Can someone explain to me the rationale behind just having letters on the
    new Windermere keyboard, and not symbols too?
    05-12-14 07:56 AM
    To make its footprint as small as possible and maximize the size of the device's screen!
    05-12-14 08:15 AM
    Just curious, OP have seen the actual keyboard on the "Windermere"?. Or have you seen the phone?
    If not, is it safe to assume things?
    05-12-14 08:40 AM
    All I have seen are the photos that came out a while back. There has been quite a bit of discussion of the uniqueness of the keyboard, not only with respect to the new keyboard design, but also that there's a software component that's different too. That the keyboard will somehow be gesture-based, whatever that means.

BlackBerry Windermere Could Feature Gesture-based Keyboard [Rumor]

Every image I have seen of the Windermere has had 3 rows of keys, rather than 4, and letters without the corresponding symbols. (Personally, I want the symbols.)

Just curious, OP have seen the actual keyboard on the "Windermere"?. Or have you seen the phone?
    If not, is it safe to assume things?
    taylorjay269 likes this.
    05-12-14 09:27 AM
    I don't understand this either unless their is a display under the keyboard so it can change what is shown.

Nothing else seems to make sense.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-14 03:14 PM
    My concern is that the intent is to rely on a virtual keyboard for all numbers and symbols, which sort of defeats the purpose of having a real physical keyboard. If I wanted to use the screen for typing, then I'd go ahead and buy a Z30.
    05-12-14 03:54 PM
    @tim herd. I agree with you....symbols will be on a virtual keyboard. I think BlackBerry can pull this off. They own the keyboard market and this will be something different.

I trust BlackBerry...especially under JC leadership to get this right.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 04:14 AM
    Can someone explain to me the rationale behind just having letters on the
    new Windermere keyboard, and not symbols too?
    To introduce a "snazzy" gimmicky feature so people will go "oh look, that's cool!"
    05-16-14 03:48 AM
    My concern is that the intent is to rely on a virtual keyboard for all numbers and symbols, which sort of defeats the purpose of having a real physical keyboard. If I wanted to use the screen for typing, then I'd go ahead and buy a Z30.
    Yep, exactly what I've been saying about that 3-row keyboard. It saves space, but that's about all it does. Everything else about it makes it slower and less efficient to use... Oh well. We all know gimmicks sell, so hopefully this helps BB sell phones. I just hope this won't be the new norm. Because if all future BB's come with this kind of keyboard, I'll just switch to all-touch, and if that's the case, then I'll be switching to Android...
    05-16-14 03:51 AM
    05-12-2014, 03:14 PM... could be correct. I see this happening. If you recall a Patent was issued to Blackberry for just that recently.
    05-16-14 12:50 PM
    I loved the classic physical keyboard and I also live the virtual keyboard on my z10. I won't judge the new keyboard until I've tried it myself, it could bring the best of both worlds.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 01:55 PM
    What I don't get:

Going from 4 to 3 rows really saves some space... I have no idea how symbols and numbers are going to work, we will see...

My first idea was: Great - that space will be used for a 4:3 portrait screen...

4:3 landscape - tool belt = 1:1
    1:1 quadratic - row of keys = 4:3 portrait

So, why does the Windermere have a 1:1 screen - I don't get it...
    koebi90 likes this.
    05-16-14 02:40 PM
    I loved the classic physical keyboard and I also live the virtual keyboard on my z10. I won't judge the new keyboard until I've tried it myself, it could bring the best of both worlds.

Posted via CB10
    What part of the virtual keyboard do you love? The word prediction? Or do you actually like having to swipe before you even see the symbols? Because that's the only aspect of the virtual keyboard that it's bringing...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    05-16-14 02:41 PM
    What part of the virtual keyboard do you love? The word prediction? Or do you actually like having to swipe before you even see the symbols? Because that's the only aspect of the virtual keyboard that it's bringing...

I love the word prediction obviously, swiping left to delete a word and I do like the swiping to reveal symbols, numbers, etc as I've grown used to it.
    Also the new windermere keyboard will support all of the following gestures not just the 'swiping down to see symbols' like you've stated.

Tap
    Swipe down
    Swipe up (validates word)
    Swipe left (deletes word)
    Swipe right
    Touch up
    Touch down
    Touch + move

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 03:25 PM
    I love the word prediction obviously, swiping left to delete a word and I do like the swiping to reveal symbols, numbers, etc as I've grown used to it.
    Also the new windermere keyboard will support all of the following gestures not just the 'swiping down to see symbols' like you've stated.

