Besides privacy and security.

It'd a serious question. I don't find it the easiest thing to get people to prefer bbm and want to download it and use it.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen likes this.
    05-10-14 12:10 AM
    We'll never convince everyone. About a third of my friends have finally started using it. The other 2 thirds never will. But the ones who try the BBM voice tend to love it and stick with it.
    diegonei likes this.
    05-10-14 12:17 AM
    One of the reasons I use and prefer BBM is because I get to invite only those people I choose as contacts onto my contacts list.

Many of the phone numbers I have on my phone are there so I know which calls and messages to avoid. This list includes contacts that go back many years. I much prefer inviting individuals than sifting through my contacts identifying individuals to block.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 12:23 AM
    just made a call across the country with bbm voice to an iphone friend... it was incredibly clear actually better than a regular phone call.
    05-10-14 12:29 AM
    Reliability.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 12:32 AM
    just made a call across the country with bbm voice to an iphone friend... it was incredibly clear actually better than a regular phone call.
    You can do that with Facebook Messenger, Skype and a number of others.

I avoid BBM now because it's feature bloated with too many redundancies. The beauty of apps like WhatsApp is that they focus on their core experiences without throwing everything and the kitchen sink into the app.

WhatsApp is basically a cross platform iMessage at this point. I've started pushing it to friends since I'm quitting social networks.

For voice and video calling Skype is better. Best platform support and the free group video us coming to mobile in the future I'm sure.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    05-10-14 03:39 AM
    You can do that with Facebook Messenger, Skype and a number of others.

I avoid BBM now because it's feature bloated with too many redundancies. The beauty of apps like WhatsApp is that they focus on their core experiences without throwing everything and the kitchen sink into the app.

WhatsApp is basically a cross platform iMessage at this point. I've started pushing it to friends since I'm quitting social networks.

For voice and video calling Skype is better. Best platform support and the free group video us coming to mobile in the future I'm sure.

I sincerely agree with you, voice calls are waaay better on Skype, I don't know why people get so impressed for BBM Voice... and I too believe that WhatsApp has more privacy on the chat sessions, you can hide your online status and people don't know if you read their message.

BBM needs a major re design because it looks boring (yeah, sorry, not even professional yet) and all the features feel hidden, they need to up their game asap.

Star Wars fan? Come join us C00121E8E
    05-10-14 03:59 AM
    There are up- and downsides of BBM to me:

What I like:
    - Message status (D/R)
    - The Design
    - The Emojis
    - Glympse
    - Group features, especially lists
    - More controllable contact list
    - Broadcasting status messages

What I don't like:
    - Still not always reliable with cross platform users
    - The PIN has it's downsides

All in all I'd prefer BBM over whatsapp, though most of my contacts only use whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 04:55 AM

I disagree with this. I want the kitchen sink any other feature they can throw at me. Choice is a good thing and BBM has been adding features faster than most IM apps out there.

Pro's

1. Status update view - I love this
    2. Groups - I like how the pictures section can be used like a little blog
    3. Channels - This has really grown on me. I can spend hours in there.
    4. 16mb file transfers - was on vacation recently. There was a meltdown at work. Sent needed files to co-worker from the beach while drunk from 4000km away. AWSOME.
    5. the ability to BBM APK's to others just tap and install once the file has transferred AWSOME (continuation of 4.)
    6. Voice works great. Full HD and no roaming charges when on WIFI
    7. Video calling is also great. Chatted with my parents in Scotland the other day from Canada. Flawless.
    8. Glimpse rocks. Great for road trips. (would like to share for more than 4 hours however)
    9. Voice notes. Great while driving

