Just interested to know many users here come from Symbian especially those previously using Symbian belle 2 gen devices.

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808
    05-10-14 10:36 AM
    Come on there have to be some people out there!
    05-10-14 12:38 PM
    Symbian... Wow that's a new jump.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 12:43 PM
    Me Nokia 700 running fp2

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 01:23 PM
    I had the P990i, the P1i, the Satio, then I got a BlackBerry 9700 bold, then the 9790 bold, then 9900 bold, and now Q10.

I used to love the symbian phones back in the day.

Posted via Commodore 64
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    05-10-14 01:33 PM
    Yes, recovering Symbian Fanboy here. Still smarting over series 80 being dumped for 60.
    Edit: ..it's been a slow process

Posted via CB
    Last edited by bennelong; 05-10-14 at 09:13 PM.
    05-10-14 05:01 PM
    Symbian... Wow that's a new jump.

Posted via CB10
    Symbian is not new. It is already 15 years not counting it's root. I'm sure anyone older than 30 must have used symbian before. Be it series60, series40, series80 or any psion PDA device or N series device. Because of symbian that is why I jump to bb10. HDMI, file manager, usb otg, files and folders, multitasking(only partially on bb10) minus the FM transmitter which I hope BlackBerry will include in next devices.

Anyone Here Jump From Symbian-nokia_9210.jpg
    Anyone Here Jump From Symbian-psione7-1.jpg

Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    05-11-14 01:00 AM
    Does Symbian used by Sony count?

Posted via CB10
    05-11-14 02:12 AM
    Symbian is Os like android, ios, sailfish, bb10. It doesn't matter which device use it. From what I see, there are hundreds of device and phone maker but only about dozen Os for phone being make.

05-11-14 02:14 AM
    It has been a couple of years, but I used to love my Nokia Symbian phone.

I am still upset at Elop for basically killing the Nokia N9 (I know that was not running Symbian) and giving it a very limited release.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-14 02:19 AM
    It has been a couple of years, but I used to love my Nokia Symbian phone.

I am still upset at Elop for basically killing the Nokia N9 (I know that was not running Symbian) and giving it a very limited release.
    At least meego harmattan is being reincarnation as bb10 and sailfish. Both follow meego harmattan swipe Ui with the same team that works on sailfish previously a meego harmattan developers. Just they are not allowed to use n9 swipe Ui directly as it belong to Nokia.

05-11-14 02:36 AM
    I had nokia c7 and then switched to the n8 it was cool and it's camera had 12megapixels when the high end other phones had 5 and then i dropped in the water and switched to blackberry since then

Posted via the best flicking keyboard
    05-11-14 03:08 AM
    I came from a Nokia C5-02 to the Zed.
    05-11-14 03:39 AM
    The last phone before my Z10, was a Nokia PureView 808 and prior to that most of my phones have been a Nokia. I've also tried Windows Mobile and Android, however I always came back to Symbian because it had the most features and did the job the way I was used to.

With Symbian canned I had nowhere to go besides BB10. Windows Phone is out of the question and I'm not too keen on Android even if Android is today feature rich. BB10 is in many aspects similar to Symbian, it has full multitasking and allow the user to manage and close programs. It also has microSD suppport, HDMI, which Symbian also very early supported.

Contrary to popular beliefs, the Symbian OS is a very good and versatile OS. In later years Symbian phones suffered from under powered hardware and a browser that wasn't as good as the competitors. Creating programs for Symbian was also difficult but it became much better once Nokia ported QT to Symbian. If Nokia had continued with Symbian, I'm sure these problems would have been addressed and Symbian would have remained an important mobile OS.

I'm on BB10 now and I'm satisfied with it. However, Blackberry doesn't seem to do so well and I hope they can continue making new phones. If BB10 is canned as well, I'm not sure where I'm going go.
    Last edited by AluminiumRims; 05-11-14 at 11:30 AM.
    05-11-14 08:33 AM
    I last phone before my Z10, was a Nokia PureView 808 and prior to that most of my phones have been a Nokia. I've also tried Windows Mobile and Android, however I always came back to Symbian because it had the most features and did the job the way I was used to.

With Symbian canned I had nowhere to go besides BB10. Windows Phone is out of the question and I'm not too keen on Android even if Android is today feature rich. BB10 is in many aspects similar to Symbian, it has full multitasking and allow the user to manage and close programs. It also has microSD suppport, HDMI, which Symbian also very early supported.

Contrary to popular beliefs, the Symbian OS is a very good and versatile OS. In later years Symbian phones suffered from under powered hardware and a browser that wasn't as good as the competitors. Creating programs for Symbian was also difficult but it became much better once Nokia ported QT to Symbian. If Nokia had continued with Symbian, I'm sure these problems would have been addressed and Symbian would have remained an important mobile OS.

I'm on BB10 now and I'm satisfied with it. However, Blackberry doesn't seem to do so well and I hope they can continue making new phones. If BB10 is canned as well, I'm not sure where I'm going go.
    DAMM eloped to hell. Now that I made bb10 my second and backup ship, I hope it can still stay a float given that a lot of party trying sink BlackBerry. For some symbian already sink and I will stay with till it rot to nothing in bottom. I wonder where I can I submit features request to BlackBerry. I miss tv-out(not to be confuse with HDMI) and fm transmitter. As I rely a lot on this features.

