One of my few good friends still rocking a BlackBerry lost his Q10 in a NYC cab. Despite all attempts, he was unable to find it and recover it.

He's with T-Mobile, and called their insurance provider to get a replacement (after forking out a $150 deductible). He messaged me last night and told me that he was furious because they told them they could not give him a Q10. That BlackBerry had stopped manufacturing them. Instead they offered him a Z10 (which he tried upon launch and still preferred the keyboard), or a variety of Samsung Galaxy devices.

He refused, stating he pays for insurance to replace "with same or equivalent", and since the Q10 is clearly a physical keyboard device... none of the options fit the bill. He's still going back and forth but still no luck. I tried to convince him to take the galaxy, sell it, and buy a Q10 on ebay, but he's just not into selling stuff online.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and what has been done to resolve it? Isn't T-Mobile supposed to keep supporting the Q10? If he wasn't such a hardcore physical keyboard user BlackBerry would have easily m lost yet another user to Samsung, I can't imagine the average consumer would put up too much of a fight.

I've always considered insurance (other than liability) to be a scam, but... this is just ridiculous.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-13-14 01:57 PM
    i would take a S5 if they will give it to him and he easily swap it for a Q10 or get some cash and get one
    05-13-14 02:07 PM
    Insurance is a scam.....

Hope his sticks to his guns and gets the device he wants. As I don't think there are any average consumers buying BlackBerry's I don't think this bait and switch tactic is an issue.
    Mr4aces and MobileMadness002 like this.
    05-13-14 02:11 PM
    i would take a S5 if they will give it to him and he easily swap it for a Q10 or get some cash and get one
    That's what I told him, even offered to try to sell it for him, but I think it's mostly a matter of principle for him... he's been paying premiums, it should just work.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-13-14 02:27 PM
    I agree stand fast. I don't buy insurance either. Even though my wife likes to take the phone in the pool. I rather just buy another one.
    05-13-14 02:35 PM
    Is this Assurion? If so, good luck.
    05-13-14 02:43 PM
    T-Mobile lost their authorization to sell BlackBerry product at the end of April.

Might have something to do with it, though still not right.
    05-13-14 02:45 PM
    Just a quick update to the story:

My friend called T-Mobile and let them have it. They agreed to give him a new Q10 and basically file the insurance claim for him.

Not ideal, but at least T-Mobile picked up the slack.

Posted via CB10
    Omnitech and Doggerz like this.
    05-14-14 08:36 AM
    wow. in the uk Orange would have a new phone at my doorstep the next day. if its lost/stolen it takes 2 days at most but if its damaged definitely the next day if i report before close of business.
    05-14-14 02:49 PM
    I positively abhor insurance companies. They always end up out of stock or they send you a referb that isn't 100% functional.

I've been working in the cellphone industry about 5 years. Insurance is a racket.

Glad T-Mobile is doing right by him though.

Sent from the Berry via Tapatalk.
    05-14-14 03:02 PM
    why is there such a huge difference between the uk and us markets in terms of insurance? anyone know?
    05-14-14 03:09 PM
    why is there such a huge difference between the uk and us markets in terms of insurance? anyone know?
    Just like with warranties, we seem to get the short end of the stick. Though, Are the deductibles high there or low?
    05-14-14 05:25 PM
    Just a FYI, all insurance companies give you refurbs.

The only exception I have seen is a particular Apple switch repair where you get a loaner phone and then your repaired back. But the Apple switches were so crappy that it was an embarrassment.

Generally Apple warranty replacement are refurbs.

TMobile has a number of Z10s and I presume Q10 for warranty purposes. I assume these are refurbs. Mine was shrink wrapped around some cardboard, and it had no back or battery.

I don't know if they have phones on hand with with the backs and batteries

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 11:52 PM
    Problem 1: paying for and believing in insurance

I would just get the most expensive one they offer, sell it and buy new unlocked Q10 for $300.
    05-16-14 12:19 AM
    Sounds like they will only listen to a lawsuit.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 12:29 AM
    I have always said the insurance for a cell phone provided by these carriers are a scam. High deductibles and lately you almost have the threaten them to get a replacement device.

As far as refurbs go, I have no problem with them as long as they work properly. Remember that once you use your device it's not longer considered new, so why should they have to provide you with a new device when it breaks.

As far as warranty goes, Apple is the best in the business. You make an appointment at the genius bar, a tech looks at the device and if it needs to be replaced, they give me another one right there on the spot.

That's why they have the highest resale value of any device on the market. Blackberry should be taking notes and making their costumer service and warranty better instead of pushing it back onto the carriers.

