after knowing that the new Windermere's camera will be borrowed from the next LG's flagship device's cam and at 13MP, common sense means that most probably this will be Blackberry's flagship's new camera:

EXCLUSIVE: New LG G3 photos show all its golden glory - GSMArena.com news

"Rumors have it we're looking at a 13MP camera with the latest OIS+ stabilization found on the G Pro 2. Naturally, it is also going to be are capable of recording 4K video."
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    05-08-14 03:04 PM
    Hmm ok, cool.
    05-08-14 03:55 PM
    I hope they bump up the front camera specs.
    Tired of low quality selfies haha.
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    05-08-14 05:05 PM
    This would be great! I'm embarrassed at my terrible pictures compared to the wife's iPhone 5S.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 05:36 PM
    I don't care for megapixels. I care for better low light pictures.

I want a 5MP camera that has amazing low light capabilities

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and flacko like this.
    05-08-14 05:45 PM
    This would be great! I'm embarrassed at my terrible pictures compared to the wife's iPhone 5S.

Posted via CB10
    I've been able to take the same quality pics from my old Z10 and current Z30 as my fianc�s 5s. You do have to learn how to use the settings properly though.

Posted via Z30 C001F29E5
    05-08-14 06:33 PM
    I've been able to take the same quality pics from my old Z10 and current Z30 as my fianc�s 5s. You do have to learn how to use the settings properly though.

Posted via Z30 C001F29E5
    Who wants to have to learn how to use the settings properly to take comparably good quality pics?

Posted via CB10
    Bobert_123 and mania626 like this.
    05-08-14 06:36 PM
    Who wants to have to learn how to use the settings properly to take comparably good quality pics?

Posted via CB10
    Ok...... Then continue to take crappy pics I guess lol

Posted via Z30 C001F29E5
    05-08-14 06:38 PM
    Here's all of the known camera modules that BlackBerry is using:

CAMERA MODULES
    • 13MP: Sony IMX 135
    • 8MP: Samsung S5K3H7
    • 8MP: Omnivision OV8835
    • 5MP: STMicroelectronics VB6955
    • 2MP: Omnivision OV2720
    • 2MP: Aptina A2030
    • 1MP: Sony IMX 188PQ
    So unless BlackBerry upgraded their camera hardware, it's the Xperia Z camera.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 06:49 PM
    I'm still waiting for optical zoom, although this looks like a decent upgrade on current camera options.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 07:17 PM
    I'm still confused what the goal is with this phone!? Is it going to be the medical device? a phablet with a keyboard? Or just a high end phone.

I hope BlackBerry still has something up there sleeve on this one. the odd shape doesn't seem like a phone I want to carry around all day.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 09:29 PM

Posted via Z30 C001F29E5
    You may be right. I haven't spent the time messing around with the settings. Maybe there's a guide on Crackberry or something.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 10:30 PM
    BlackBerry already has a front facing camera of 2 megapixels which is being considered as standard in todays market.
    It's great for HD video in well lit rooms but it does crap out when there's not enough light.

I'd be rather surprised if they upgraded the front facing camera.
    05-10-14 08:49 AM
    I agree with megapixel smegapixel, make the software better and algorithms to get better not perfect conditions shots.
    05-10-14 09:20 AM
    Here's all of the known camera modules that BlackBerry is using:

So unless BlackBerry upgraded their camera hardware, it's the Xperia Z camera.

Posted via CB10
    Damn, from what I can see off Google, that's a nearly 2 year old camera.

Posted via CB10
    btolley likes this.
    05-10-14 11:46 AM

Posted via CB10
    Lol!! Terrible pictures? What device are you using? It certainly isn't a Z30. Or maybe it is another case of " A bad workman quarreling with his tools ".
    My Z30 takes very satisfactory pictures.

Posted via CB10
    user5240 likes this.
    05-15-14 07:51 AM
    I don't care for megapixels. I care for better low light pictures.

I want a 5MP camera that has amazing low light capabilities

Posted via CB10
    I concur. Can't beat a good quality big pixel sensor for collecting light! Especially with the area available in a smartphone to hold a sensor.
    05-15-14 01:58 PM
    Lol!! Terrible pictures? What device are you using? It certainly isn't a Z30. Or maybe it is another case of " A bad workman quarreling with his tools ".
    My Z30 takes very satisfactory pictures.

Posted via CB10
    I'm using a Z10. I find it slow to focus, and pictures typically turn out grainy unless there's plenty of light...

I certainly don't claim to be a photo expert so I'm partially to blame, but I do have better luck with the wife's 5S.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 02:55 PM
    I'm using a Z10. I find it slow to focus, and pictures typically turn out grainy unless there's plenty of light...

I certainly don't claim to be a photo expert so I'm partially to blame, but I do have better luck with the wife's 5S.

Posted via CB10
    I'm pretty sure the Z30 has the same camera as the Z10. I wouldn't say either takes terrible pics (perfectly acceptable in good lighting conditions imo) but I doubt you'd find many reviewers who say either is on Par with even the iphone5

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 05:54 PM
    Its also the camera sensor that the Galaxy S4 uses so photos should be great
    https://chipworks.secure.force.com/c...ate=DetailView
    05-15-14 10:18 PM
    I always wondered if the camera performance is more software driven than the actual hardware. Agree with many that the focus is slow as molassas. But also agree, if you know what you are doing, you can take excellent photos.

So, it leads me to believe that the software was shiite.
    05-17-14 07:09 AM
    I always wondered if the camera performance is more software driven than the actual hardware. Agree with many that the focus is slow as molassas. But also agree, if you know what you are doing, you can take excellent photos.

It's a combination of things.

I think the camera app is rudimentary and could use improvement in both features (ie setting displays, manual controls and overrides) and technology. (Better autofocus, white balance, color balance, etc)

And the Omnivision camera module is OK but not great.

Unfortunately BlackBerry isn't able to take a reference design ie from the camera/sensor vendor or SoC vendor (Apparently a bunch of camera functionality is built into the Snapdragon CPU/SoC now) and tweak it slightly for their use, I doubt anyone is providing that sort of thing for BB10 platform. So they have to do it all from scratch themselves.
    05-17-14 11:16 AM

I just upgraded to OS10.3.0.1418 and I gotta say that the new camera software is awesome! It's making a huge difference in the quality of my pictures.

The quick focus plays a big part, but the new UI is much better and helps as well. I also like how it makes suggestions on which mode to use. Like today it said something to the effect of "high contrast detected, tap here to switch to HDR". And the HDR was actually very quick and took nice pics with no blurring of anything like that.

I am very happy about the new camera software for sure!

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 11:22 PM