I need to maintain a single calendar that handles the personal and business appointments of both my wife and me. If we both got Blackberries, could we sync to this same calendar?

My first choice would be to use Outlook 2007. My second choice would be Google calendar. My third choice is a third-party software product. Desktop platform is Windows XP. Blackberry plan would be personal, not enterprise.

It needs to be very fast to access, add, and change, so I don't want to use the invitation feature as a workaround.

THANKS to the community for any info!
    Last edited by johnnylighton; 11-10-08 at 11:26 PM.
    11-10-08 11:23 PM
    Following up to my own post, I found the following answer:

"you both can sync the one [Google] family calendar to your berrys. There is no need to share with him - unless he's using his own calendar as well. My husband and I share the single calendar. Works great."

It's contained in the 5th post on this page:
    Shared Google Calendar - Google Mobile on BlackBerry devices | Google Groups

So it will work! Now the only trick will be to get our hands on two Storms.
    11-11-08 06:58 PM
    what about having two people sync with the two different user profiles on the same computer.

Example....

I will have a storm...my wife will have a curve.

right now we share a computer. it is windows XP and we have separate user accounts setup. she has her outlook calendar, contacts, etc. and when i log in...i have my calendar, contacts, etc.

so will desktop manager be able to sync the correct phone with the correct profile?
    11-13-08 09:22 PM
    also...you guys have any tips or tricks for doing this that you would like to share?

one more question...if i install the desktop manager that comes with the storm...i assume i will not need to install what ever comes with the curve...right?
    11-13-08 09:23 PM
    My wife and I both have separate log ons on XP and use Outlook and the calendars and contacts don't mix.
    11-13-08 09:53 PM
    You should be fine using the desktop manager that comes with the Storm with the Curve.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-08 12:33 AM
    Can 2 Balckberry Storms keep their calendars in sync with each other without a thrid party calendar being involved like Google or Outlook?

I want to make changes to the schedule/calendar directly on my handheld, and have those show up on my wife's handheld (and vice-versa) by wireless sync, so that we are always looking at identical calendars.

I've tried downloading and using the Blackberry Unite! software, but it seems really Klunky and I haven't been able to get it to work.

--Don
    12-07-08 04:18 PM
    Can 2 Balckberry Storms keep their calendars in sync with each other without a thrid party calendar being involved like Google or Outlook?

I want to make changes to the schedule/calendar directly on my handheld, and have those show up on my wife's handheld (and vice-versa) by wireless sync, so that we are always looking at identical calendars.

I've tried downloading and using the Blackberry Unite! software, but it seems really Klunky and I haven't been able to get it to work.

--Don
    any update on this?
    01-27-11 05:47 PM
    I use google calendar and it is flawless for this. My wife and I own a business together and this has been a life saver.

01-27-11 06:08 PM
    I use google calendar and it is flawless for this. My wife and I own a business together and this has been a life saver.

when you post the update on the calendar does your wife get notification of this or does she have to open to see it? This is good stuff
    01-27-11 06:14 PM
    Using Outlook 2007 and Windows, there is no problem syncing the Oulook Calender to more than one BlackBerry.

There are some simple rules around this however.

1). Desktop Manager is installed on the PC and both BlackBerrys are set up to sync at least the Calender in Outlook. This is simple to do but it must be done.

2). Both Blackberrys must use the same Windows account so as to have access to the same Outlook data.

3). You need to synbc both Blackberrys one after the other to Outlook. This will synce both Blackberrys to Outlook. Now you will need to sync the first Blackberry again so as to pick up the Calender updates from the 2nd Blackberry. This way both Blackberrys first sync to Outlook and then you sync to make sure that both phones have the same data. It sounds a little confusing but it's actulally very simple.

I keep a spare Blackberry in my car and I regularly sync like this.
    WalleyeOnRye likes this.
    01-27-11 06:17 PM
    Now you will need to sync the first Blackberry again so as to pick up the Calender updates from the 2nd Blackberry. This way both Blackberrys first sync to Outlook and then you sync to make sure that both phones have the same data. It sounds a little confusing but it's actulally very simple.

I keep a spare Blackberry in my car and I regularly sync like this.
    I'm assumeing this is to put the updates from the 2nd bb onto the 1st bb. What would happen if say you put events in outlook then follow your plan? What I got in mind is that in the office we can schudel stuff on the pc. Then out in the field put stuff on the calendar on our bbs then sync everthing together. Now with using outlook should this work with a bb and an iphone? Bump bump bummmp.

01-27-11 06:43 PM
    I'm assumeing this is to put the updates from the 2nd bb onto the 1st bb. What would happen if say you put events in outlook then follow your plan? What I got in mind is that in the office we can schudel stuff on the pc. Then out in the field put stuff on the calendar on our bbs then sync everthing together. Now with using outlook should this work with a bb and an iphone? Bump bump bummmp.

What seems to happen is that both BlackBerrys update their Calenders independently during a day/week/whatever period.

Outlook too may also carry updates that are on neither Blackberry so that now we have three disparate but similar data sets (Calenders, in English)

The first Blackberry to sync to Outlook gets the Outlook updates and transfers its changes to Outlook.

Syncing the second BlackBerry now updates it with the Outlook updats which now includee the updates from Blackberry #1. It also transfers updates made on BBlackberry #2 to Outlook. Thsi we now have two different data sets. These are the same on BlackBerry #2 and Outlook but BlackBerry #1 does not yet have BlackBerry #2's updates.

Lastly sync Blackberry #1 with Outlook and all three data sets will now be the same.

At least, until someone makes a change on any of the three Calenders when the whole procedure must be repeated.
    01-27-11 07:20 PM
    Why not both get a google account, share calendars, install google sync on both phones. Then they will wirelessly sync with each other. No need for wires if you don't have to.

01-27-11 07:30 PM
    Thanks. That's what I was getting at. So any ideas about throwing an iphone in the mix. Seems like it should work with any device that can sync with outlook. Right???

01-27-11 07:30 PM
    You can also set up a BBM Group for your family, then use the group calendar for family events. They will sync across automatically without needing to sync to Google or Outlook. Of course, it won't tie in with iPhone or Android, but if both of you are on BB's, it works great.

My wife and I have a BBM Group for us. We also use the list function to keep things sync'd between us. One list we keep is a grocery list. Either one of us can add things to the list, and whoever goes to the grocery store can check things off.
    01-28-11 10:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD