Dan Jones of the wireless news site Unstrung, has been told by clued-in analyst Carmi Levy that she expects a BlackBerry 9000 series with iPhone-like touchscreen functionality to be released in the first quarter of 2008.

Levy takes this as an indication that BlackBerry is diverging even more significantly from its once top-down, enterprise-specific roots.

�The 9000 is supposed to be a touch-screen device, very similar in form factor to the iPhone,� Levy tells Jones. �Which means that it is not an enterprise-friendly device.�

�The 9000 series will break from the traditional half-screen, half-keyboard look of the BlackBerry,� Jones writes. The handsets will also incorporate an upgraded multimedia system, along with the standard push email capabilities. Better MP3 and video capabilities are crucial if RIM is to take on Apple, Google, and others.�

Jones also cites Levy as saying that a BlackBerry Curve with WiFi, a higher-res camera, and GPS location tracking will also be released in the same general time frame.

Source: ZDNet UK, Nov. 21, 2007
    � Report: BlackBerry 9000 touchscreen models due by March | The BlackBerry Beat | ZDNet.com
    11-22-07 05:38 AM
    Don't think I would be intrested in a touch screen.
    This may intrest some people.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-07 05:47 AM
    Good news... Hope they will make some good software upgrades for navigation...
    11-22-07 05:58 AM
    Hopefully they solve the memory leak issue maybe even increase it to 128mb or 256mb. But a bb with a camera, wifi, and gps will be nice especially if verizon gets their head out of their... I mean the clouds
    11-22-07 06:19 AM
    Meh, they can keep the touchscreen crap...and I don't get where all these "analysts" get the perception RIM is competing or even trying to compete with Apple, their different devices in all aspects...Do I wanna see the media capabilities on BB extended...sure do...will it happen at the expense of RIMS tryed,tested and true devices...no way...while RIM may want to move more into the consumer market with media rich devices, they will never forget where they made their bread and butter either...any of these new "media rich, consumer" devices will still be BB, they will never be iPhones...nor are they trying to be.
    11-22-07 06:49 AM
    I just hope they will release a 3g curve with both wifi and gps. I personally don't care about a touchscreen in 9000 series as long as RIM can make an updated curve!

Charlie

11-22-07 06:55 AM
    TOUCH SCREENS?!?!?!?! UGH! WHY? Why would you do that to our BBs??? I really really really HATE touch screens! They are going to have to do some pretty amazing things for me to even think about getting a BB with touch screen!

Click
    11-22-07 07:57 AM
    I saw this article when it first came out... ZDnet sourced the original article at UnStrung - Unstrung - The Revolution Will Be Mobilized

And the "info" is coming from a financial analyst. And I'm pretty sure this analyst is just restating all of the old rumors/info published a few weeks back by BG and featured here. I don't think this guy actually has any new concrete info beyond what has been rumored before (full touch or half touch or whatever).... the Unstrung interview/article is written very "matter of fact", but I think it's still more a "matter of rumor".

I really want to see something factual... real leaked images from inside RIM, or a RIM insider on record saying exactly what this new 9000 series form factor will look like. I'm really curious to see what RIM has in store for 2008. It's going to be an exciting year.
    11-22-07 08:48 AM
    I wouldn't even go so far as to call them "rumors"...speculation at best.
    11-22-07 09:05 AM
    Agree with Click! This would have to be an AMAZING phone for me to even consider touchscreen!
    11-22-07 09:08 AM
    I can quite well imagine that in order to increase market share, RIM would wish to extend their range, launch several new models, and perhaps make more emphasis on the distinction between Blackberry models built/aimed for business use, and those orientated towards the consumer market.

There will always be a blur between the two markets, but clearly aesthetically pleasing/wow factor touch-screen Blackberrys, great email/IM capaibilties, cameras, advanced video & music players and customizable face-plates etc are where the consumer is at.

Business users will always welcome a little "fun" with their devices too - but never with a single percentage of compromise towards security, centralized management, connectivity options, ease of use, a full keyboard, reliability and great battery life.