Sent using the CB Forum app
    kbz1960 and Atmarix like this.
    05-17-14 04:40 AM
    I have had insurance on my Blackberrys with T-mobile for years and used it MANY times. Including once for the double typing keyboard issue on my Q10. Admittedly, I have never had a lost or destroyed handset, just mechanical faults, but t-mo has always cheerfully replaced them free and fast under warranty. I have wondered whether anything would change now, but as long as I continue to pay, I continue to expect them to honor their commitment to me!
    05-17-14 07:57 AM
    I have always said the insurance for a cell phone provided by these carriers are a scam. High deductibles and lately you almost have the threaten them to get a replacement device.

As far as refurbs go, I have no problem with them as long as they work properly. Remember that once you use your device it's not longer considered new, so why should they have to provide you with a new device when it breaks.

As far as warranty goes, Apple is the best in the business. You make an appointment at the genius bar, a tech looks at the device and if it needs to be replaced, they give me another one right there on the spot.

That's why they have the highest resale value of any device on the market. Blackberry should be taking notes and making their costumer service and warranty better instead of pushing it back onto the carriers.

Sent using the CB Forum app
    I agree. You have to pay 8-10 bucks extra on your bill so when you lose your phone you have to pay an extra 125-175 to get another one, in less words you're not being covered, just paying half of your phone if lost IN CASE you lose it or get it stolen....

I very much agree on BlackBerry taking notes on device replacements. Now that some carries make it hard for us to carry BlackBerry phones, how are we going to deal with broken/lost/stolen phones ?

From my lovely Z30
    05-17-14 08:14 AM
    One of my few good friends still rocking a BlackBerry lost his Q10 in a NYC cab. Despite all attempts, he was unable to find it and recover it.

He's with T-Mobile, and called their insurance provider to get a replacement (after forking out a $150 deductible). He messaged me last night and told me that he was furious because they told them they could not give him a Q10. That BlackBerry had stopped manufacturing them. Instead they offered him a Z10 (which he tried upon launch and still preferred the keyboard), or a variety of Samsung Galaxy devices.

He refused, stating he pays for insurance to replace "with same or equivalent", and since the Q10 is clearly a physical keyboard device... none of the options fit the bill. He's still going back and forth but still no luck. I tried to convince him to take the galaxy, sell it, and buy a Q10 on ebay, but he's just not into selling stuff online.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and what has been done to resolve it? Isn't T-Mobile supposed to keep supporting the Q10? If he wasn't such a hardcore physical keyboard user BlackBerry would have easily m lost yet another user to Samsung, I can't imagine the average consumer would put up too much of a fight.

I've always considered insurance (other than liability) to be a scam, but... this is just ridiculous.

Posted via CB10
    Why are you posting this and not him? Let's cut out the middle man.

Posted via CB10 on 10.2.1.3139
    06-09-14 01:56 AM
    Cell phone insurance is just a scam. It costs too much and the deductibles are too high. Non the less they should replace the Q10 with a Q10. Its funny they can't get one when i can buy one directly from Blackberry without issue. That sounds like tmo is just trying to push him to a samsung and off BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 06:41 PM
    Well, ever since Tmobile tried to get BlackBerry users to abandon their devices and we're subsequently fired by BlackBerry it has pretty much been a dead carrier for BlackBerry types. Now that it's being sold to sprint, it is pretty much a dead network for everyone else.

Posted via CB10
    bruce73 likes this.
    06-10-14 06:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    Hi AnimalPak200!

Does your friend have Asurion Insurance? If so, please ask him to email us at [email protected]. We will see what options are available to get him up and running again.

Thanks!

Asurion Social Media Team
    @AsurionCares
    Welcome to Phoneclaim.com.
    06-11-14 12:10 PM
    How can they no longer be available and Shop BlackBerry is selling them?

Response crafted in seconds on a Z30
    06-11-14 12:11 PM
    How can they no longer be available and Shop BlackBerry is selling them?
    Simple. The insurance contractor may be out of refurbished (remember, that's what they give you) -5 Q10s. You can't exactly refurb an AT&T Q10 (-1,) or a Sprint/Verizon Q10 (-2/-4) and give them to TMO customers. And since TMO isn't buying new stock of Q10s, there aren't any to send to insurance for refurbishment.
    06-11-14 12:33 PM
    Simple. The insurance contractor may be out of refurbished (remember, that's what they give you) -5 Q10s. You can't exactly refurb an AT&T Q10 (-1,) or a Sprint/Verizon Q10 (-2/-4) and give them to TMO customers. And since TMO isn't buying new stock of Q10s, there aren't any to send to insurance for refurbishment.
    No that's not true. You MAY receive a refurbished phone. Every carrier has a clause that states it may choose to repair or replace phone under warranty. If you submit warranty claim and they were in fact not supporting BlackBerry, a carrier would send you a phone that it deems similar.

T-Mobile supports both the Z10 and Q10.

Poetry in Motion
    06-20-14 01:13 PM
28 12