Con's

1. How it works on Iphone. It needs to be running in the background to be completely reliable.
    2. No cross platform video chat as of yet but its coming.
    05-10-14 05:26 AM
    I use bbm on both, legacy and android.
    and the one on android isn't reliable. has a lot of weird stuff going on. other the other hand, the one on os7 is just as smooth and fine.
    one should choose bbm over any other(i.e. popularly whatsapp)-
    1. If they hate whatsapp ( for some weird reasons) . like majority of people on crackberry
    2. If they really really want to support Blackberry by any means available
    3. Because its BBM
    4. Because friends use it
    5. If they are fed up on conventional IMs and need some change.
    6. *** FILE SHARING! ***
    7. Upload photos and discuss them separately
    8. Group chats( temporary )
    Sometimes i wished they never opted for other platforms. There's no exclusivity. I wonder what runs in people's mind while they purchase BBM stickers
    Also, don't call it reliable. it's not reliable.
    Gatmyer and anon(4044683) like this.
    05-10-14 05:30 AM
    Sometimes i wished they never opted for other platforms. There's no exclusivity. I wonder what runs in people's mind while they purchase BBM stickers
    Also, don't call it reliable. it's not reliable.
    Easy dude I have bought 3 packs

As for reliability its downright flawless BB to BB

BB to Iphone is perfect as long as the Iphone user has it running in the background. If its not the just get the BB splat notification until they open it which can mangle things like picture sharing.
    BB to Droid don't have much experience there but my two friends with it have no complaints.
    05-10-14 05:41 AM
    Easy dude I have bought 3 packs

As for reliability its downright flawless BB to BB

BB to Iphone is perfect as long as the Iphone user has it running in the background. If its not the just get the BB splat notification until they open it which can mangle things like picture sharing.
    BB to Droid don't have much experience there but my two friends with it have no complaints.
    Oh well okay
    message transmission is fine even via android. but, where it sometimes acts funny is in groups.
    And when i convince friends to come to bbm, they are like- why?
    and some who download it, send me their QR Code picture on my phone. Adding them is again pain as you have to read, type, add, switching apps. I wish it synced phone nos instead of stupid pins.
    05-10-14 06:02 AM
    For me it's all about the picture sending. I send a lot of pictures to family and the ability for them to get the high quality version of the ones they like and want to keep rather than only being able to get a compressed image is fantastic.

Plus, yes Whatsapp does messaging and Skype does calls and Facebook does stickers but why use multiple apps when one does it all including channels.

Posted via CB10
    Gatmyer likes this.
    05-10-14 06:18 AM
    If number of unread messages and ability to send videos and files added in groups, all my friends said they would shift to BBM ditching WhatsApp. Also editing group names too.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 06:23 AM
    For me it's all about the picture sending. I send a lot of pictures to family and the ability for them to get the high quality version of the ones they like and want to keep rather than only being able to get a compressed image is fantastic.

Plus, yes Whatsapp does messaging and Skype does calls and Facebook does stickers but why use multiple apps when one does it all including channels.

Posted via CB10
    Hate to break it to you but Skype and fb has more functions then you think
    Fb and.Skype has true cross-platform features that bbm.doesn't have
    Let's see fb and Skype has video and voice calls on all platforms not just blackberry
    You can send multiple attachments while you can only send one on bbm at a time

And you can send hq and lq pictures with both Skype and.fb without restrictions and you can share.them as a.group with.group chat
    Bbm didn't start allowing hq pics from day one it was only recently they updated it to 16meg
    Unlike bbm most cross platform messengers don't have file size limits
    Even fb messenger has a limit higher then bbm

It's 25megs on fb which makes hq transfers of videos and multiple pictures seem less
    Fb has pages which are more browsible then channels and you can get info about the page and all cross platform apps have emoticons and stickies
    Lord if voice chat had roaming on all platforms there is no roamming on voip calls that has more to do with your data connections then bbm
    Other platforms has had this for ages it is only new to bbry bbmx

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Last edited by Phi Nguyen; 05-10-14 at 09:38 AM.
    05-10-14 07:36 AM
    I primarily use Skype because of Desktop. It's my primary communication tool at work so I need to use it.
    Like others, the iPhone implementation isn't ideal so it's been hard to convince my friends and family with iPhones to use BBM.
    Android tablets are another sore spot. You can sideload the apk put that probably applies to only a few percent of owners.
    I still use BBM as much as I can and try to convince others but it's still a tough sell.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 08:18 AM
    I disagree with this. I want the kitchen sink any other feature they can throw at me. Choice is a good thing and BBM has been adding features faster than most IM apps out there.