Tap
    Swipe down
    Swipe up (validates word)
    Swipe left (deletes word)
    Swipe right
    Touch up
    Touch down
    Touch + move

Posted via CB10
    Just curious, but how is requiring a swipe to see symbols faster than having the symbols already printed on the keyboard?

Tim Heard likes this.
    05-16-14 03:45 PM
    Just curious, but how is requiring a swipe to see symbols faster than having the symbols already printed on the keyboard?

We're talking about maybe a half of a second difference. BlackBerry are trying out something new and it could work or it could not, I'm gonna give it a try before making a complete judgement.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 04:09 PM
    We're talking about maybe a half of a second difference. BlackBerry are trying out something new and it could work or it could not, I'm gonna give it a try before making a complete judgement.

Posted via CB10
    It's not just the time to swipe, but the time to then look for the symbol. Factor in normal human reaction time, you're talking upwards of a few second PER symbol needed. So if you're typing a lot with a lot of symbols, capital letters, and other things, it can get quite annoying very fast. Also, the key placement won't be what you're used to now that the the space bar is about the size of 1.5 keys and is crammed between the V and B on the bottom row. So most of us types using muscle memory, unless you're a really slow typist. So we know by feel and muscle memory where all of the keys are in relation to the other keys. Now the bottom row is shifted so the Z is under the A instead of under and to the right, the V is under the F instead of G like we're used to, etc... And yes, you COULD get used to it, but given that the keyboard you have at home on your PC will not have this configuration getting used to this new keyboard means screwing you up on your PC... I like to keep the keyboard layout the same for everything so there's no transition from one to the other.

That's just me, if you're ok with all of these things, then great for you, you will be getting your ultimate device sometime this year. :-)

I am hoping they will make one I would like too. *fingers crossed*

Tim Heard likes this.
    05-16-14 04:25 PM
    Typing on a PC keyboard and a mobile keyboard (physical/virtual) is not the same unless you're a hunt and peck-er.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 04:41 PM
    Typing on a PC keyboard and a mobile keyboard (physical/virtual) is not the same unless you're a hunt and peck-er.

Posted via CB10
    Uh, quite the opposite... if you're a "hunt and ******" then nothing you change will matter since you look for each individual key. Working off muscle memory, which is what I do, which means I don't look at the keyboard while I'm typing, that's when it matters when you change up the layout...

There's another activity which I do where muscle memory is very important, and it's the same there. You try to make the controls from one to another as similar as possible so your muscle memory will know how to operate the different systems without any addition thought or hesitation... If you don't care about speed and can slow down and think about every movement, then it won't matter if one system varies from the next.

Mr4aces likes this.
    05-16-14 04:52 PM
    I'm looking forward to the Windermere keyboard. I personally think it will bridge the gap between physical and virtual, and from personal experience I thought I would hate typing on a virtual keyboard and I would be slow @ it but to my surprise I type faster and more accurately on my virtual keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 05:02 PM
    I have also heard from my buddy at blackberry that the keyboard can also be used like a track pad. It is touch sensitive after all. This feature excites me and is the only thing that might get me to buy the q30. Just kidding I'm totally buying the q30 regardless lol.

Posted via my Z30
    05-17-14 12:35 AM

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. No one has seen a finished or not even close to finished product in use. Let's get the full details first at least. A Lot of the same negativity was being said about a non track pad OS experience before the launch of BB10.

Posted via Z30
    05-18-14 02:33 PM
    Exactly. No one has seen a finished or not even close to finished product in use. Let's get the full details first at least. A Lot of the same negativity was being said about a non track pad OS experience before the launch of BB10.

Posted via Z30
    And ironically, continued after the launch, lol. :-D

Bbnivende likes this.
    05-18-14 03:24 PM

Posted via Z30
    Speak for yourself

Posted via my Z30
    05-19-14 08:56 PM
    Who says you will need a swipe though, we have already seen in the full-touch devices that they can pop up an additional row of numbers on certain text fields, so who is to say that on this device we won't see one row of numbers and one row of symbols pop up on the screen, for those symbols in that row it would be quicker than a q10 and for those not in that row it would be a little slower so things should average out slightly in favour of this new keyboard for most people.
    05-20-14 02:35 AM
84 123 ...