Did my first sync tonight and have a bunch of duplicate contacts - I can't figure out the rhyme or reason why some are duplicated and some are not.

For one example:

When I click on the contact I see the 4 Links:

First Last Name, Local Contacts
    First Last Name, SIM
    First Last Name, the name of my computer (I synced from Outlook)
    First Last Name, the name of my computer (I synced from Outlook)

But yet this particular contact only shows up ONCE in my "All Contacts" list, but with 4 different Links within the contact.

Then I have others where a contact shows up TWICE in my "All Contacts" list - I checked a few at random, and in all cases, when I click on the "Links" each one shows my computer name.

I have 2-way sync set up for contacts - tonight is the first time I tried to sync (I have just a handful of contacts on the phone, and many in Outlook). I did sync TWICE because the first time BlackBerry Link said the sync had not been successful - but shouldn't it have recognized these duplicates? And what I really don't get is why did only some get duplicated, but not all?

I've seen in other threads where people mention turning off the option to save to different places - and I see that option when I create a contact from the phone. But how does that apply when I'm trying to sync?

And what would be the easiest/quickest way to clean up the contacts on my phone? (without messing up my Outlook?

Thanks!
    JG_Agustin likes this.
    05-06-14 09:48 PM
    Pull down the app setting from the top. Choose the least amount of "Show Account in Contact List" as possible. I have a lot of account with 2 links or more. I never have a problem with it. I don't have a problem with duplicates unless I unlink that certain contact.
    05-07-14 12:25 AM
    Your maybe selecting to save to your email, sim card and local network. This option is up top when your creating a new account. Also when in your contacts home page swipe to the right and you might have it set to all. This will show all your contacts currently set to the device. If you would like to remove one of these which in my case I removed my local network tab. On your contacts home screen swipe from top and select settings. (show accounts in contact list)In here you can remove each of those so that it won't show up duplicates , In here I switched my local network to off so it wouldn't show duplicates.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-07-14 05:34 AM
    Go on a desktop computer, create a Gmail account. Sign into Gmail. Go into the list on the left side of the screen, create a contact list. Save it.

Add this Gmail account to your BlackBerry device. When you have Gmail (with that contact list) on your device, the device will synchronize the account and you won't have any need to add contacts one by one.

If you had 100 or 200 contacts entered in your Gmail contacts list , the phone syncs the whole list automatically. You then have the choice to view all contacts or Gmail contacts in your phone, when you open up the contacts icon on your main screen of BB10. Just make your list in Gmail first, then delete the other list you had before. Add the new Gmail account to your phone and all of the contacts will be there. No more duplicates.

Hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    D.Vader likes this.
    05-07-14 05:42 AM
    I also have this problem but I link them with each other. But one thing is missing in BB10. Its copying single or multiple contacts to sim card.

Posted via CrackBerry App on my Zed 10
    05-07-14 06:42 AM
    Add this Gmail account to your BlackBerry device. When you have Gmail (with that contact list) on your device, the device will synchronize the account and you won't have any need to add contacts one by one.

If you had 100 or 200 contacts entered in your Gmail contacts list , the phone syncs the whole list automatically. You then have the choice to view all contacts or Gmail contacts in your phone, when you open up the contacts icon on your main screen of BB10. Just make your list in Gmail first, then delete the other list you had before. Add the new Gmail account to your phone and all of the contacts will be there. No more duplicates.
    So BB 10 contacts on my phone will automatically sync with Google Contacts? I don't need to move my phone contacts to GMail Contacts?
    05-07-14 11:04 AM
    Pull down the app setting from the top. Choose the least amount of "Show Account in Contact List" as possible. I have a lot of account with 2 links or more. I never have a problem with it. I don't have a problem with duplicates unless I unlink that certain contact.
    The problem when I do this is that if I uncheck the one showing my computer's name then I have NO contacts except for the handful of contacts on my SIM card.

My primary "storage" for my contacts is Outlook...Outlook's what I consider to be my hub...so I need to figure out how to sync so there aren't 1,000 links or duplicate entries on my list.
    05-07-14 11:14 AM
    Your maybe selecting to save to your email, sim card and local network. This option is up top when your creating a new account. Also when in your contacts home page swipe to the right and you might have it set to all. This will show all your contacts currently set to the device. If you would like to remove one of these which in my case I removed my local network tab. On your contacts home screen swipe from top and select settings. (show accounts in contact list)In here you can remove each of those so that it won't show up duplicates , In here I switched my local network to off so it wouldn't show duplicates.
    Right I see that option when I go create a new contact on the phone itself. But how does that get controlled when you're syncing?