Pro's

1. Status update view - I love this
    2. Groups - I like how the pictures section can be used like a little blog
    3. Channels - This has really grown on me. I can spend hours in there.
    4. 16mb file transfers - was on vacation recently. There was a meltdown at work. Sent needed files to co-worker from the beach while drunk from 4000km away. AWSOME.
    5. the ability to BBM APK's to others just tap and install once the file has transferred AWSOME (continuation of 4.)
    6. Voice works great. Full HD and no roaming charges when on WIFI
    7. Video calling is also great. Chatted with my parents in Scotland the other day from Canada. Flawless.
    8. Glimpse rocks. Great for road trips. (would like to share for more than 4 hours however)
    9. Voice notes. Great while driving

Con's

1. How it works on Iphone. It needs to be running in the background to be completely reliable.
    2. No cross platform video chat as of yet but its coming.
    I agree completely with all of ur points. It is a battery drainer for Android users though.

Loving my Zed 10!!
    05-10-14 08:28 AM
    Hate to break it to you but Skype and fb has more functions then you think
    Fb and.Skype has true cross-platform features that bbm.doesn't have
    Let's see fb and Skype has video and voice calls on all platforms not just blackberry
    You can send multiple attachments while you can only send one on bbm at a time

And you can send hq and lq pictures with both Skype and.fb without restrictions and you can share.them as a.group with.group chat
    Bbm didn't start allowing hq pics from day one it was only recently they updated it to 16meg
    Unlike bbm most cross platform messengers don't have file size limits
    Even fb messenger has a limit higher then bbm

It's 25megs on fb which makes hq transfers of videos and multiple pictures seem less
    Fb has pages which are more browsible then channels and you can get info about the page and all cross platform apps have emoticons and stickies

Doesn't BBM have video and voice call cross-platform?

Zee coolest flicking smartphone ever
    05-10-14 09:20 AM
    Doesn't BBM have video and voice call cross-platform?

No only on bb 10 phones

Voice calls on bbmx

05-10-14 09:31 AM
    Posted via CB10
    Cuz they do it better and have more features than bbm, oh, and they have something more important than all those features, they have MY FRIENDS.

05-10-14 10:12 AM
    I recently uninstalled BBM from my Android phone. I had two friends on it, but one uninstalled leaving me with only one contact. BBM for Android uses too much battery life and data to keep it installed just for one contact.

The kicker? Both the contacts I did have also have Google Hangouts. We was each trying to find an excuse to use BBM on Android, but really didn't need it. There are enough perfectly suitable options already available and each have more users.
    05-10-14 10:20 AM
    WHatsApp is now owned by FACEBOOK= DELETED off my phone. Facebook is an evil company, that actually demands government ID when they boot you out of the system now. Your phone number and email are apparently not enough for them.
    medic22003 likes this.
    05-10-14 10:52 AM
    Cuz they do it better and have more features than bbm, oh, and they have something more important than all those features, they have MY FRIENDS.

What's with the snoody reply. It's just an app

SmileDahling likes this.
    05-10-14 11:18 AM
    Greatest thing I love about BBM is that it uses pins rather then your cell number so if you don't want to talk to someone just block them and that person has no way of contacting you ever again.

Z30 and loving it!
    05-10-14 11:34 AM
    Greatest thing I love about BBM is that it uses pins rather then your cell number so if you don't want to talk to someone just block them and that person has no way of contacting you ever again.

Z30 and loving it!
    don't you think you can block people by blocking contacts? pins are stupid. who has time to call up everybody personally and ask them for their pin. remembering them is another challenge. in case of android, they keep changing with every install
    05-10-14 01:36 PM
67 123