Well I have verizon and the kids have tmo so they can have their sidekicks but I tired of 2 bills and I dont like vzw rates compared to tmo. I cant go by what my kids say (9 and 12 yo). I live in phx,AZ but I mainly travel to the NYC area, LA area, San Diego area but I drive across the US at times as well. Will I be fine with getting tmo for myself. I dont trust coverage maps at all since I had an issue with vzw over the summer traveling south on 15 from Idaho to Utah. Coverage map showed coverage but no signal to phone. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
    11-11-08 11:16 AM
    I have had T-Mo for 3 years and haven't really had a problem with coverage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-11-08 11:23 AM
    I have been with TMO on and off for 4 out of the last 6 years... left them for Cingular (now AT&T) - big mistake... I looked at the coverage map that TMO puts out and have had no issues ever in the Twin Cities metro area... personally, I think TMO has the best coverage here... I'll be adding another 2 years to my contract very soon... where is that 8900!!!
    11-11-08 12:11 PM
    Verizon's rates are outrageous. You can get the same minutes, and THEN SOME, and still pay less at Tmobile. They have the best prices out there. go to the store... The reps there have a sheet of the competitors so you can see how Tmo ranks against the rest of them. You can't lose.
    11-11-08 12:31 PM
    I've been with Tmo for 8years and counting. And other than obviously dead areas in MA for any cell company. I have no complaints at all. They even helped me to save money by putting me on an unlimited anytime plan.. aka days ontop of the unlimited nights and texts. As well as my BB add-on obviously. So I've had one steady bill for the past 3 months. Can't complain at all.
    11-11-08 12:47 PM
    What's nice about T-Mobile is you don't get billed differently every month. As long as you stay within your plan guidelines you are good to go.

As for coverage, I have been with them for more than 10 years and currently live in Scottsdale, AZ and have not had any problems. As for travelling cross country, if you are driving, then yes I believe there may be areas of no service at all. Check their coverage map on their website it's pretty detailed down to the exact street anywhere in the country.

They have the best customer service known to mankind in my opinion. Only thing is their phone line up, they are always months or years behind everyone else on the latest high tech phones.
    11-11-08 01:19 PM
    I live in South Florida and joined T-Mobile last December at the recommendation of a friend. I am glad I listened to him. I signed up for the 300 mins myFavs plan, 400 text msgs, unlimited data plan and HotSpot@home (make WiFi calls). With all taxes my bill is $84.08 every month. It has never deviated one cent. I use my phone all the time. I even canceled my Vonage phone I had at home. I use anywhere between 1000-1500 mins a month. I have WiFi at home and even set it up at work. I am no longer chained to my desk or have to carry a cordless phone in my pocket. I find myself calling customers, vendors and co-workers all the time from my Curve. And their customer service and tech support (24/7) are by far the best I have ever encountered. All of my family lives in NY and when I was up there in January I had some service issues but when I went back in August they were considerably less. And now that T-Mobile is 3G all I need is a 3G BlackBerry.
    Last edited by TheBronx; 11-11-08 at 03:24 PM.
    11-11-08 03:20 PM
    T-Mo like every other carrier will have dead spots. I live abouy 30 mins outside of NYC and have very few dead spots. There are actually less now that I upgraded to 4.5. Not sure how the OS helped, but now I can talk right thru 2 spos that used to be dead to me before the upgrade. T-Mo does have the best $ for $ rates on the market, and I have not had any issues with cust. service.

11-11-08 03:57 PM
    I too have had Tmo for almost 4 years... I believe I am going to stick with them for a looooong time to come.
    When I was shopping around for my bb, sure ATT and cheaper phones, but the plans were outrageously priced. I simply waited until the gold Curve 8320 was discontinued for the Sunset curve, and got a great deal on it, along with renewing my plan. (my plan had expired many months before, I was just waiting for money to upgrade my phone... obviously a personal issue, not related to the carrier...lol)

I had ATT many years ago, my first cell phone actually, and ran the bill up astronomically high. Tried out Cricket... BLEH!

I recommend Tmo, definitely. (Side note: I live in Mesa, and work at the PHX/Tempe border near the airport... occasionally I'll drop a call, but that's usually in my apt, so go figure. I think there is lead in the walls. heheh)
    11-11-08 04:06 PM
    I've been with T-mobile for 8 years now and I don't plan on leaving anytime soon. The customer service is great, I rarely loose calls and their data plan is decent. No 3G yet but for $20, I'm not complaining. I've only been with one other carrier AT&T which, IMO is at the bottom of the list and I can't say anything about the others.

I guess the only drawback I can think of is tmo's choice of phones and mobile devices. I happen to luck out with mine.

Good luck with your decision.
    11-11-08 04:12 PM
    TMO has smaller coverage area than VZ and ATT. Forget about 3G if you want fast data network, tmo just started rolling its 3G and has very limited 3G coverage. You should check out the new Quickfire phone from at&t, it's a SIDEKICK like phone but better than the current ones from tmo.
    11-11-08 04:33 PM
    I've been with T-Mobile for over a year and don't really have any complaints.

I live in NYC and coverage is pretty good almost everywhere in the city. I'm also in Syracuse, NY in college and coverage is great here as well.

The best thing is that TMO has very cheap rates so you can get a lot of features and won't have a big bill. You can get the basic plan, unlimited data and SMS and after taxes the total is gonna be like $70, which is like $15 cheaper than ATT or VZ would be.

The phones aren't that bad either. Yea 3G just came out on T-Mobile, but if you're in big cities you shouldn't have that big of a problem with coverage.
    11-12-08 12:25 PM
    Look at the maps, T MO usually has most of the interstates covered but not much off of the interstates in rural areas. Coverage may not always include data due to roaming. You would save but will you have a problem with coverage while travelling?
    11-12-08 03:47 PM
    Either way you can test out the service for 14 or 30 days depending on where you live. I love them but the only thing I hate is the poor selection of phones! Give them a shot.
    11-13-08 12:51 AM
    If you want the discounted prices of Tmobile but also want coverage of a larger carrier, combining tmobile with a prepay CDMA phone is a good combination. You can set your Tmo phone to forward if not available. I've done this with Tmo and it worked great.

Verizons payasyougo (Inpulse) would be a good combination with Tmobile.

Tmobile is a great carrier, but they do not cater to rural areas.
    11-28-08 03:01 PM
    I have been with TMO for over 2 years now and there are great. I have had AT&T and Verizon and Nextel and none of them were even close when it came to price and service. I called there service dept about getting an unlocked phone and was told "no problem, when I get the phone that I want just call them back and they would help me set it up for use with tmo network."
    11-28-08 03:20 PM
    I live in NYC. TM has a lot of dead and weak signal spots due to big building. Mostly I can get EDGE.

The price is right 'cause BB TM is only $20 for unlimited email and Internet. I travel all over the US and never had a problem with TM service outage in metro areas and near interstates. Small villages serviced by one other company do have outages...but this is a fact of life.
    11-28-08 04:12 PM
    I've had Sprint, Verizon, Cingular and Tmo has to be the best.

The Customer Service is outstanding and for that reason alone I'll never switch again...

Sometimes your loyalty pays off.
    11-28-08 05:06 PM
    I've had AT&T, Verizon, Nextel and T-Mobile is by far the best on price and service. Customer service is by far the friendliest and most helpful ive ever encountered.
    11-28-08 09:09 PM
    I've only had AT&T (whatever you want to call them) and T-Mobile. AT&T was never awful, but their plans suck as far as pricing goes and although they have good call coverage, data coverage sucks in my area (Atlanta).

T-Mobile I have never had dropped calls, but more importantly where I or others would have the inability to connect to internet PERIOD with AT&T I can easily do so with T-Mobile. Now some of that is phone-dependent but much is also the coverage of the data networks.

PLUS I was never able to determine if I could UMA with AT&T, but with TMO it is a cinch (so you can save big bucks on calling plan).

Finally, TMO allows you to have much more flexibility in your bill Online than AT&T does.
    11-29-08 12:55 PM
    I love tmobile and I agree with them having the best customer service. I never wait on hold long and they always end the call by saying thank you for being a loyal tmobile customer since 2003. I have noticed a vast improvement in their network since then. They are always trying to improve and send emails of new towers added to your area.

12-04-08 10:38 PM
    same here. i love TMO. their customer service is great. i was with them for a year before, but changed carrier when my contract expired because of ocean for helio. it was a mistake. i am now back with tmobile. i was with nextel (before sprint merged) and att also but didn't like their prices. att reps were great but nextel were bleh.
    12-06-08 01:46 AM
    It seems that the consensus is that those of us who use t-mo stay for a long time and that we all love the customer service.
    12-06-08 01:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD