Hello,
    I've been using for three years a bold9780 and then I decided to change with a nexus 4, which I broke last month.

I've been struggling trying to decide which device to pick up, wondering between z10, q10, z30 or z1 compact, HTC one m7 or s4.

Overall I'm happy with my choice, but I still have some doubts. First of all, while I find incredible the form factor which lets you use easily such a great display, I still find the device quite big and mostly very very heavy, specially compared to other phones. It is not a problem when carrying the z30 in my pocket but when using it for long typing or in the gym or running outdoor it is definitely uncomfortable.

Due to this, I was wondering if it might be a good idea switching to a z10 or Q10, but here we go with the cons (aka, things that I love about my z30):

- I don't really use my smartphone for great media activity, just silly videos on YouTube, some Facebook, crap pictures via whatsapp and snapchat. Most of the time I'm listening to music and web browsing. That said, I love the amoled display and the fact that using black wallpapers and themes helps saving battery.

- Battery is a nice plus, but since I'm a medicine student I'm most of the time studying or working in the hospital, so it's not a big problem to find a plug to get some juice during the day.

- I'm very happy with the speed of the system, but I find that the z30 slows down a lot when using Android app, for example loading Spotify, and I wonder what would happen using z10's slower cpu. Is there a big difference among the two? (and any of you knows if a Spotify bb10 app is coming soon or late?)

More than this, I still miss some of the features of my old 9780, one of those is the automatic switch off/on of the device which was seriously super. Instead of that now I've to use Bedside Mode, which is cool but still uses some power (around 10% per night). The only real function I find for this is that thanks to that I don't have to reboot the device every morning (which would take sooo long as you know). I wonder if anyone here has found different uses for the mode.

Eventually, I love the new remember app and the calendar, of course the Hub is superb and using bb10 makes all the other os looking really old.

The trade-off between losing the physical keyboard and having a bigger screen it's ok although I'm not still so sure about that, and is the reason why I'm considering Q10 also.

Last thing is: I find the display perfect, and I usually set 0% brightness to save battery since is always very very readable, even under the sun, tough I'm not sure about the sensor and in fact I wonder if there's a way to check if it's working properly or not.

So, in the end, what is your advise?

I hope I was clear and that someone else had the same doubts, so that you'll share your thoughts about all this!

Posted via CB10
    05-11-14 03:15 PM
    What a long post! Ok... Let's see...

- I don't really use my smartphone for great media activity, just silly videos on YouTube, some Facebook, crap pictures via whatsapp and snapchat. Most of the time I'm listening to music and web browsing. That said, I love the amoled display and the fact that using black wallpapers and themes helps saving battery.

Still, that kind of usage could easily be done on a lighter Z10.

- Battery is a nice plus, but since I'm a medicine student I'm most of the time studying or working in the hospital, so it's not a big problem to find a plug to get some juice during the day.

Then I'd suggest a Q10. A Z10 may disappoint you if you're not too keep on making sure you're doing EVERYTHING you can to save juice.

- I'm very happy with the speed of the system, but I find that the z30 slows down a lot when using Android app, for example loading Spotify, and I wonder what would happen using z10's slower cpu. Is there a big difference among the two? (and any of you knows if a Spotify bb10 app is coming soon or late?)

Actually, there is a bit of delay when opening the app (as the virtual machine needs to boot up an instance for the app to run), then you should not see much of lag. If you go Z10 you will see that initial "boot time" go higher (but not more than 10s) and a bit of in-app lag - depending on the app. Some apps are butter smooth, some not so much.

Z10 is a 1.5Ghz processor, while the Z30 is a 1.7Ghz. Makes some difference since they are phones.

More than this, I still miss some of the features of my old 9780, one of those is the automatic switch off/on of the device which was seriously super. Instead of that now I've to use Bedside Mode, which is cool but still uses some power (around 10% per night). The only real function I find for this is that thanks to that I don't have to reboot the device every morning (which would take sooo long as you know). I wonder if anyone here has found different uses for the mode.

Auto on/off!!! Why have you forsaken us! You learn to live without it.

Last thing is: I find the display perfect, and I usually set 0% brightness to save battery since is always very very readable, even under the sun, tough I'm not sure about the sensor and in fact I wonder if there's a way to check if it's working properly or not.

If you ca't tell if it's working, then it is working: It was meant to dim out/brighten up and give you the impression it never actually changed.

A Z10 is considerably brighter than a Z30. I personally prefer the Z30 as it does not burn my eyes when I look at it, but the Z10 does have a stronger WOW-effect.

So, in the end, what is your advise?

Try all devices before picking one up! From what you tell us, any BB10 device would o for you - even a Q5 or Z3.
    And welcome to the forums!
    05-11-14 03:29 PM
    I had to send my Z30 baby after three days due to a defect, but while I had it I definitely think it's WAY better than the Z10, and lightyears better than a friend's Z1.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-14 04:45 PM
    I have had the Z10, Q10 and just upgraded to the Z30. There are different pros and cons to each.

The major things that stick out is that the Z10 battery life is the least desirable. But since you indicated it's not a concern, this could be a good option for you.

The Q10 real estate is small, but it works. I have to say that the Q10 is a fantastic device. Battery life is superb and the tactile response of the physical keys is awesome. I would think it would be most ideal for you as it is the smallest form factor. But given the 1:1 ratio videos aren't maximized to the screen, instead it is wide screen with black top and bottom which doesn't really utilize all the free space it should. I found it passable for a casual video here and there.

I, for one, have found the pros of the Z30 outweigh the cons. But if it's definitely not working for you the Q10 I think is a great fit. And it still has the amoled display!
    05-11-14 05:09 PM
    Thanks both for the answer! I wanted to try the devices before buying them, but problem is that here (Milan, italy) is actually impossible to fin ANY bb10 device in a physical store. Even phone carriers don't show them anymore. I could only find a z10, but then I couldn't compare it with any other BB.

Anyway, I'm glad I finally join the Crackberry community, reading your posts and thread is taking my blackberry experience to a whole new level!
    05-13-14 06:38 AM
    Another doubt: do I attempt to my z30's battery life if I recharge that using bigger rechargers, like the ones used for tablets?
    05-16-14 04:25 AM
    Way better than Z10!

Harry
    05-16-14 08:37 AM
    Another doubt: do I attempt to my z30's battery life if I recharge that using bigger rechargers, like the ones used for tablets?
    Lots of people do this and post good results. It shouldn't be a problem.

In regards to your other questions:

Being someone that uses the browser a lot, I think the z30 does this best. I don't share your problem with the weight as I don't have any problem. In fact, I prefer the heft. Keep in mind in a 6 foot 2 male with larger hands.

The q10 is a great device and I love it but I find it too small for media and the browser is just too small for my use.

The z10 is fine but the battery is a deal breaker for me. I like to only charge when I go to bed.

Good luck out there and your medicine degree.

-Mark

Posted via my Z30
    05-16-14 09:11 AM
    I know have all three (Z10 as of March 2013, Q10 as of Oct 2013, and Z30, as of yesterday)--while I haven't had a chance to really play/experience the Z30 yet, I can give my opinions:

Z10: great brightness and screen, felt "big" for me at first (I was coming from a 9800 Torch), felt weird not having the physical keyboard, as I rarely used the touch keyboard on the Torch. The batt life was quite poor (could not go a full day without a mid-day charging) and while I did like the touch keyboard compared to iOS products, missed my physical keyboard.
    Q10: LOVED the physical keyboard and the dark theme and screen--while maybe not as "bright" as the Z10, much more depth in colors and deeper blacks. Loved keyboard shortcuts and battery life was superb. Only trade-off was much less screen size, esp. for some poorly transferred apps (bottoms cut off) and obviously videos very small to watch, although, transferred to computer, still great quality. I had meant to flip flop bet the Z and Q10, but ended up almost exclusively using the Q10, as I'm a heavy email user and the battery life + physical keyboard to me won over the screen size of the Z10.
    Z30: (not even a full day of use) great screen, can't comment on battery life until using for a while, but it is surprisingly smaller than I thought it would be (for some reason, I had thought it would be giant... but it is very close in size to the Z10--as a small female with small hands, this is a plus for me, as I didn't want something monstrously huge). I had always wanted to try out the Z30, but didn't feel it was worth the money to buy it to try it and possibly not like it, so was waiting for the Q20/classic coming out (physical keyboard + larger screen), but I ended up winning a Z30, so it's a bonus.

Right now, after trying it out, trying to decide which one to sell/get rid of (likely the Z10, if I like the Z30... my only attachment to the Z10 is that it's a white 100-3 model, which I heard was harder to come by and I see so few white ones out there... but, it's also been hiding in my drawer for quite a while, so that doesn't make to much of a difference to me).
    05-16-14 09:41 AM
    Thanks everyone for your feedbacks!
    I'm noticing that my z30 takes a lot and sometimes even does not switch from landscape to portrait mode, it is just like the accelerometer is not working properly: is it normal?
    05-20-14 08:41 AM
    I'm noticing that my z30 takes a lot and sometimes even does not switch from landscape to portrait mode, it is just like the accelerometer is not working properly: is it normal?
    You can test it with bbve an app. Blackberry virtual expert.
    05-20-14 09:14 AM
    BlackBerry 10 does not like landscape much. You can force the issue if you enter an app through the HUB, but standalone instances may or may not go landscape.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-20-14 06:41 PM
    Another doubt: do apps left in background (active frames) influence battery life greatly or not at all?
    05-22-14 12:33 PM
    Another doubt: do apps left in background (active frames) influence battery life greatly or not at all?
    Depends on the app. I think BB10 apps stay active unlike iOS and android where they go dormant when minimized.
    05-22-14 12:35 PM
    You have a lot of doubts for not using the phone awhile. Try using the phone for a few weeks and then see what happens from there.

If it's not for you, there are other OS's you can go back to.

BB10 takes a bit of time for people to assimilate to. If however you are finding too many doubts that you seem to be, then maybe BB10 isn't for you.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-14 04:06 PM
    You have a lot of doubts for not using the phone awhile. Try using the phone for a few weeks and then see what happens from there.

If it's not for you, there are other OS's you can go back to.

BB10 takes a bit of time for people to assimilate to. If however you are finding too many doubts that you seem to be, then maybe BB10 isn't for you.

Posted via CB10
    Are you disappointed or what?
    I have normal doubts using a new os, but I previously used all the others so I'm pretty sure of my choice. That said, it's probably normal that a thread called "some doubts" has inside doubts and questions about the topic, don't you agree?
    05-23-14 04:13 AM