Creating apps earlier for symbian is never easy as one would require knowledge in symbian c++ which is language existed even before c++ is adopted and this thus posting difficulties even for experienced c++ developers. That's how old symbian is. I think bbos is even older with 25 years existence if not mistaken but now as dead as symbian.

05-11-14 09:01 AM
    Nokia N8 was my first smartphone. I loved the Carl Zeiss camera. And even though I bought my N8 without doing any research, I ended up loving the Symbian OS.

Some functions such as "always on clock screen" as well as pc integration with Nokia Suite and Nokia communicator program are still not matched by any other new phones on the market.

I installed Delight Belle custom firmware on my N8 and it was truly perfect. But the battery was done and I ordered a new battery from Ebay twice, both of which were defect. If I could find a real battery for my N8 that was functional, I would still be on that phone.

Now I'm on a Q10. And I like it so far, I still wish for the Symbian level of pc integration by being able to answer and make calls and texts right from the pc screen.

Me too, Symbian will always be my favorite os even though I joined Symbian towards the end of its life.

Oh and you don't have to be over 30 to know Symbian either, I'm only 21. Haha
    Traxxmy likes this.
    05-11-14 12:38 PM
    Nokia N8 was my first smartphone. I loved the Carl Zeiss camera. And even though I bought my N8 without doing any research, I ended up loving the Symbian OS.

Some functions such as "always on clock screen" as well as pc integration with Nokia Suite and Nokia communicator program are still not matched by any other new phones on the market.

I installed Delight Belle custom firmware on my N8 and it was truly perfect. But the battery was done and I ordered a new battery from Ebay twice, both of which were defect. If I could find a real battery for my N8 that was functional, I would still be on that phone.

Now I'm on a Q10. And I like it so far, I still wish for the Symbian level of pc integration by being able to answer and make calls and texts right from the pc screen.

Me too, Symbian will always be my favorite os even though I joined Symbian towards the end of its life.

Oh and you don't have to be over 30 to know Symbian either, I'm only 21. Haha
    You can try to order from mugen as their brand is reputable and even come with higher capacity.
    I even only 27 years old and bought n8 a year before being handed dead sentences and recently upgraded to nokia 808.

Since q10 use amoled screen, maybe you can request some qt/qml developer to remake nokia sleeping screen app for BlackBerry. Unfortunately z10 use lcd screen.

05-11-14 12:54 PM
    Some functions such as "always on clock screen" ... are still not matched by any other new phones on the market.
    Try Nokia Glance on any Nokia Lumia phone, it's much better and smarter than old "always on clock screen".
    05-15-14 07:11 AM
    Try Nokia Glance on any Nokia Lumia phone, it's much better and smarter than old "always on clock screen".
    You have to remember nokia glance idea is from nokia sleeping screen which have not been updated for years. If symbian were still supported, this app would have surpass glance. Unfortunately when symbian dying, the first thing take a hit is the ecosystem. Nokia sleeping screen belong to nokia so there is no way they would release the source. I think it is matter of time before there is nokia bubbles version.

05-15-14 10:31 AM
    You have to remember nokia glance idea is from nokia sleeping screen which have not been updated for years. If symbian were still supported, this app would have surpass glance. Unfortunately when symbian dying, the first thing take a hit is the ecosystem. Nokia sleeping screen belong to nokia so there is no way they would release the source. I think it is matter of time before there is nokia bubbles version.

You just don't get it.
    I'm not talking about Nokia Glance as new idea, I know it is old feature from symbian phones, I have had those phones.

I mention about Nokia Glance to user skstrials because he (wrongly) believes that "always on clock screen ... still not matched by any other new phones on the market".
    05-16-14 05:28 AM
    You just don't get it.
    I'm not talking about Nokia Glance as new idea, I know it is old feature from symbian phones, I have had those phones.

I mention about Nokia Glance to user skstrials because he (wrongly) believes that "always on clock screen ... still not matched by any other new phones on the market".
    Ahh...my mistake for misunderstood your post

05-16-14 07:41 AM
    http://crackberry.com/john-chen-want...-be-more-niche

Anyone start to feel a little deja vu here. Some foreigner become CEO and is entrusted to the company around but......he decided to kill the very own company products. I hope I jump into a right ship. Not another sinking ship or a ship purposely sink by its own captain

05-20-14 10:51 AM
    Nokia E72 here

Posted via Q10Bold
    05-20-14 11:01 AM
    Nokia E72 here

Posted via Q10Bold
    Haha, this one very old phone. Still using s60 v3 os

05-20-14 11:20 AM
    http://crackberry.com/john-chen-want...-be-more-niche

Anyone start to feel a little deja vu here. Some foreigner become CEO and is entrusted to the company around but......he decided to kill the very own company products. I hope I jump into a right ship. Not another sinking ship or a ship purposely sink by its own captain

Best wishes for BlackBerry, but yeah, I'm not sure if BlackBerry will still keep the phone business few years down the road.

Even though I don't use my N8 anymore, I still use allaboutsymbian too. Haha
    05-21-14 12:11 AM
35 12