I'm thinking of getting a Roku. Does anyone use it? Does anyone using the Roku app? How do you like it? And comments would be helpful. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 11:54 PM
    I'm a Roku owner and I love it! You should check out this forum at our sister site Connectedly, they have more info about Roku....

Roku - Connectedly Forum

The Android app works great on the BB10 devices, plus there are 2 great native apps Rokemote, and Clicker which also work great. A good friend of mine wrote Rokemote and I personally beta tested Clicker, both are fine apps and highly functional. You will not be disappointed!
    05-05-14 12:05 AM
    I just purchased the Roku 3 today! Its probably too early for me to give any in depth info but I can tell you that it's very easy to set up and I downloaded the app called Roku on egoodreader and it works as a remote control on my Q10 however only on a wifi network. It wouldn't connect to a wired connection but all good so far! I only downloaded goodreader yesterday and now when I download anything on snap, it tells me I don't have an installer now. Anyone know why?

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    06-09-14 09:18 PM
    I work Home Theater at Best Buy. You'd be better off just spending the extra 25 dollars and getting a blu ray player. A lot of them carry most of the apps that a Roku does. Plus you can play blu rays and dvds.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 11:12 PM
    @ coldrooster

Which blu-ray would you recommend from best buy?

Thx

Posted via CB10
    06-15-14 11:27 PM
    @ coldrooster

Which blu-ray would you recommend from best buy?

Thx

Posted via CB10
    Sony makes a great one that has over 300 apps and will play both the blu ray and dvds.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-14 10:37 AM
    I'm ignorant here. Roku 3 claims to have over 700 channels and reviewers say is way faster and interface is easier to use.

Are those extra channels good?

Posted via CB10
    06-16-14 10:50 AM
    I'm ignorant here. Roku 3 claims to have over 700 channels and reviewers say is way faster and interface is easier to use.

Are those extra channels good?

Posted via CB10
    Not sure. I think a lot of them people don't use anyways.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-14 01:35 PM
    I have both a Samsung blu-ray player and a Roku. I can't speak for the Sony blu-ray players (probably much better quality than the Samsung) but Roku blows it out of the water in terms of ease of use and the ability to connect to my wireless network.

The samsung would not connect no matter how many different configs I tried. The roku connected no problem. Just my experience. :-)

Posted via my beautiful Q10
    DJM626 likes this.
    06-16-14 01:47 PM
    Funny, the best buy rep recommended the Roku 3 over the wifi blue ray player. Not all reps know their stuff! After reading reviews, I chose the Roku 3, works for me and happy with it. Too many channels and no issues with lag, great quality picture but I will assume this because I have true 1080P

06-16-14 01:52 PM
    Funny, the best buy rep recommended the Roku 3 over the wifi blue ray player. Not all reps know their stuff! After reading reviews, I chose the Roku 3, works for me and happy with it. Too many channels and no issues with lag, great quality picture but I will assume this because I have true 1080P

Roku is a great option. I just think if you're spending $100 spend it on something that'll let you do more for the same price.

Posted via CB10
    SmileDahling likes this.
    06-16-14 02:12 PM
    I love my Roku 3. Great Netflix player, pandora, channels for all the kid networks. I would say good to pair with a provider that allows streaming access.

A little bit bitter that Xfinity doesn't allow HBO GO

I would love a world where Roku replaces the cable box experience entirely
    06-16-14 02:15 PM
    I will try to see a video about the blue ray player.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-14 04:06 PM
    I'm happy with the Chromecast. Just had to replace the playbook to get full use out of it. An Andy tab and a Chromecast are a great combination
    06-16-14 08:19 PM
    I bought my Roku hdmi at Walmart for 50 bucks. It's a good deal great buy.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 10:09 PM
    I have both a Samsung blu-ray player and a Roku. I can't speak for the Sony blu-ray players (probably much better quality than the Samsung) but Roku blows it out of the water in terms of ease of use and the ability to connect to my wireless network.

The samsung would not connect no matter how many different configs I tried. The roku connected no problem. Just my experience. :-)

Posted via my beautiful Q10
    I find the exact same thing that you do. Have the same setup and really love my roku. As for the extra channels it has, as someone posted. I check out everything and a lot of them are free
    06-25-14 09:29 PM
    I love my Roku 3. Great Netflix player, pandora, channels for all the kid networks. I would say good to pair with a provider that allows streaming access.

A little bit bitter that Xfinity doesn't allow HBO GO

I would love a world where Roku replaces the cable box experience entirely
    It might get to that point soon. Cable providers are suffering big time right now. I don't care if roku does't have the movies until the next day in a lot of instances. It doesn't kill me to have to wait. Cable companies are too expensive. A lot of people even with a bundle are paying over 100 bucks a month. I use roku for netflix and hulu plus, each at 8 bucks a month and dont miss cable in the least. I disconnected my box the next day after it was installed, although didn't cancel it as comcast told me they would charge me 80 bucks a month just for internet, and I told them no go
    06-25-14 09:32 PM
    Has anyone being able to play videos and music saved on your bb10 device and being able to play on TV trough roku?

I don't want to use plex. I noticed roku has a free channel to do this but even though the phone connects, it does not find the videos on my phone.

I think is cause my media is saved on my memory card.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 02:32 PM

Z10STL100-2/10.2.2.1531
    08-28-14 10:12 PM
    Something that Roku can do that Blu-Ray players can't is run Plex.
    At one time some LG Blu-Rays could but they were never updated.

I have three Ruku 3 devices in my house. No cable, satellite or any other TV service.
    I run a Windows Home Server running Plex Server. Plex Server is supplying TV Shows and Movies to the three Roku(s).
    The Windows server is also running uTorrent and theRenamer to download torrent through RSS feeds. Everything is automatic.

So, yes I recommend Roku. I have no use for a device that plays disks.
    09-08-14 06:50 PM