and the keyboard lag when messaging quickly.

i would quickly type "yea" for example and hit send immediately after, and the Z would send "Y" and leave the "ea" as ghost text in the compose field

does the Q have this issue?
    05-17-14 10:31 AM
    Perfect I am glad to hear speed dial is working from the home screen. As a productivity device this makes a lot more sense than the previous multi-step process.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-14 10:43 AM
    i actually just had a Q10 come in today. I got tired of the auto-correct on the Z10 and the keyboard lag when messaging quickly.

i would quickly type "yea" for example and hit send immediately after, and the Z would send "Y" and leave the "ea" as ghost text in the compose field

does the Q have this issue?
    If I start typing before something loads properly I have had it miss the first letter but that's about it.
    05-17-14 10:47 AM
    Hi BlueStreak67,

I have my Q10 For more then a year now. It has the latest official software, and I use it mainly for my work. To be honest I don't use the speeddial option not a much as I could. I'm also used to the Universal Search option. It suits my work flow great. I just have extended my personal phone plan and got myself a Z30. I never felt much for the Z10. Using both devices next to each other makes me even more believe that the Q is really meant as a workhorse and the Z as a wonderful private phone. But that's just my humble opinion.

Good luck on your choice

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 05:10 AM
    The Q10 is hands down the way to go. It's only flaw is the, none too scarce, double-typing issue. If you switch be sure it is under warranty for at least a year so that you can verify that you are one of the lucky ones.

Posted via CBQ10
    05-18-14 07:27 AM
    Hi BlueStreak67,

I have my Q10 For more then a year now. It has the latest official software, and I use it mainly for my work. To be honest I don't use the speeddial option not a much as I could. I'm also used to the Universal Search option. It suits my work flow great. I just have extended my personal phone plan and got myself a Z30. I never felt much for the Z10. Using both devices next to each other makes me even more believe that the Q is really meant as a workhorse and the Z as a wonderful private phone. But that's just my humble opinion.

Good luck on your choice

Posted via CB10
    That's how I envision it when I get the Q10. Q for work and my Z's for play.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 07:48 AM
    Hi Bluestreak

I've had my Q10 for about 8 months now - prior to that 9900, 9700, 9000, 8820, etc

The Q10 still doesn't have a lot of the productivity functionality that the Bolds had, eg
    • automatically move to next message after delete
    • Wi-Fi Calling / UMA (I always had this before with Orange UK)
    • decent Universal Search (the 9xxx's had excellent search functionality - I have to try multiple searches to find the right contacts in my Q10)
    • search for emails based on sender of current emails (on the Q you have to type into the search box within the Hub - on the 9900 it was one touch)
    • Highlight All -> Delete, or Highlight All -> Mark Read is another known bug on the Q
    • as good integration with my PlayBook (which I still use most days for viewing files, as it saves me from having to lug around a laptop)

If I am being thick, and there is actually this Bold type functionality in the Q10, please let me know!

The Q has never had as good battery life as the 9900 (when the 9900's battery was new - I'd usually get a good 2 days of heavy-ish usage), and the 9900's battery was nowhere near as good as the 9700

Unfortunately there are still no native banking apps for the Q for my UK bank accounts (though they are still updating the legacy apps for the 9xxx's)

Having said all that, the Q10 is an overall excellent phone, with really good audio, and the best phone keyboard I have ever used (even better than the 9900 which was excellent). The Q10 also has a really good browser, which was not the case with the Bolds. Also the Q10 has 4G (LTE) which means that I don't need to carry a separate dongle (which saves me both hassle and money)

Hope this helps
    05-18-14 09:43 AM
    Thanks for the info. I have heard great things about the keyboard so I am excited for that. And there is no comparison between the OS7 browser and BB10.

Perhaps the Classic will allow for some of the old functionality back.

The 9900 battery was pretty impressive although I had to do a lot of battery resets as the phone had wind of its own when it came to turning off.

I don't use banking apps so I should be good there.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 10:22 AM
    Thanks for the info. I have heard great things about the keyboard so I am excited for that. And there is no comparison between the OS7 browser and BB10.

Perhaps the Classic will allow for some of the old functionality back.

The 9900 battery was pretty impressive although I had to do a lot of battery resets as the phone had wind of its own when it came to turning off.

I don't use banking apps so I should be good there.

Posted via CB10
    Those functions were OS/software functions, as far as i know the classic only brings back "old" hardware features, while still running BB10
    05-20-14 04:25 PM
    Posted via CB10
    Interesting. This is the first I've ever heard the 9900 described as having a good battery. I had a Sprint 9930 and I thought the battery was terrible. Was the 9900 much better than the 9930 in this regard? I never tried a 9900 but I've since dumped Sprint and might pick up a 9900 if it's any good...

Sent from my LG-P659 using Tapatalk
    davisgq likes this.
    05-20-14 07:06 PM
    I got a great deal on this Q10 on ebay. Brand new ATT for $225.00. Prefer it to my Z10 or my Z30 for day to day use, as it is more compact and can do pretty much everything they can. The Z10 is the phone that has been shelved in favor of this one. Use the Z30 for video, Kindle reader, listening to ballgames when at home but in a pinch or when away can get by on the Q10 at everything I normally do.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 08:09 PM
    The Q10 still doesn't have a lot of the productivity functionality that the Bolds had, eg
    • automatically move to next message after delete
    • Wi-Fi Calling / UMA (I always had this before with Orange UK)
    • decent Universal Search (the 9xxx's had excellent search functionality - I have to try multiple searches to find the right contacts in my Q10)
    • search for emails based on sender of current emails (on the Q you have to type into the search box within the Hub - on the 9900 it was one touch)
    • Highlight All -> Delete, or Highlight All -> Mark Read is another known bug on the Q
    • as good integration with my PlayBook (which I still use most days for viewing files, as it saves me from having to lug around a laptop)

If I am being thick, and there is actually this Bold type functionality in the Q10, please let me know!
    You're not being thick but some of these points are just your personal opinion; the reality is quite different as the Q10 is jam packed full of productivity functionality and only getting better.

Of the things you mention the "automatically move to next message after delete" would drive most of us insane in the hub and should only be implemented as a option. I can't imagine anyone who's on their phone as much as myself having to hit back after every single message deletion just to get back into hub view to continue to work. No, just no.

Wifi calling, just why would anyone need this in 2014? My LTE might be spotty in certain areas but cellular for calls is in every single corner and crevice imaginable. Perhaps you just need a carrier with better coverage? And then theirs a plethora of apps that achieve the equal functionality, such as BBM voice/video calls.

The universal search on BB10 is excellent, especially with the instant actions. If you can't find a contact the first time, you should try remembering something more specific about them, like at least their first name, last name or the name of the company they work for. Organizing your contacts is very important to achieve this.

You're complaining because you now have to swipe left to right, click "s" button and type the senders name or email address? Guarantee you you're still getting this done faster on the Q10 than the BBOS phones of old.

For highlight all delete/mark read you can filter messages in the hub, then long press the date and chose "mark all prior read" or "delete all prior".

I've never used a playbook at all, so I have no comment either way on this issue; but something tells me that BlackBerry Fuse will resolve whatever issues you have with BB10 and bridge.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 08:37 PM
    The universal search on BB10 is excellent, especially with the instant actions. If you can't find a contact the first time, you should try remembering something more specific about them, like at least their first name, last name or the name of the company they work for. Organizing your contacts is very important to achieve this.

For highlight all delete/mark read you can filter messages in the hub, then long press the date and chose "mark all prior read" or "delete all prior".

I've never used a playbook at all, so I have no comment either way on this issue; but something tells me that BlackBerry Fuse will resolve whatever issues you have with BB10 and bridge.

Posted via CB10
    in his defense

the universal search IS horrible, and i say this as a die hard blackberry fan. It doesnt hold a candle to the OS7 searches. BB10 is MUCH faster in many ways but the universal search is MUCH slower than OS7's ever was. In OS7 the results popped up instantly. it was always easier to just start typing the persons name and then hit send from the result. In BB10, youre better off going to your address book and scrolling through it because the search is so slow

Also

The mark prior read isnt reliable. There have been multiple times where ive done what you described only to come back an hour later and see they are still all unread. Other times it seems like it sits there and reads each individual email before marking it read. I can actually sit there and watch as it counts down from 60 or 100 to 0. On OS7 it was almost instant, no matter how many there were

I LOVE BB10 over OS7 for almost every single reason imaginable, but i do miss the way OS7 did alot of things
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    05-21-14 10:30 AM
    You're not being thick but some of these points are just your personal opinion; the reality is quite different as the Q10 is jam packed full of productivity functionality and only getting better.

Of the things you mention the "automatically move to next message after delete" would drive most of us insane in the hub and should only be implemented as a option. I can't imagine anyone who's on their phone as much as myself having to hit back after every single message deletion just to get back into hub view to continue to work. No, just no.

Wifi calling, just why would anyone need this in 2014? My LTE might be spotty in certain areas but cellular for calls is in every single corner and crevice imaginable. Perhaps you just need a carrier with better coverage? And then theirs a plethora of apps that achieve the equal functionality, such as BBM voice/video calls.

You're complaining because you now have to swipe left to right, click "s" button and type the senders name or email address? Guarantee you you're still getting this done faster on the Q10 than the BBOS phones of old.

Posted via CB10
    Hi Zero

Yes, what I posted is my personal opinion, but also it is fact. In my previous post I listed Productivity Functionality on the Bold that is still missing in OS10 (official release)

I can’t remember if there were settable options on the Bold for the "automatically move to next message after delete" function, but I would like the old Bold functionality back (I’m not the only one who does, as there have been a fair few posts on CB about this)

Universal search on OS10 is far less useful to me than it was on my previous Bolds, and sometimes it takes me multiple attempts to find a contact which is a waste of my time and very frustrating (again – I’m not the only one who feels this way, as there have been a fair few posts on CB about this too)

“You're complaining because you now have to swipe left to right, click "s" button and type the senders name or email address? Guarantee you you're still getting this done faster on the Q10 than the BBOS phones of old”it was one touch before, I think you’ll find that is quicker

“highlight all delete/mark read” still does NOT work in the Hub unless you have filtered first – this is a known bug (again – I’m not the only one who feels this way, as there have been a fair few posts on CB about this too)

“Wifi calling, just why would anyone need this in 2014?”
    I’m gob-smacked by the tone of your response to this. So I’ll give a short explanation (even though there are again, already multiple threads on CB about this).
    I travel a lot for business, and I need to be available (within reason) to receive (and make) calls with clients – a lot of this business travel is outside the UK but within Europe (higher charges to receive and make calls), and a fair bit of it is outside Europe (MUCH higher charges to receive and make calls).
    When I am abroad, a lot of the time I will be able to connect to Wi-Fi (office, hotel, business lounge, convention centre, coffee shop, etc) – with WiFi Calling (or the much better UMA/GAN before that) I then pay nothing extra for the calls I receive and make. My clients just want to call my usual number (if I am asleep or in a meeting they will get my VM) – I certainly can’t impose on them a Call App or similar (eg BBM, WhatsApp, Skype), or a different/foreign phone number - attempting that would lead to losing the clients. Costs for me to receive/make calls in the US/Asia are c. $1/minute (though you can get packages that reduce this cost – the packages usually cost c$15/day and never do anything more than halve the costs/minute). Even with Wi-Fi Calling, my phone bill will be at least $100/week more when I am in the US, without Wi-Fi Calling (and begging the ability to return the call at a convenient time – eg to use Skype) my phone bill will be many hundreds of dollars more for each week in the US or Asia.
    Also, having family and friends in very rural areas (UK and elsewhere) – I need Wi-Fi Calling to get a phone connection, as these areas have no/little signal....
    Hope that makes sense

Note: I have always assumed that I am the type of customer that BlackBerry have always focussed on – eg business user, travels a lot, usually receives more than 500 emails/day – this is why I am especially concerned that BlackBerry still hasn’t ported over this 'old Bold' functionality to the Q10

Again - if anybody knows if this productivity functionality IS now on the Q10 (and for some reason I am missing it), then please let me know!
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 05-21-14 at 04:03 PM.
    05-21-14 01:03 PM
    I am looking at purchasing a Q10 to use as my work phone for a couple of reasons:

1) I want to see how I would like going back to a physical keyboard.

2) I want to use my Z10 as a testing device, and Z30 will remain my personal device.

I am curious to hear feedback on the Q10 (running the latest OFFICIAL OS) vs Z10/Z30 and in addition I would like to hear it compared to older BB devices such as the the Bold. I seen a video from a year ago done by Kevin talking to the differences in adding speed dial numbers on the Q10 vs the Bold and the Q10 appears deficient in this area. The video is older and I was wondering if this like this have been addressed in the OS updates.

Any other updates to the flow and functionality that I should be aware of other than the generic BB 10 features?
    The Q10 is definitely a step up from the 9900/9930. I used a 9930 for several years and it never let me down, but now that I have a Q10, the 9930 is so inferior. Haha.

I don't really use the speed-dial function. (Phone? What's a phone? Haha.) All kidding aside, I can see people's point about the speed-dial option especially if you really DO use the phone a lot. I'm a texter/emailer myself The keyboard is phenomenal, though honestly, I loved the 9930's keyboard just a tad better than the Q10.

If you already have a Z30 then you are probably already familiar with OS 10.2.1. I use the typing search command on my Q10 a lot.
    05-21-14 02:29 PM