These features and capabilities are sacred, and are essential for RIM's continued success against increasingly strong competition - and RIM knows that.
    Last edited by Berryman; 11-22-07 at 11:29 AM.
    11-22-07 11:17 AM
    Good news... Hope they will make some good software upgrades for navigation...
    It's really a good news...
    11-22-07 01:52 PM
    Yeah, I'm not all to excited about a full touch screen I really enjoy the feel of my keyboard

11-22-07 02:43 PM
    I agree, I am not interested in a touch screen either. Will stick w/ what I have for now...
    11-22-07 03:04 PM
    I'd rather have an older model than one with a touchscreen IMHO....I don't see the need to navigate towards that, but I can however see why it would excite and entice people to buy, if the touchscreen is something that you're interested in. I'll stick with what works. I don't see the need to go towards the touchscreen. But I can't fault RIM for trying new things. And as Kevin said, let's see something concrete before we jump the gun. But boy, it sure is fun to speculate!
    11-22-07 03:17 PM
    I just want to see photos! Who works for RIM here? Come on, I know one of you do...
    11-22-07 04:31 PM
    I would much rather stick my thumb up my **** and type with the other hand on my curve then use a touchscreen UGH! I would rather look like Richard Simmons and run around in leotards then use a touchscreen NOOO TOUCHSCREEN! STOP THE MADNESS LMAO
    11-22-07 04:41 PM
    I saw this article when it first came out... ZDnet sourced the original article at UnStrung - Unstrung - The Revolution Will Be Mobilized

And the "info" is coming from a financial analyst. And I'm pretty sure this analyst is just restating all of the old rumors/info published a few weeks back by BG and featured here. I don't think this guy actually has any new concrete info beyond what has been rumored before (full touch or half touch or whatever).... the Unstrung interview/article is written very "matter of fact", but I think it's still more a "matter of rumor".

I really want to see something factual... real leaked images from inside RIM, or a RIM insider on record saying exactly what this new 9000 series form factor will look like. I'm really curious to see what RIM has in store for 2008. It's going to be an exciting year.
    Right on Kevin.

As far as a touch screen is concerned, I prefer the tactile feeling one gets when using a 'real' keyboard.

- CB
    11-22-07 06:44 PM
    I second that, who around here really cares about touch screen. That was one reason I didn't go with the iphone. Rim stay away from the touch screen please
    11-22-07 06:50 PM
    I tried the HTC Touch Screen and had to give it up before my 30 days trial... nothing like a BlackBerry, I won't ever touch the iPhone. I'm just not feeling the touch.
    11-23-07 07:10 PM
    Someone squash this rumor please, even BGR is begging you all squash it, and he's the one who started it.
    11-23-07 07:28 PM
    I was pleasantly surprised the first time I typed on an iphone, but I still prefer the real keyboard. Really prefer the tactile response of rea keys.

11-24-07 06:53 PM
    Yes and NO, Love my Curve tho!
    11-25-07 07:34 AM
    I'm not sure how I feel about a bb touchscreen, I'm just getting comfy w/my trackball! Lol
    RIM sets the standards and others follow (@least that's what I see). I'm not sold on the fact that they would emulate apple.

11-25-07 10:40 AM
    I find it amazing all of the replies of no way to toucch screen I am in agreement. Back in the days, I has an HP200lx. This was ultimate PDA at time. I subscribed to now PocketPC maz All they talked about was not changing since pocketpc was new. It is funny now thae 200lx is dead and everyone at pocketpc used WM devices. All I am saying is if BB goes with a touch screen, within a year or two just about all of us will have one. having a full keyboard in a few years will probably be antiquated. Just a sign of changing times. Sure right now it is only speculation, but reality causes changes for us all. Those now who say they will not change will have a touchscrren BB or whatever new technology brings out. Just as long as it is a BB; it really don't matter. Nothing is guaranteed in Life except Change.
    11-25-07 11:39 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD