All my files, videos and pictures were deleted and those directories have this morning's date.
    I had previously limited permissions to my files to most of the apps but I still had to leave access to my files to the file manager apps, the text editor apps, the sftp and telnet apps. Origami also had access to my files but I have now denied it.
    Going through the apps permissions again today, after the fact, I discovered that some of the apps (ghost commander is just one of them) do not even show up on the list of apps for which you can set permissions.

Anyone else has had this happened to them?

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 08:34 PM
    Do you not have your wifi password protected?

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    05-14-14 08:36 PM
    Of course I do. But the routers all have back doors. As you know, there is a trial going on in Canada with Rogers and Bell about this.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 08:44 PM
    That will happen if you put your Playbook into demo mode- you didn't do this, did you? Otherwise, I doubt that your Playbook was hacked, although, as Rebroker suggested, your network might have been.
    05-14-14 08:49 PM
    No. It has never been in development mode and I checked that again now.

I switched from Rogers to Bell recently because the new Cisco modem from Rogers asked me to agree that my files could end up on a US server.
    Obviously, Bell does similar things but at least they did not ask me to consent to my connection being monitored and that my files may end up in US...If they do it, they do it illegally.
    However, this is speculation, the hacking can happen because most of the sftp, telnet and file manager apps come from some obscure companies, some of them with Russian and Bulgarian names, and you have to give them access to your files if you want to use them.
    This is the problem with apps. I know someone at IBM who has no app on his Galaxy iV precisely for that reason. He just uses it as a stupid phone...That's likely what I'll have to do with my tablet and Z30, too.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 08:58 PM
    I had someone access my router once (a neighbour with computer knowledge) and I just changed my pw to something very long and he couldn't get in. He thankfully moved away a few months ago and now I am putting up with a physiology major

05-14-14 09:10 PM
    So if my network was hacked and my PlayBook is password protected, why would the PlayBook be vulnerable if I only had it on but not using it? It was connected for charging.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 09:11 PM
    One caveat here. Bell in their wisdom, sends and stores your passwords in clear...

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 09:13 PM
    So if my network was hacked and my PlayBook is password protected, why would the PlayBook be vulnerable if I only had it on but not using it? It was connected for charging.
    If the Playbook was on, even if it's password protected, anyone who hacks into your network can still access your Playbook's files if you haven't set a password for wifi file sharing. This is seperate and distinct from the Playbook's password.
    05-14-14 09:19 PM
    I do have a wifi password and I get asked for it whenever I connect the phone or laptop. Same goes for bluetooth. I am paranoid about security. That's why I only use blackberry and Linux but even Linux is unsafe now.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 09:25 PM
    And nobody else has physical access to your Playbook?
    05-14-14 09:31 PM
    Nope

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 09:36 PM
    You didn't answer pacoman03's question: "That will happen if you put your Playbook into demo mode- you didn't do this, did you?"
    05-14-14 09:47 PM
    He said no to development mode, not to demo mode (not the same thing). I'm guessing the answer is "no", though, since you need the demo mode password to do this (a third password for the playbook) and this password is not widely known.
    05-14-14 10:02 PM
    I have already answered that I did not.

I have just realized now something that I did not know but happens identically on the PlayBook and on Z30.

I had the PlayBook in airplane mode but somehow the wifi was on. I have verified that you can turn on wifi while the airplane mode is still on. This is also true on Z30!

This makes some sense because some planes now have internet connection through wifi.
    I was on one two nights ago but I did not have my tablet on!

You cannot turn cellar radio on while in Airplane mode but not the wifi radio...good to know but this shows that whoever hacked me turned the wifi on even though the tablet was in Airplane mode.

Having said all that, it is true that my wifi file sharing password was the same as the PlayBook password. I changed all of those now to be different but this is getting pretty paranoid even for me.
    At least it is good that I never access my bank account from my Z30 or Playbook.

Hopefully, it was the NSA who hacked me because I did have some sensitive files on my tablet!

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 10:07 PM
    Oops. I did not know there was a demo mode. Where is that. I could only find and check the development mode setting. It is off but there is an IP address there in the field below: 169.254.0.1

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 10:10 PM
    Actually, you didn't. You said that your Playbook has never been in development mode. You didn't say anything about demo mode. They're not the same. As to wifi in Airplane mode, putting your Playbook into airplane mode automatically turns of wifi. Now, you can go into settings and turn wifi back on while still remaining in airplane mode, but, generally speaking, why would you do this?

edit- OK. You beat me to the punch. Demo Mode is in settings/General.
    05-14-14 10:21 PM
    Sorry. I checked that now. It is NOT in demo mode

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 10:22 PM

I have just realized now something that I did not know but happens identically on the PlayBook and on Z30.

I had the PlayBook in airplane mode but somehow the wifi was on. I have verified that you can turn on wifi while the airplane mode is still on. This is also true on Z30!

This makes some sense because some planes now have internet connection through wifi.
    I was on one two nights ago but I did not have my tablet on!

You cannot turn cellar radio on while in Airplane mode but not the wifi radio...good to know but this shows that whoever hacked me turned the wifi on even though the tablet was in Airplane mode.

Having said all that, it is true that my wifi file sharing password was the same as the PlayBook password. I changed all of those now to be different but this is getting pretty paranoid even for me.
    At least it is good that I never access my bank account from my Z30 or Playbook.

Hopefully, it was the NSA who hacked me because I did have some sensitive files on my tablet!

Posted via CB10
    Does not compute...

Airplane mode turns off all radios. To turn on any one radio after it has been turned off requires physical manipulation.
    05-14-14 10:33 PM
    About the Airplane mode, I thought exactly as you. Why would you turn wifi on when you are in airplane mode? For the first time I was on a flight that allowed you to connect to the Internet whole in the air by turning wifi on. I did not!
    I have never done it but this is exactly the state my tablet was on when I started this thread and I did not turn wifi on. I had left the tablet in airplane mode when I was travelling until last night. I connected it to the charger when I got home but did not otherwise use it until this evening when I noticed that my files were wiped.

Again, nobody answered my question about why the file manager apps (ghost commander) and OpenOffice reader do not show up in the permission list for apps.
    I also found out that one of the epub reader apps does not allow you to change its settings..It has access to the camera and video files. Why. I have just deleted it but that was after the fact.

Can you turn off access to the files for a file manager or sftp app? If you do, is it going to ask you to turn it on every time you access/ftp a file? It would be useless.

What about the Kobo book reader app?. It does have access to both my PlayBook and Z30 files and synchronizes the book between the two devices. I had just complained to Kobo two days ago that they sent me too many promotion emails and that it was bad enough that they spy on what I was reading even though I paid them to by a book not for them to spy on me. Maybe they wanted to prove a point. My books are still there!

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 10:35 PM
    I had someone access my router once (a neighbour with computer knowledge) and I just changed my pw to something very long and he couldn't get in. He thankfully moved away a few months ago and now I am putting up with a physiology major

My neighbour did the same to leach off my internet. He didn't work and was stuck at home due to some sort of injury. I guess he didn't expect me to check the client list on my modem. I booted him too only because I had no sympathy for him for a number of reasons. He moved too. He still rents out the house though.
    05-14-14 10:43 PM
    This is for Eddy_berry.
    It does compute because the sensitive files were with results from a Darpa funded research project ;-)

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 10:44 PM
    You can't access the permissions of those apps because they are Android ports. Android ports do not give you choice over which permission you want to give them. You either accept all or don't use the app.
    05-14-14 10:45 PM
    This is for Eddy_berry.
    It does compute because the sensitive files were with results from a Darpa funded research project ;-)

Posted via CB10
    That sort of makes sense now, but would also mean the most likely people to want to hack you is your competition to steal your ideas and not another government agency.
    05-14-14 10:47 PM
    I guess so. Had I known that two years ago when I downloaded them from.the blackberry world site, I would not have done it.
    That's why I do not have android apps on.my devices,except like in this case, unintentionally. They should not be in BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 10:48 PM
62 123