And yes I do have the "All" which I'm starting to understand if I have a contact both on my SIM and local if I view my Contacts with the All setting I will be seeing both. So what I'm starting to understand is that these are not really DUPLICATES - they're just the same name stored in two places.

I use Outlook as my main hub - all my contacts are in there - and I sync them to Google Apps but again, I consider Google Apps to be my secondary account. I want Outlook's info. on my BB, not what's in Google Apps (since I don't control it like I do my Outlook).

So what would be the best option to save to? SIM and computer? Local and computer? Just so I have a "backup" on my phone but not saving it to more places than necessary.

I also do want to point out that when I select "my computer name" from my Contacts home page I am seeing TWO entries for some contacts. What is the safest way of deleting these and then not messing up Outlook on my next sync? (I have it syncing 2 ways right now).
    05-07-14 11:22 AM
    Go on a desktop computer, create a Gmail account. Sign into Gmail. Go into the list on the left side of the screen, create a contact list. Save it.

Hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks TD.

The issue I have with this is that I don't see Gmail/Google as my hub - I see Outlook as my hub. I have Outlook syncing with Google Apps but it's Outlook I keep organized like I want. So I want the data that's in my Outlook to be in my BlackBerry since I control that much more carefully.
    05-07-14 11:24 AM
    I don't use the SIM to store contacts, maybe coming from CDMA where I had no SIM so I turned that off. When I setup my accounts I choose to only sync the account contacts for the account I use. I had to turn contacts off on the rest of the accounts. I also don't use social media and the like so I'm not or BBRY isn't trying to pull hundreds of contacts from each different whatever and trying to figure out what to do with the mess.
    05-07-14 11:26 AM
    Make a Gmail account on your desktop computer, so you can create a contact list in Gmail itself. When done, add a new account to your device just like you would an email account.

Problems are solved. It syncs as any other email account would...

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 11:29 AM
    Make a Gmail account on your desktop computer, so you can create a contact list in Gmail itself. When done, add a new account to your device just like you would an email account.

Problems are solved. It syncs as any other email account would...

Posted via CB10
    I already have Gmail accounts WITHIN Outlook that are syncing with Gmail/Google Apps - I'm not understanding why I would want a NEW gmail account? Are you saying I would manually add (or import) the contacts from Outlook into this new Gmail account? I'm not sure how that's different from what I have right now?

(sorry TD, obviously what you're saying is simple but I'm not getting it! )
    05-07-14 12:03 PM
    Do you have outlook syncing with Gmail contacts? Sounds like the confusion is having contacts all over creation.
    05-07-14 12:07 PM
    Do you have outlook syncing with Gmail contacts? Sounds like the confusion is having contacts all over creation.
    ETA: Yes, I do have Outlook syncing with Gmail contacts (I realize after I posted I never answered your question).

But really, you consider that to be all over creation? I essentially need them in 3 places. In Outlook for when I'm in front of my PC (Outlook gives me certain features Gmail/Google doesn't); on the "Internet"/in Google for those times when I'm not in front of my PC but I have internet access...and now that I have the phone, I want them there too...

Am I missing something? Maybe now that I have the phone I need a whole new / different syncing setup?
    Last edited by cbcj; 05-07-14 at 12:25 PM. Reason: for clarity, to answer kbz's question
    05-07-14 12:23 PM
    OK. First, I don't use Outlook, the software on a pc, not outlook.com to sync anything but I do have it. I have read on here there is a way to sync using link but you would have to look that up. Where are Google apps coming in the picture? I didn't know Google made apps for BBRY?
    05-07-14 12:39 PM
    OK. First, I don't use Outlook, the software on a pc, not outlook.com to sync anything but I do have it. I have read on here there is a way to sync using link but you would have to look that up. Where are Google apps coming in the picture? I didn't know Google made apps for BBRY?
    OK yeah I realize people have different setups - that's why I didn't understand why you thought I had contacts all over the place.

The sync I've been talking about that created duplicate contacts WAS through the BlackBerry Link software (I didn't realize there were OTHER ways to sync I should have made that clear in my first post!)

When I say Google Apps I mean Gmail - but it's an email address with my own domain name so it's [email protected] rather than @gmail.com - but it works the same. I just give that detail in case it makes a difference - it probably doesn't.

So my setup is:

Outlook software (not outlook.com) on PC
    Outlook contacts sync with Gmail/Google apps
    Outlook syncs with BlackBerry via BlackBerry link (using a USB Cable) (the first time I attempted this was last night, and that's where the duplicates came in)
    05-07-14 12:49 PM
    OK yeah I realize people have different setups - that's why I didn't understand why you thought I had contacts all over the place.

The sync I've been talking about that created duplicate contacts WAS through the BlackBerry Link software (I didn't realize there were OTHER ways to sync I should have made that clear in my first post!)

When I say Google Apps I mean Gmail - but it's an email address with my own domain name so it's [email protected] rather than @gmail.com - but it works the same. I just give that detail in case it makes a difference - it probably doesn't.

So my setup is:

Outlook software (not outlook.com) on PC
    Outlook contacts sync with Gmail/Google apps
    Outlook syncs with BlackBerry via BlackBerry link (using a USB Cable) (the first time I attempted this was last night, and that's where the duplicates came in)
    Thanks. Maybe that will help someone else to help you.

So there were no contacts on the bb before syncing with link?
    05-07-14 01:00 PM
    Never mind outlook. That doesn't matter. What you need to see in settings, accounts, should be a Gmail account in there, along with a contact list made in it, on a desktop, beforehand. For example, the only accounts I have on my Z10 are Hotmail, yahoo mail, and Gmail. Three accounts only. Don't bother with outlook. You have your hub for emails anyway...it is simple. add your Gmail account to your device. Add any other email account in there too. If you have made a contact list in Gmail, they will sync.

What is hard to understand about that?

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 01:15 PM
    You said you made mention you already have a Gmail account. So go on a desktop, sign into Gmail, create a contacts list with phone numbers, save it and add that Gmail account to your device.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 01:20 PM
    Thanks. Maybe that will help someone else to help you.

So there were no contacts on the bb before syncing with link?
    Sure. No, only a handful were on the device - whoever called me in that time, maybe like 4-5 people I put them in the phone - just so I had their #s until I had a chance to sync.
    05-07-14 02:56 PM
    Never mind outlook. That doesn't matter. What you need to see in settings, accounts, should be a Gmail account in there, along with a contact list made in it, on a desktop, beforehand. For example, the only accounts I have on my Z10 are Hotmail, yahoo mail, and Gmail. Three accounts only. Don't bother with outlook. You have your hub for emails anyway...it is simple. add your Gmail account to your device. Add any other email account in there too. If you have made a contact list in Gmail, they will sync.

What is hard to understand about that?

Posted via CB10
    I don't even understand WHERE you're telling me to go in Settings > Accounts on a desktop beforehand if it's not Outlook.

And you're telling me to forget Outlook so I'm thinking you did not mean Outlook. But if by any chance you did mean Outlook, yes I have the Gmail Account in there. And Gmail has the contacts because it's syncing with Outlook.

But TD - forget it - I don't mean that in a bad way. At all. I appreciate that you're trying to help me. But obviously I'm not advanced enough or understand the instructions to be able to do anything with it. Plus I don't want to "forget Outlook" - so I'm just not getting what you're trying to get me to do I don't get why a new Gmail account. And I don't want to waste your time. I know it's hard to help people via writing. So I'll just continue to see if there are other solutions that might help me or maybe just call BB support.
    05-07-14 03:04 PM
    I turn off all accounts and I still have contacts in my contact list. Where are those contacts stored?
    05-22-14 02:42 PM
    If i Understand this correctly:

You have all your contacts in outlook(PC software), you also sync these contacts with a gmail account(your own domain). You want to sync said contacts to your device without a ton of duplicates?

Just setup the gmail account as your primary contacts in the email setup application( Settings > Accounts), and add your domain as a contact sync(or turn the option on when you setup the email domain). Next go to the contacts setup (contacts app > swipe from top), scroll down to where you see "Show Account in Contact List" turn them all off except the gmail domain.

I do this exact same thing and do not have all the duplicates. Stop syncing to outlook when you plug in your device, this is where the duplicates are coming from. Or if you still sync the emails with outlook, just turn the outlook option off in the contacts settings.
    05-22-14 05:44 PM
    I turn off all accounts and I still have contacts in my contact list. Where are those contacts stored?
    More then likely, they are locally stored if all options are turned off.
    05-22-14 05:45 PM
    I can't help you. Mine duplicate randomly all the time. They'll even tripe of quadruple sometimes when I update the OS with link.

BlackBerry has probably the worst address book. Before everyone jumps down my throat, no, I haven't tried every other address book. I just find it hard to believe that anyone else's could be as bad as BlackBerry.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Doggerz likes this.
    05-22-14 05:49 PM
35 12